« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Mud flaps?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Mud flaps?

I will drive mostly on-read, with very occaisionally off-road.

Do you recommend mud flaps. ?

Are there any disadvanages with mud flaps?

Do they 'look' good or bad?

Post #36573 7th Feb 2009 4:16 pm
PA51 ELY

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi

I had Mudflaps fitted to my first FL2 , a Silver XS.

I'm now on my second FL2, this time a Stornaway SE with Body kit.

The flaps cannot be fitted to the body kit so I do not have them anymore. I have not noticed any difference to spray on the car or water on the back window without them. My gallery has some pics of them on my first car if you want a look.

Hope this helps

Post #36580 7th Feb 2009 5:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the pics. Seeing them, I'm glad to also be going for Stornoway Grey. Looks great.

On your old one (silver?) I see you had the side body mouldings. What are your thoughts on these? Being in black plastic they don't look too chic, but perhaps a useful protection against knocks from other cars in the car park.

Post #36639 8th Feb 2009 10:43 am
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
mud flaps

i find they do stop spray, on the tailgate and rear window,esp when going 50 mph plus when the road is wet,it also stops the muck on the lower side of rear bumper the grey plastic lower part.im going to get front ones soon.my fl2 is black so its noticeable more than any other colour.

Post #36640 8th Feb 2009 11:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PA51 ELY

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Stornoway Grey

oakwood wrote:
Thanks for the pics. Seeing them, I'm glad to also be going for Stornoway Grey. Looks great.

On your old one (silver?) I see you had the side body mouldings. What are your thoughts on these? Being in black plastic they don't look too chic, but perhaps a useful protection against knocks from other cars in the car park.

I got the mud flaps, body side mouldings and side steps as a package when I purchased from new. Idea of side moulding is, as you say, to stop dings on the doors in car parks. They are not very chic and would not fit to my current model as would spoil the look. Would work well on a Black FL2 as they come body coloured for free!

Post #36660 8th Feb 2009 2:27 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Mudflaps definitely keep some of the spray going up the side from the front wheels and must also help with the tailgate; however, even with mudflaps, the rear panel is a magnet for raod dirt!

The only downside is a very marginal loss of aerodynamics and hence fuel economy. When manufacturers determine the road resistance of their vehicles before the approval testing for emissions and fuel economy, they take them to Spain or similar where the air is warm and thin, all the lubricants and nice and thin, the brakes are serviced to be sure that the pads are not touching and there are no unecessary impediments fitted that would affect airflow, like mudflaps, roof rails, sunroof, , GPS aerial, etc. Probably has the smallest allowable front number plate too! Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #36665 8th Feb 2009 3:58 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Had front flaps and have recently fitted rears. They stop a bit of spray onto body underside and up onto rear - but not much, in my opinion.

Note: Rears are easy to fit. Fronts a little more difficult, I understand.

I thought emissons and economy testing was done on a rolling road in a lab. This is why they bear no resemblance to real life driving but ARE comparable from vehicle to vehicle (as the tests are standardised).

Post #36676 8th Feb 2009 6:51 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

They dont stop the spray from a wet road getting onto the rear window, I'm always having to use the rear wiper to keep the window clear but they do keep the bottom half of the bumper clean Confused ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #36702 8th Feb 2009 10:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1