« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Landrover complimentary 1/2 day offroading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Landrover complimentary 1/2 day offroading

I'm off to Malvern (Eastnor Castle) tomorrow, to put the FL2 through her paces off road. Any body else been to Malvern or had their complimentary day yet at one of the other sites??? I've done the Rockingham Castle circuit near Corby in the FL1 and the Disco 2, both good days and impressive what the cars can do. The sales guy at my dealer suggested I go to Malvern next time for a change of scenery and he said the circuit was much wetter than at Rockingham. Hopefully our dry spell has not made things like Salt Lake City.....I am hoping for some mud and sludge, even if it is just to get the wife dirty...

Let me know your findings chaps and Scottie and I'll post my comments over the weekend hopefully

Wish me luck!! Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #2700 26th Apr 2007 10:13 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I've been on the experience course at Newton Longville near Milton Keynes - it was agreat day, helped by the fact it had snowed heavily the day before Very Happy . A lot of the hill stuff is man made, but that didn't detract from the fun.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your malvern day.

Post #2708 27th Apr 2007 8:54 am
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

We did our LR experience at Llandderfel near Bala. The weather was very wet. The car we were in was a FL2 TD4 HSE manual. The car performed brilliantly in the mud and never got stuck. The instructor was very polite and helpful. Hope to go back on the day course next winter.
Oh! by the way I'd like to see a Honda CRV do that amount of mud bashing. Very Happy

waaxh03

Post #2723 27th Apr 2007 8:59 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wish you lots of fun Carl. I think that the next time I travel to UK I'll arrange for something similar. Let us know how the LR2 behaved... Thumbs Up

Post #2725 28th Apr 2007 7:14 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

You'll have great fun and be surprised what it can do, that is what te 1/2 day experience is about. I'd recommend you have a go at the full day level 1 then level 2 courses (ususally run in D3 or Defenders) and really learn about off roading. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #2727 28th Apr 2007 1:25 pm
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Booked my 1/2 day complimentary at Coniston Hall.

Booked about 2 weeks ago, and first date available was 8th July.

Hope its worth the wait.

By the way Mercedes do a similar free 1/2 day experience in their new GL and ML's. Abosolutely amazing what you can throw at 2.5 tons of GL, and a quick motor to boot aswell. How ever I still cant afford the £70K asking price for the 5L petrol, so will stick with Freelander for a while!!

Just fill in a test drive enquiry on their website.

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #2736 29th Apr 2007 5:13 pm
carlfraz

Well Guys and (Scottie!!), had the half day at Malvern Experience Centre, sorry its a long one but stick with it if you can be bothered -Thanks!

The tutor we had, seemed keen on keeping us in the office as the people who arrived after us went out before us, after the 'read here and sign here' waiver had been 'read and signed'. We also arrived back first Mad Mad !!!!!!! as it transpired the instructor we had was 'on loan' and did not know the circuit too well. He argued the dealers kept sending new Landy owners on these courses and they were not supposed to(!!), they were designed to be for 'potential new Landrover clients who had not experienced a Landrover, not people like us who had already bought a vehicle'. I had just invested £35K of my hard earned in their product, so, I EXPECT to be shown its capabilities 100%, not taken on a 'quick wizz round the block'!! The guy said he was supposed to show us an hour on road too, which I said seemed pointless as we had just driven for nearly three bloody hours in an FL2 to get there!!! and had covered 6K in the last three months so was fairly confident I knew how she performed ON ROAD, it was OFFROAD I was seeking experience .....is it me or are people just bloody STUPID!!!???.........anyway...

We did do about two hours or so off road (from a three hour window), which yes, the guy was nice and chilled and chatty, and yes kept referring to his map!!, OK it was on a 5000 acres estate but he had no idea where he was going, which he admitted to...anyway, the car behaved great, we were impressed, but due to the good weather we have had recently, it was not as wet as we were hoping for, so the car followed the previously dry laid tracks perfectly in beautiful scenery with either me or the wife (Catherine) driving some steep climbs and declines but nothing I would class as...TESTING, for any of us. We seemed to drift about not knowing where we were going, referring to the map quite often which did not fill us with confidence.

The car and Malvern circuit were actually perfect (if a little dry due to the weather), and had we had a tutor who was familiar with the circuits and not intent on getting the car back so he could wash it, it would have been great as the car did whatever we asked on the circuit we were given.

We have been to Rockingham previously run by Ed and Vince, I think Cobly (is their surname)??, father and son team. The circuit is not so gorgeous as Malvern, but Ed and Vince far better demonstrate, the features, and get you out the cars so you can physically watch how the cars perform, as a spectator, seeing a Freelander with one gripping wheel whilst two are 'off the ground' and the third is 'in sh*t' is great to see. Its then, and only then, you realise how good these cars are. The ideal solution would be to get Ed and Vince down to Malvern. I think Vince, the son, was the 'European Off Road Champion' and he sure showed it on the day.

