Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Hesitation/rough idle, but in an unusual way?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Whimpychicken

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Kosrae Green
Hesitation/rough idle, but in an unusual way?

Hey!
First post on the forum! apologies if its in the wrong place! I'm hoping someone could shed some light on a problem that's been plaguing me since I bought my 2011 FL2.
Since I've had the car I've been experiencing a hesitation/rough idle which happens randomly. I've had LR look at it on plenty of occasions but I keep getting fobbed off even with video evidence! but Stratstone is another story for another post!

The problem seems to happen when the A/C is on (90% of the time I see this fault) and you start the car or the start stop system works, on re-start the revs seems to bounce from idle to almost stalling and back repeatedly for a few minutes and then returns to normal unless you drive off where (if you don't stall) it goes away. I've had the car since June 2016 and it was present then but now in 2018 and multiple visits to LR they have no clue! I've also had an independent look and there not 100% sure without changing random parts.

LR's attempt -
New AC compressor, 3 Software updates, 2 MAF sensors, Re calibrations of EGR and now been advised the only thing to try is the turbo?

Independents attempt -
Throttle body, software update (this did help for a while but now it's doing it again!)
Oh and have been told my turbo is fine.... I've also checked and don't see a problem. Smoke tests OK to!!

temperature doesn't seem to effect it, i thought it was fuel so always using premium which i prefer anyway - again no difference.

The only common factor is the A/C being on when the cars started or sometimes if your idling and you switch it on it produces the same symptoms.

Has anyone had a similar fault or any suggestions?

Post #339291 12th Jan 2018 4:38 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Just a thought but could this be a manifestation of the well known 2011 FL2 hesitation problem? (facelift version without the "organ pipes" on the air inlet pipe). There is a whole thread about it on the forum but basically the engine dies randomly when you pull away then picks up, it can lead to nasty situations on roundabouts etc. However it only appears in warmer weather as I understand it. For this problem LR have not found a solution and probably never will now. I had it on our 2011 model and it was never really fixed despite the s/w upgrades and air flow calibration and getting LR customer services involved. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #339294 12th Jan 2018 5:20 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

It has to be worth changing the fuel filter

I have a theory that as it is only officially scheduled to be changed every 2 years it gets missed or the garage just doesn't bother. I had an occasional hesitation and power loss. Messed about with premium fuels etc. New fuel filter at service and it hasn't missed a beat since

Steve

Post #339299 12th Jan 2018 6:52 pm
captin

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

blank the egr off and it will run much smoother also remove the swirl flaps or lock them open if it has flaps that is.

Post #339602 16th Jan 2018 8:13 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Isn't there an issue with blanking off the EGR on a 2011+ model with the DPF and possibly with MOT as well? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #339612 16th Jan 2018 11:18 pm
Whimpychicken

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Kosrae Green

Thanks all for your responses. It sounds like it could be what dorsetfreelander has described. Only difference being it seems to do it in the cold too.

I've just come back from a 1000 mile round trip to France where she was spot on. I only experienced the hesitation once which went as soon as I moved off.

I'll try the fuel filter as service is due in a couple of months so i'll make sure its done. I think its a big one this time anyway...
Stratstone did the last one as a I had a complementary service from them due to the poor service I received so my feeling is it also may not have been done...

Post #340251 23rd Jan 2018 1:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1