« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Castrol Australia Recommend Castrol Edge Sport 0W40
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Castrol Australia Recommend Castrol Edge Sport 0W40

Question Castrol Australia on URL http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/default.asp recommend Castrol Edge Sport 0W40. This meets ACEA B3/B4 as recommended by Yamaha Fan for FL2's without DPF.
I wonder why LR does not recommend this engine oil for Europe. I appreciate that Australia is hotter than the UK but then again there are places that are hotter than Australia that LR recommend the 5W30 Ford 913b spec oil.
Also why do they need oil all the way down to 0W when they don't get temperatures down as low as Scandinavia? Confused

waaxh03

Post #33750 30th Dec 2008 10:56 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

This motor oil is called in Germany "Castrol Edge Formula RS 0W40", and is highly recommended for our Freely 2 TD4, particularely if you have the diesel particulate filter (DPF) fitted. This oil is one of the very rare fully synthetic "low saps" motor oils (low saps = low ash) with an ash content of 0,73 Vol% in comparison to "normal" motor oils with have an ash content of > 1,3 Vol% or higher. The motor oil as per Ford norm WSS...913B is such a normal motor oil and should by all means NOT be used for engines with DPF.

YF

Post #33928 3rd Jan 2009 4:37 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Here we go again - Motor Oil spec. for our FL2 with/without DPF Whistle
It seems that Castrol recommends different oils in different countries and different oils for retail outlets and service stations.

For example Castrol Norway recommend the following for a retail outlet:
EDGE Sport 0W-40
EDGE 5W-30
Magnatec 5W-40 C3

and for a service station:
SLX Professional Longtec 0W-30
SLX Professional 5W-30
TXT Softec 5W-40

Castrol (as LR) DO NOT have different recommendations for FL2 with or without DPF

My service station replaced my oil with SLX Professional Longtec for Volvo 0W-30 (ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5) which is a very expensive oil and not suited for my FL2 with DPF according to YF's recommendations. YF has earlier stated that we (with DPF) should be using ACEA C2 or C3 oils. I have been in contact with LR, UK to get a clear answer to which spec. oil we should be using and they refused to answer by sending my letter to LR, Norway who have already informed me that LR do not specify different oils for FL2 with or without DPF and that motor oil with a min spec of ACEA A1 or B1 is recommended. In their reply to my letter LR Norway also remarked that information discussed on forums like Freel2.com are not to be trusted and always take things out of context Shocked
So, in my mind there seems to be a conspiracy within LR concerning which oil we should use and it is them that are not to be trusted.
It would be VERY interesting if some UK members also wrote direct to LR and asked the same questions as I did and see how they will answer your questions Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #33942 3rd Jan 2009 8:09 pm
waaxh03

yamaha-fan wrote:
This motor oil is called in Germany "Castrol Edge Formula RS 0W40", and is highly recommended for our Freely 2 TD4, particularely if you have the diesel particulate filter (DPF) fitted. This oil is one of the very rare fully synthetic "low saps" motor oils (low saps = low ash) with an ash content of 0,73 Vol% in comparison to "normal" motor oils with have an ash content of > 1,3 Vol% or higher. The motor oil as per Ford norm WSS...913B is such a normal motor oil and should by all means NOT be used for engines with DPF.

YF

Thanks Yamaha-Fan, Yes these two oils are the same. Can I take it that with them having an ACEA rating of A3, B3, B4, C2 and C3 that this oil is suitable for FL2's with and without DPF? Mine is without.
Also will it matter that it is not 5W30 as recommended by LR.
At the moment the car is only doing 3000-4000 miles per year and I wonder if it is really worth paying extra for this oil. But saying that I usually keep my cars for a very long time and also tow a caravan.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Many Thanks
waaxh03

Post #33946 3rd Jan 2009 8:28 pm
waaxh03

Thanks AndyC, As this has appeared many time before it just shows how confusing it is. You have obviously looked into this matter very carefully and sharing the information with us is much appreciated.

waaxh03

Post #33947 3rd Jan 2009 8:45 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi waaxh03, if you intend to keep your Freely 2 for a long time I would use the best motor oil i can get.
The Castol 0W40 Sport is one of the best oils and can safely be used for your Freely 2.

YF

Post #34110 6th Jan 2009 10:19 am
waaxh03

Many Thanks Yamaha-Fan I will take your advise Thumbs Up

Post #34370 10th Jan 2009 8:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1