In summary, site was 9/10, car 7/10 but would have been better with a better tutor...this is not saying the car is only worthy of 7 out of ten, it warrants more, but the guy who demonstrated sold it short.

When the 'buy back auto' arrives with us in July I hope to get another 1/2 day voucher, so will definately be going to either Rockingham to see Ed and Vince, or we may try the other 'Chiltern' site at Milton Keynes which is closer to home.

CONCLUSION: CAR IS GREAT AND IS MORE CAPABLE THAN WHAT MOST OF US TARMAC USERS WILL EVER THROW AT IT. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Hope this is a fair assessment guys?? Bow down

Post #2740 29th Apr 2007 10:15 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I've done 3 LRE's at Dunkeld paid for by LR/Dealer and I have also done 2 private days there - 1 run by the Disco3 forums and I ran a very successful event for members of the Freelander Club. On both the private days we used our own cars on the LRE and had instructors with us. I have always enjoyed these days out and before my 1st one was advised to upgrade to the full day.......................... I would pass that advice on to anybody considering doing an LRE course, and if you have already done the first level then ask to do a level 2 course when you book. The full day comes with a packed lunch and at Dunkeld you spend the morning on their training grounds and in the afternoon you get to go out into the wilds of the Blair Atholl Estate on trails laid by the LRE staff. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #2748 30th Apr 2007 12:13 am
tamboradave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame

Hi Guys,

How long after you purchased you FL2, before you were offered this 1/2 day event?

I've not had anything from LR as yet.... although it's only been a month or so.

Regards,

David

Post #2764 30th Apr 2007 1:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

The invites don't come automatically from LR, you dealer has to send your name to LRE, unless you want to book and pay for it yourself. The dealer won't automatically send you as they have to pay for you to go, you have to be a pretty special client these days. The system was changed last year when evrybody who bought a new or used Land Rover product from a dealer got invited automatically. Unfortunately too few people took up the offer which is why it is now a dealer recommendation.

Ask your dealer why he doesn't think you are worth an invite - it's going to cost him some £350 to get you there! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #2765 30th Apr 2007 1:23 pm
carlfraz

Sorry tamboradave, I didn't reply to your question...very rude of me but Tim part covered it. On handover your dealer gives you a voucher which needs to be redeemed within three months, if they haven't give em hell fella as you should be entitled. Failing that call Landrover andd ask you have a go they will send you a form.

Its a good crack, you will enjoy it Thumbs Up

Post #3442 28th May 2007 11:00 pm
highbridgeflyer

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

carlfraz wrote:
Sorry tamboradave, I didn't reply to your question...very rude of me but Tim part covered it. On handover your dealer gives you a voucher which needs to be redeemed within three months, if they haven't give em hell fella as you should be entitled. Failing that call Landrover andd ask you have a go they will send you a form.

Its a good crack, you will enjoy it Thumbs Up

Think we need a bit of clarity here.

I am a former LRE instructor now turned sales exec for a LR dealer. As allready said, you used to get a free half day OFF ROAD voucher when you bought a new car. But LR or there masters have realised that the vast majority of customers never go off road. Given the cost to the company this entailed, the scheme was re-launched as a prospect voucher.

Your instructor was partially right. The voucher is aimed at prospective new customers, not just looking at a new model, but new to the brand. This is why you get your session split between on- road and off road. The off road bit is aimed at nothing more than a taster to what the car is capable of and nothing more. If you want more, the idea is that you book a half day awarness, level 1 or 2 etc.

I have been known to give out vouchers, post sale, but I have to have a good reason for my DP. Dont get me wrong here, I would love to give one out with every car sold. I on the other hand explain fully to the guest / customer what will happen during there session.

As for the instructor moaning, well more fool him. Prospect vouchers form the core work for the centers and therefore his wages. Yes as instructors we would love to spend allday 'teaching offroad techniques' but the truth is there just aint enough work for that (which is why I now work in sales!!)

Im sorry if your day had a tainted feeling to it. Maybe have a chat with your dealer??? If one of my customers had been treated in this manner they would have another voucher straight away.

Hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #3455 29th May 2007 6:56 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

The D3 sites run training sessions for newbies at LRE venues (Rockingham) organised by 10forcash. The new schemes aren't as good as the old ones and you can't upgrade them like you used to be able to. If there is a group wanting to do it I'm sure 10forcash would organise it for you. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #3500 31st May 2007 1:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1