« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Two faulty fobs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Two faulty fobs

A bit strange but both fobs are playing up the car was lazy starting tonight my fault I suppose as I have only done some very short trips lately. I have put the c-tech charger on to boost the battery, would a under powered battery cause both fobs to play up?

Post #338937 8th Jan 2018 11:40 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Unlikely, the car communicates with the fobs to disable the alarm and enable it to start. If the car is turning over at all then the fobs are OK . You should look at your battery, ie age, condition, terminals etc. This is the time of year when batteries fail. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #338950 9th Jan 2018 10:37 am
archie98

The battery is now fully charged but I can unlock the car but they don't always want to lock it

Post #338952 9th Jan 2018 10:50 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Is it possible that the problem is with the lock button on the fobs then? Are the fob cases in good condition? When I had that sort they did get progressively harder to press with age. Presumably now the battery is charged it turns the engine over briskly.
If all this fails you might have a door locking problem. Do you hear it try to lock? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #338956 9th Jan 2018 10:56 am
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Archie, how many of the doors fail to lock, is it just one or all of them? One would suggest a failing door lock motor, all would suggest either a tired key fob or power going to all door lock motors due to low battery voltage. The Freelander is very sensitive to the main battery and sometimes a charge will be enough short term but not enough long term. I had starting issues last winter despite doing a good 40 miles to work and back each way every day, eventually the battery didn't have enough go in it to allow the car to start but it turned over fine. I put this down to faulty glow plugs but changed the battery anyway as it looked to be original. This winter the car has started with no problems despite some very cold mornings so it would appear my glow plugs are fine. I would suggest looking at getting a new main battery and see how you go, don't forget also that the key fob batteries, although rechargeable will still only have a finite lifespan before they too fail to hold sufficient charge.

Post #338962 9th Jan 2018 11:42 am
archie98

Thanks for all the replies
The battery is 5 year old I never checked what doors locked the guy who services the car thinks it may be that the fobs need a good charge as all my driving has been very short runs of late.
Main dealers in Chesterfield want £207 for a new one. I did have one repaired around a year ago via a link from here

Post #338970 9th Jan 2018 1:40 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Archie - from my own personal experience I wouldn't touch LR Chesterfield with a barge pole.

it could be that the door locks failing is actually that...... my MY13 had problems with the boot, drivers door and rear passengers side door not unlocking... they replaced the drivers and passenger door locks under warranty and its all sorted.

if your unsure about the key fob batteries send one of the keys to forum member RRUK (he has a thread in for sale/wanted section) He will fully refurb it etc. and replace the battery for £47, if that works fine after that you know it was the key and you can get the other one done later.
If it doesn't fix it then have a look at the door locks, particularly the drivers one.

Post #338974 9th Jan 2018 2:30 pm
archie98

the only trouble is now I dont want to go out in the car in case I cannot lock it . it looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet so to speak and buy a new one then get the others repaired.Both fobs unlock and start the car but only one will lock it but all four doors do eventually lock .
I wonder if it is possible to buy a docking station from a scrap car and try to rig up a charge to it so the spare fob can be charged in the house does any one know what would be required.
Just got off the phone to GL chesterfield they cannot do until 1st of February or I leave the car with them for a couple of days to see if they can fit it in,they also said they require both fobs I assume that so they can then tell me I require both replacing.
I am dropping one off at a guy in Hasland tomorrow he is going to see if he can sort it fingers crossed

Post #338982 9th Jan 2018 4:48 pm
billio

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Narvik Black

You could check on ebay for remote key repairer I have used them on various cars inc FL 2 recently I had similar problems with my remotes and both are now working hope this helps. Understeer when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower how fast you hit the wall.
Torque how far you take the wall with you.

Post #338993 9th Jan 2018 6:24 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Billio is spot on with his advice . We used one of the ebay services a couple of months ago . We sent the fob without key ( strangely only about 8 miles away ) by recorded delivery . 4 days later it was back , new case , new buttons for the circuit board , and a new battery soldered in . It was about £35 . As it took over 8 years for the first one to fail I think the car will be recycled into bean cans before it needs anotherv Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #339003 9th Jan 2018 7:47 pm
archie98

I am getting one repaired tomorrow hopefully I have seen a advert on ebay£130 for new one its in Doncaster with free programming

Post #339004 9th Jan 2018 7:54 pm
Dippy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

If you're handy at all you can replace the battery yourself. Did mine, cost about £9 for new battery and fob case. Looks brand new now and works fine. MY11 SD4 HSE.

Post #339007 9th Jan 2018 8:29 pm
MartynB

archie98 wrote:
I am getting one repaired tomorrow hopefully I have seen a advert on ebay£130 for new one its in Doncaster with free programming

Eeeeek . You can get it rebuilt and back to you in 48 hours for £28.99. ! New case , the lot 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #339019 9th Jan 2018 10:04 pm
archie98

Fob one repaired it was a soldered connection that failed no charge he said so he will look at fob two tonight but regardless of what he does I will pay him something

Post #339167 11th Jan 2018 1:27 pm
MartynB

Brilliant ! I don’t mind fair pricing but £130 for a Key is ridiculous ! Glad you got sorted out . I must send the second key fob for rebuild , I’ll put it on the to do list . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #339175 11th Jan 2018 2:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>