Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Do you need to book camping sites??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Do you need to book camping sites??

My partner has recently been ill and is now convalescing. I am wondering whether a motorhome may be suitable for us and to that end are considering hiring one for a week a bit later this year as a "tryout". I have done a little caravanning about 30 years ago, but nothing since then...……….I expect things will have changed somewhat

At present we have no particular agenda and are wondering whether in general, outside of school holidays, it is necessary to book campsites in advance, or whether we can just turn up and expect to find a pitch available??

Many thanks

Steve

Post #367747 4th Mar 2019 4:01 pm
Largered

I go away for 6 months during the summer .......... and have never booked ......... in this country or abroad.

Post #367748 4th Mar 2019 4:05 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

In view of your circumstances, for this trip I would suggest booking to reduce the hassle, and also picking in advance sites with nice outlooks and handy pubs. If you say what area you would like to visit there will be lots of suggestions from folk on here. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #367753 4th Mar 2019 4:35 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Motor-Caravanning supplied me with some of the best holidays I have ever had.
To get the best out of it you need to go to the wilds of Scotland or somewhere similar.

The higher driving position gives great views, and you have your own cooking facilities (and toilet).

You can't beat, being able to pull over when you find a nice view, and then preparing a meal and eating it outdoors looking at around you.

Click image to enlarge

Fantastic.

(1981 Bedford CF Autosleeper SV100 -- first fibre glass motor caravan to be produced)

PS I still own it, but alas it is at the bottom of my garden, awaiting restoration of the Bedford part, the actual caravan part is pretty near perfect. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #367764 4th Mar 2019 5:33 pm
Largered

Metro, Was that photo taken at the Three Counties Show Ground Malvern ?

I think, and know from experience, Scotland has changed since you holidays there .......

TripAdvisor comment

Too many Motorhomes
Review of North Coast 500
Reviewed 27 May 2018
We are just back from Northern Scotland, an expedition we have done very many times over the years. The 'marketing' of the NC 500 has ruined it for us. Only a week ago between Scourie & Melvich we counted nearly 100 motor homes, often travelling in packs. On the SE side of Loch Eriboll we were faced by two car/caravan combinations, travelling in close company completely unaware of the protocols for single track roads with passing places.
One wonders how much business these vehicles bring to the area - obviously not overnight accommodation, presumably just camp site fees & supermarket food supplies.
Luckily we know plenty of other non NC 500 scenic roads not yet discovered by the hoards.More
Date of experience: May 2018

I actually did the Scotland 500, in 2016, and can confirm ........ too many motorhomes of all shapes and sizes filled Scotland.
As for the Isle of Skye, too many people and too many vehicles, the locals say Skye is ruined in the summer.

As the BBC reported.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40874488

Last edited by Largered on 4th Mar 2019 5:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #367768 4th Mar 2019 5:52 pm
ronp

Scotland 

I prefer always to book in advance, that way you know where you're going to get your head down at night.
I'm certainly not a 'freeloader' that parks up at beauty site car parks etc.

This is my bus
[not had chance to use it much, might be putting it on the market.]

Click image to enlarge
 FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #367770 4th Mar 2019 5:54 pm
Largered

RonP, when I was on the Med Coast of France, I travelled with a circus for several days ...... free camping and very friendly people.

Post #367771 4th Mar 2019 5:57 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My brother in law has a campsite right on the North Devon coast and prefers people to book. He does have people showing up on spec all year round and if it's out of high season he generally lets them in but prefers to keep the numbers down to avoid overcrowding. In high summer he turns a lot away.

www.stokebartonfarm.co.uk 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #367772 4th Mar 2019 5:57 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

I always used to pre-book after planning my routes to cut down driving times, agree with Scotland now I was up through Glen Coe and they were like something out of a Western film taking up all the rest places, think people gather for a bit of safety.

Where you thinking of going Jenks? If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #367776 4th Mar 2019 6:11 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Largered wrote:
Metro, Was that photo taken at the Three Counties Show Ground Malvern ?

As for the Isle of Skye, too many people and too many vehicles, the locals say Skye is ruined in the summer. .

Yes it was at the Three Counties. I used to go to Autosleepers Club Annual Meet. In the early days it was very good with dances, fireworks and various trade stands.

I did go to Skye one year but we caught the ferry back early next morning as the midges were getting in everywhere.

Before our Motorvan trips we used to holiday each year with friends in their static caravan in a bay overlooking Jura at Tayvallich, Kintyre.
They had a small boat and we had some wonderful times exploring the islands and coast.

