Home > General > Gearbox loss of 2nd and reverse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
zx10ninja

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
Gearbox loss of 2nd and reverse

Hi All,
New to the site and Land rover Very Happy and would like to know if any other FL2 owner has suffered with there gearbox loosing 2nd and reverse gears? I picked up our FL2 hse on a 07 plate with 24k on the clock this saturday morning and set off on a 150 mile trip up north. Every thing was perfect going up the A1 untill we stoped in trafic, then when pulling away and trying to change from 1st to 2nd nothing happened. the gear stick was very light and never engaged anything so changed to 3rd and got moving. We then pulled over at the next service stop and managed to get 2nd changing down and when stoped in the car park it started to engage again. I then decided to carry on our travels but that didnt last long as we could not find reverse to get out of the car parking space! Big Cry Phoned the dealer who said to ring the recovery firm and they would return us and the car to the dealers who would then give us a temp car. We were given a disco3 se and prommised that they would do erery thing possible to compensate us for this inconvenience.
I will let you know what the prob was and what/how we are compensated

Post #36708 8th Feb 2009 11:46 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I almost had the same issue. I could get 2nd and reverse but they would only just engage and in some cases I had to hold the lever to stop it jumping out of gear. The dealer sorted it and told me that a gear select cable had jumped out of a clip - simple fix. So hopefully it's not as serious as a gearbox issue! Thumbs Up

Post #36808 9th Feb 2009 8:57 pm
AHoy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Same experience, gear selector cable(s) not refitted properly during the heater mod. Should take no more than about half an hour to get it fixed assuming nothing more serious. Annoying though.

Post #36812 9th Feb 2009 9:51 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Interesting. I had the issue not long after the heater mod, but it happened immediately after getting a towbar fitted Shocked
They had confusion with the rear parking sensors and were repeatedly selecting reverse to test it Evil or Very Mad
Doing that must have mis-aligned a cable??

Post #36849 10th Feb 2009 12:43 pm
kermit the frog

England 2007 LR2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi,

With regard to heater mod & gear selection problems, when i had mine done, they showed me what they had to remove to get it replaced, full centre console out etc bottom part of dash.

So when they build it back up they have to check the gear selector/handbrake adjustment otherwise you could end up with the problems you have had.

Was suprised at how much they had to do to replace the heater & when they told me they only get 1 hour from landrover to do job. So if dealers in hurry things might not be checked properly. I think therefore I am

I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Post #36983 11th Feb 2009 8:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1