« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Middle lane hoggers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Geoff

""" if you then pull in front of a vehicle, in lane two, when you catch up with the slower one, in lane one, you have "technically" undertaken it""".

I do not agree; according to the rule 268, you have not undertaken but are "passing traffic in the lane to your right". That is the completion of one traffic event.

When, as you say, you catch up with the slower vehicle in your lane 1, then you have to commence a separate driving manoeuvre, and overtake that vehicle in accordance with your earlier rule.

Post #356858 14th Sep 2018 10:02 am
Navigator

Scotland 

Just to complicate the concept further, the layout on motorways approaching a junction are being modified so that in place of a slip/decelleration road there are a number of lanes to the main carriageway that then seperate to go their different ways. This extends in some places for miles before the actual divide (not that it gets drivers to travel in the appropriate lane for their destination though!). So we have fast traffic in lane two that will be the "outside" lane of the split passing slow vehicles that are in lane three, but they will be the "inside" lane for the right split.

Proper lane markings would be a help - but paint is sooo expensive. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #356876 14th Sep 2018 1:38 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I always keep to the left, but having said that, I make an exception when the 50mph signs are showing. Then, if there are lots of lorries around, I tend to stay in lane 2 (and go slightly faster if necessary, as once you are below 56mph the lorries become very menacing.

Sadly we had a fatallity just south on the M5 when a lorry ploughed into slow are statioary traffic in the left hand lane. It was heavy traffic trying to leave the motorway at a congested junction.

No Lane is Safe! FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #356896 14th Sep 2018 6:40 pm
rsash

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

Drive in the LHL and you have some Dick drive 2mph faster than you drive in your blindspot and stop you pulling out, the problem is not the middle lane hoggers it is the Dicks that stop you pulling out when you come to a slower vehicle

Post #356909 14th Sep 2018 8:45 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

rsash
I agree, I seem to get a few other drivers that when they spot me in the LHL, they move up and fly in perfect formation with me, in so much that if I alter my cruise control, they change speed and still stay with me.

My only solution is to think well ahead, and when it looks like I am about to be hemmed in, increase my speed so that I move into the free space, to pull out around the lorry (or whatever) and re-join the LHL as soon as possible. I normally find that the formatting car increases speed and passes me, thus leaving me in peace in a mostly empty LHL. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #356914 14th Sep 2018 9:09 pm
rsash

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

And what about the Dicks that drive in the middle lane following the car in front but will not speed up until that car pulls over, then speed up until they find a slower car, so slow down until they move over but refuse to use the third lane to overtake, but are happy to block the proper driver in the RHL. Don't critisse the 'Hogger' when you will not let them pull out.

Post #356917 14th Sep 2018 9:23 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

There are a lot more of them about than one might think. When towing a trailer I'm not supposed to use the right hand lane if there is more than two, and often come upon a lorry being followed by a stream of cars at less than 60 mph. None of the cars will use the empty lane to their right to overtake.

However, once the lorry pulls to a lane on its left, away they all go speeding up to 70 mph or more. So I have then to catch up all that space that was full of slow cars that I could have occupied to catch up on the lorry. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #356920 14th Sep 2018 10:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12