I think that Scotland is beautiful, although I have to admit to bias as I was born in St Andrews (to English parents)

As regarding parking overnight, unless you are well away from civilisation, you are safer on a proper site. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #367798 4th Mar 2019 11:35 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Re: Do you need to book camping sites??

jenks1950 wrote:
My partner has recently been ill and is now convalescing. I am wondering whether a motorhome may be suitable for us Steve

I fully understand where you are coming from Steve as I am blocked from a choice of travel options now and will be spending the balance of my leisure time in UK
Over 50 years ago 3 of us toured to the top of Scotland for a week in a Ford Anglia mostly wild camping and not that long after with others I went in a open topped series one Land Rover for 2 weeks using 13 Gallons of oil from Yorkshire and back. Most of the roads up the West Coast were single track then and a few lochs were still crossed by small 6 car ferries. Pubs closed at 10 and were closed on Sundays and no tourists. That old romantic Scotland is now a thing of the past.

My wife and I have tossed this about and for a number of years thought of touring in the highlands in May, fewer people then, no midges and long daylight but Motor-homes have become the new middle class add on and they add next next to nothing to the local economies visited. I first came across a local hating of them in Scandinavia 30 years ago due to Germans touring to the North Cape and back and buying nothing, more recently I have found the New Zealanders have a love hate relationship with visitors using them. Only recently I found about 6 vans crammed together on the local moors (as it was free) but why would I want to be with 5 other vans crammed in a pull off, that is not my style and now in most of wilder Scotland wild camping is taboo.

When you look at the purchasing and running costs and where you can actually park one in a town if shopping I would say booking a holiday cottage a few times a year makes far more sense and off peak season they can be good value and you walk away not having a van to keep up to going nowhere most of the time. Maybe best hiring one to start with but to answer your initial question off season I would feel comfortable not booking months in advance and with mobile phones you can chop and change your route. High season you are going to need to in the hot spots but then it begs the question why have a van in the first place and be amongst the great unwashed.

Enjoy whatever you do. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Last edited by Yorky Bob on 5th Mar 2019 11:35 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #367802 5th Mar 2019 8:22 am
JulesK

Can be a busy time if you're doing everything yourself due to your better half being unable. Toilet emptying, fetching water, levelling van, remembering to put aerial down Embarassed then doing all again to move somewhere else,
Not trying to put you off but pointing few things out. I loved it, swmbo would have clothes food etc ready on a Friday, chuck everything in works van including the dogs 3 miles across Cardiff to storage swap over to van up in Aperporth by 1900hrs, plugged in electrics and water having a beer by 2100hrs, leave Sunday night. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #367809 5th Mar 2019 11:29 am
cqr

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

IanMetro wrote:
Motor-Caravanning supplied me with some of the best holidays I have ever had.
To get the best out of it you need to go to the wilds of Scotland or somewhere similar.

The higher driving position gives great views, and you have your own cooking facilities (and toilet).

You can't beat, being able to pull over when you find a nice view, and then preparing a meal and eating it outdoors looking at around you.

Click image to enlarge

Fantastic.

(1981 Bedford CF Autosleeper SV100 -- first fibre glass motor caravan to be produced)

PS I still own it, but alas it is at the bottom of my garden, awaiting restoration of the Bedford part, the actual caravan part is pretty near perfect.

I have to agree love motor homes, tried a caravan not for me 2008 xs
Snorkel
raised axle/gearbox breathers
Mantec tank guard
Cb radio
Blanked EGR
Sump guard
Scratches
Snolkle

Post #367820 5th Mar 2019 12:54 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Thanks for all the replies, advice and opinions, that has been really interesting and helpful

We have just had to cancel our planned walking holiday in Mallorca and so I had just wondered whether a motor home may be something for us. Interesting the comments regarding how they can become disliked in some areas. I can "get that" where there are large numbers and they are pitching where they shouldn't and I can also see the issue of them not contributing to local economies I have in the past wondered on seeing a large RV towing a small car behind, whether that has been a result of the recent pension fund reforms!!
Anyway, a weeks rental seemed like a good way of seeing whether it suited us and sort of thinking about heading from Hertfordshire over to Gloucester to see my daughter, who will have just had a baby, and then heading down to North Devon for a few days. Definitely not wanting to log up too many miles. Looking for rest and relaxation

Thanks again everyone

Steve

Post #367879 5th Mar 2019 10:16 pm
JulesK

Enjoy Thumbs Up If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #367887 6th Mar 2019 7:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>