Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Towbar advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Towbar advice

Hello All.
I want to fit a towbar, mainly for lugging trailers around, to my FL2 TD4 SE. I'd like a detachable one since I won't use it very often and would prefer not to see it when it's not in use.
I thought I'd try my local dealer (Copley) for a quote. They said well over £700 Shocked That seemed a little disproportionate and I shall be declining their 'kind' offer.
I have fitted one to a 3 series BMW in the past and would be prepared to tackle it again with my beloved FL2. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to the best options given the potential issues with rear parking sensors and electrics not recognising the connection etc. I'd need just one of the old style 7/8 pin connector. I assume I'll have to pay for the dealer firmware update for the electrics??

Any advice gratefully received.

Post #34280 9th Jan 2009 3:31 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

You won't 'not see' the LR detatchable .... well the ball part is missing when removed, but the connector(s) are still very visible. (As shown in the LR accessories catalogue). Slightly disappointing, as in my previous experience with detatchables (Citroen C5) the sockets hinged back and up behind the bumper so no-one was aware a towbar was fitted!

My stealer priced the parts on our Invoice as £391.80 towbar and £282.62 for twin electrics inc vat and fitted when we bought the car in October 2008. It wasn't much less for a fixed towbar....

Post #34285 9th Jan 2009 4:34 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

£700 is the going rate, but I got them to throw it in when I bought it. No experience of any non LR solutions, but mine works OK, with a Thule bike rack & the rear sensors are disabled automatically..even get a trailer indicator warning on the dash Thumbs Up

I'd personally negotiate on the cost as dealers will be wanting all the work they can get right now (not much biz in sales), I'd offer them £500 with the 'want to use my local dealer routine', you want the biz & I want a towbar...may be worth a go? Question

Post #34286 9th Jan 2009 4:35 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Had a Witter Detachable Towbar fitted to the FL2 in the summer with double electrics for £380 all in + £10 for mobile fitting at home. AlltowBars - Company based in Reading. Works perfectly well. No issues at all. Chris

Post #34295 9th Jan 2009 6:12 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I prefer a permanent fitting. In that way, it prevents d***heads hitting your rear bumper when they are trying to park behind you.

Also, of course it protects your rear bumper when you are reverse parking.............. Whistle Whistle

Post #34298 9th Jan 2009 6:17 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've had too many bruises to my legs in the past with permanent tow-bars - it bloody hurts! And the dogs don't like them either, as they jump in and out of the back! Chris

Post #34303 9th Jan 2009 6:36 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I wish my dog could jump in and out of the back.

He's a 55Kg hovawart, so I have to lift him in & out ! Thumbs Up

Post #34304 9th Jan 2009 6:43 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I had a genuine Land Rover detachable bar fitted to mine with 12N and 12S electrics. The Land Rover towbars are made by Brink. I dealt with them directly instead of going through Land Rover and the guy came out to my house and fitted it for £320 inc VAT.

It even has the Land Rover logo on the handle! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Last edited by Mav71 on 9th Jan 2009 7:16 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #34306 9th Jan 2009 7:12 pm
Mav71

Podcast wrote:
£700 is the going rate, :

You are joking! Thats exstorsion! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #34307 9th Jan 2009 7:14 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Mav71 wrote:
I had a genuine Land Rover detachable bar fitted to mine with 12N and 12S electrics. The Land Rover towbars are made by Brink. I dealt with them directly instead of going through Land Rover and the guy came out to my house and fitted it for £320 inc VAT.

It even has the Land Rover logo on the handle!

Now that's more like it. Did Brink put you in touch with an approved installer or is it their own staff.
I agree that £700+ is extortion, particularly since it can be done for half that and there's still a profit in it.

Post #34323 9th Jan 2009 10:54 pm
Mav71

They put me in touch with another company, I think it was CDM towbars. The fitter told me that if I had gone through the dealer, he would have gone there and done it anyway! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #34329 10th Jan 2009 9:13 am
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Mav71 wrote:
Podcast wrote:
£700 is the going rate, :

You are joking! Thats exstorsion!

If you go into any dealer and ask "what's the cost of getting a removable tow-bar fitted?", the answer is about £700, hence why I describe that as the going rate. I agree it's ridiculous, but dealer fitted, that's the deal. I negotiated it into the deal so didn't (& wouldn't) pay that much!

Post #34444 11th Jan 2009 9:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1