« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > AutoSocks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AHoy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
AutoSocks

Anyone have experience of using the AutoSocks snow/ice traction aids?
Apparently they provide major traction improvements on both 2WD and 4WD vehicles.

For our local (SW UK) weather I can't justify the cost of a full set of winter tyres or snow chains for the two cars in our family, but need something for the odd occasion when it does snow or we travel to snowy locations.

Post #34299 9th Jan 2009 6:21 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

Do a search on 'jeko'.

A couple of us have bought the 'snow belts' including me.

They fit okay, but I haven.t used them yet.

Post #34312 9th Jan 2009 7:46 pm
AHoy

I did consider the Jeko devices but the "sock" type are lighter, more compact to stow and importantly the easiest for fitting/removal (lady drivers in mind!)

Post #34317 9th Jan 2009 9:13 pm
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Don't really think you need snow chains, socks or anything for the amount of snow we get in the UK.

I was really impressed with my FL2 when we got 6" of snow around Leeds.

The FL2 hardly ever lost traction when everything else around was slip sliding about.

Went up and down 1 in 4s with ease.

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #34380 10th Jan 2009 10:43 pm
AHoy

Mark,

Agree with your favourable comments on FL2 capability on "OE" tyres in typical UK winter weather.

I was mainly interested in AutoSocks as emergency traction aids for the front wheel drive Mazda we have and possibly for back-up use on the FL2 on trips to snowier locations. Eventually I will get good all-season tyres or both summer and winter tyre sets for the FL2, depending on what is available v. price/performance.

I have ordered some AutoSocks for the Mazda so will report back on performance if they ever get used in anger.
I have also ordered Spike-Spider chains for serious snow/ice conditions and any visits to areas where chains are compulsory (e.g. French Alps). These are intended for the FL2 but are also a long term "investment" as they can be used on other vehicles and should last me for as long as I want to drive on snow and ice Smile

Alan.

Post #34391 11th Jan 2009 10:39 am
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Good stuff

Will be interested to see how you get on then.

I assume the Autosocks are a universal fit size then.

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #34400 11th Jan 2009 12:01 pm
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Find your size here:
http://www.compaction.com/picview.asp?pid=45832&pictype=c

An example ( 235/65R17) size 93 = green

Get them on:
http://www.compaction.com/picview.asp?pid=45832&pictype=b LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #34408 11th Jan 2009 12:47 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

I have never tried them, but I hear they are great. Many use them here in Norway from what I understand.

But I drive a Freelander 2 with proper winter-tyres, so I dont need them. Nor chains. Cool 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #34449 11th Jan 2009 9:45 pm
AHoy

VIKING wrote:
I have never tried them, but I hear they are great. Many use them here in Norway from what I understand.

Viking, thanks for the feedback on the AutoSocks.

VIKING wrote:
But I drive a Freelander 2 with proper winter-tyres, so I dont need them. Nor chains. Cool

I hope for the same capability with all-weather or winter tyres on the FL2. The chains are a long term purchase for the FL2 and any other vehicle I use that might need them (wished I'd had them a few times when I had my motorhomes on snow or mud Crying or Very sad ) Not forgetting chains are compulsory to carry (not necessarily use) in some regions in Europe during winter.

I spent a couple of years working in Norway ('98/'99) and remember how well drivers managed in the snow, very few 4WDs then, no chains - but everyone on studded winter tyres. Plenty of snow to make it worthwhile though. Being a motorcyclist the biggest surprise for me was seeing an Oslo police motorcyclist riding a Honda Pan-European (heavy 1100cc bike) in the snow - on studded tyres Shocked

Post #34455 11th Jan 2009 10:51 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Well, since I drive FL2, I dont need studded tyres either. Just good winter-tyres without studs.

It's a Land Rover, you know. Cool 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #34458 11th Jan 2009 11:43 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The only thing you should need socks for is to you keep the tyres warm Embarassed

Still for the under paid Freely drivers that can’t afford an extra set of wheels with Proper Winter Tyres fitted Rolling Eyes I suppose SOCKS are the answer Question It’s just getting your priorities right and in this case understanding that it’s not just ice and snow conditions that you will benefit from using winter tyres in winter Shocked 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #34462 12th Jan 2009 7:50 am
AHoy

AutoSocks are NOT for the FL2 Banging Head ...unless I think it looks cute with them on Wink

Current "All Season" tyres are fine for UK use for now, with chains IF necessary for any freak snowy weather conditions (i.e. more than 2cm in UK Laughing ).

As noted, I am one of the poor amongst Land Rover owners Big Cry so can't rush out and buy winter tyres and extra wheels until the busking improves. I don't need convincing about winter tyres as I have spent a lot of time driving in Scandinavia and Central Europe in cars, vans and trucks (being at the wheel of 18m truck/44 tonnes sliding around on ice Shocked focuses the mind on grip/traction). I WILL get some ... just priorities and financial reality.

How do UK winter tyre prices compare with other countries?
Typical price UKP per tyre fitted
Pirelli Scorpion £168
Bridgestone Blizzak £170
Conti 4X4 winter contact £180
Michelin Latitude Alpin £206

That makes around £1,000 up-front cost for 5 tyres fitted, plus either extra wheels or twice a year charges for tyre changes. OK, same running costs as any other tyres once purchased, just that initial payment.

Post #34468 12th Jan 2009 10:49 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Winter tyres on a set of alloys are the first "extra" we normally negotiate or get included on a new car deal, because all vehicles must have them here. Therefore all second hand vehicles will have them as well. I don’t know when the price for tyres for a FL2 would be as mine is not old enough yet to necessitate a price check, but the prices you mention would be about right here as well I guess.

As several Scandinavian drivers have earlier mentioned “all season” tyres are not recommended these days as they have considerably poorer properties for summer use as well for winter use compared to specific season tyres. You may get away with it in the UK, but remember a half worn all season tyre used in slippery winter conditions is as good as useless. It therefore comes down to economics – If you can afford a FL2 (or any premium vehicle) then you should also afford the correct premium tyres to suit the season. As winters seem to get worse for longer in the UK than I can remember when I lived there, maybe it is time for UK drivers to think more about tyres and not just use lots of hard earned cash buying fancy bits to make the vehicle LOOK smart. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #34471 12th Jan 2009 12:16 pm
AHoy

As this thread has moved a long way from the original AutoSocks query and is now more about winter tyres I have continued by posting over on the winter tyres thread. Thanks for the comments snow far Wink

Post #34476 12th Jan 2009 1:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1