« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Smoking & Noisy Engine......Possible Injector Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
GaryLaird

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Boxbrownie wrote:
Compression test first I reckon.......I wonder if there might have been a bit of water ingestion?

yep...should have done this at the very beginning. Need to buy a diesel compression tester and use the injector holes. I assume the kit would come with something injector like that can be clamped in place? What to do regarding the diesels lines when doing this test. Disconnect diesel from filter to pump?

Water ingestion is possible I guess but there has been no sign of water anywhere around the air inlet that I've seen so far. 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #370266 15th Apr 2019 6:28 pm
GaryLaird

alex_pescaru wrote:
It's obvious, from the engine vibrations and frequency of sound, that one of the four cylinder entities is not working properly.
I, for one, I would disconnect the electrical connection to each injector, one injector at the time, and see if it's the same.

Beware, if you will do it!!!!
Being piezo injectors, DO NOT disconnect them when the engine is running, because you can remain with an open injector and you don't want an injector to continuously inject fuel from the high pressure rail with the engine running...
Stop engine, disconnect injector, start engine, listen, stop engine..... etc.

Disclaimer: of course, if you will do it, you will do it at your own risk! Very Happy

Interesting theory.....I never considered that its misfiring. Easy enough test to do. Will report back tomorrow on this. 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #370267 15th Apr 2019 6:31 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Take the fuse out for the pump to stop the flow, but put the injector removed into a small container just catch residual fuel. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #370268 15th Apr 2019 7:05 pm
alex_pescaru

GaryLaird wrote:
Interesting theory.....I never considered that its misfiring. Easy enough test to do. Will report back tomorrow on this.

Not misfiring... Too much fuel...
Starting from the hypothesis that the injectors are functioning correctly, because you've changed them....
I suspect that one or both intake valve remains almost closed for a certain cylinder and the fuel injected is too much for this situation, in absence of air.
Hence the smoking issue too...

Again, beware of dangers for injectors disconnection. Never when running!!!
Read this: Disconnecting Piezo Common Rail Injectors

Post #370271 15th Apr 2019 7:56 pm
GaryLaird

Boxbrownie wrote:
Take the fuse out for the pump to stop the flow, but put the injector removed into a small container just catch residual fuel.

Thumbs Up Only issue now is finding the correct tester kit that will work with the LR2 injector mountings. The ones that are affordable, I don't think would work Sad 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #370273 15th Apr 2019 8:32 pm
GaryLaird

alex_pescaru wrote:
GaryLaird wrote:
Interesting theory.....I never considered that its misfiring. Easy enough test to do. Will report back tomorrow on this.

Not misfiring... Too much fuel...
Starting from the hypothesis that the injectors are functioning correctly, because you've changed them....
I suspect that one or both intake valve remains almost closed for a certain cylinder and the fuel injected is too much for this situation, in absence of air.
Hence the smoking issue too...

Again, beware of dangers for injectors disconnection. Never when running!!!
Read this: Disconnecting Piezo Common Rail Injectors

Ahh....right. I have also replaced the throttle body on the car....should have explained that. Are there individual air controls to each cylinder? 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #370275 15th Apr 2019 8:37 pm
alex_pescaru

No.

Post #370276 15th Apr 2019 9:53 pm
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Not sure if this helps or not, but listening to your engine video above, my Freely made that exact clattering sound for the ten seconds or so before it stalled and went dead - a valve had dropped into the number two pot and destroyed it plus the head and block.

That was just over six weeks ago, and the exchange engine now fitted turned out to have two faulty injectors... yes, really... and while the smoke and rough running at cold start was there, the exchange unit never gave any of that clattering noise at all with the faulty injectors and everything else new inside the engine, so I would agree with Alex and look also at moving parts inside yours... and take care that you don’t experience what happened to mine... my bank account was dented much more by that valve than the original number two piston!! Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #370281 16th Apr 2019 5:41 am
GaryLaird

Deafender wrote:
Not sure if this helps or not, but listening to your engine video above, my Freely made that exact clattering sound for the ten seconds or so before it stalled and went dead - a valve had dropped into the number two pot and destroyed it plus the head and block.

That was just over six weeks ago, and the exchange engine now fitted turned out to have two faulty injectors... yes, really... and while the smoke and rough running at cold start was there, the exchange unit never gave any of that clattering noise at all with the faulty injectors and everything else new inside the engine, so I would agree with Alex and look also at moving parts inside yours... and take care that you don’t experience what happened to mine... my bank account was dented much more by that valve than the original number two piston!!

Obviously not what I want to hear but of course you could be entirely correct. Local to me there is a backstreet 4x4 garage specializing in Land Rover and they sell/use a lot of 2nd hand parts.....a bit of a breakers yard as well as a garage. I think I might throw the car at them to see if they can figure out the issue and indeed source a replacement engine if required. I still have my fingers crossed that its not a terminal engine problem (at only 65k miles) but prepared for the worst. Sad 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #370318 16th Apr 2019 5:11 pm
GaryLaird

alex_pescaru wrote:
It's obvious, from the engine vibrations and frequency of sound, that one of the four cylinder entities is not working properly.
I, for one, I would disconnect the electrical connection to each injector, one injector at the time, and see if it's the same.

Beware, if you will do it!!!!
Being piezo injectors, DO NOT disconnect them when the engine is running, because you can remain with an open injector and you don't want an injector to continuously inject fuel from the high pressure rail with the engine running...
Stop engine, disconnect injector, start engine, listen, stop engine..... etc.

Disclaimer: of course, if you will do it, you will do it at your own risk! Very Happy

Managed to get on to this today. Disconnecting each injector in turn I found that injector 1 & 4 seem to make no difference when disconnected. Injector 2 & 3.....although the difference is subtle given the amount of vibration and jugging that's going on would stall the engine after a few seconds. So this suggests that cylinder 1 & 4 are Censored or at least having little effect! So whats next....compression test? I guess its either a fault in whatever controls the injectors or something rather terminal in cylinders 1&4? 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #370412 17th Apr 2019 5:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12