Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Erratic Fuel Gauge - 57 Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
diverwally

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Not really sure on the rules for uploading the information. Certainly would be useful, hopefully somebody else can help. Glad my post has been of some use,

Post #337317 15th Dec 2017 4:23 pm
phillithom

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
TECHNICAL_BULLETIN_LTB00566v6

Below is the text of the bulletin, but it doesn't include the photos and other formatting - I'll keep trying to find a way of doing that..............
But it's readily available on a Google search, so can't be that confidential; https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=LTB00566...p;ie=UTF-8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TECHNICAL BULLETIN
LTB00566v6
04 JUL 2014
This bulletin supersedes TSB LTB00566v5/2014 dated 03 APR 2014, which should either be destroyed or clearly marked to show it is no longer valid (e.g. with a line across the page). Only refer to the electronic version of this Technical Bulletin in TOPIx.
Changes are highlighted in gray
SECTION: 310-00
Fuel Gauge Operation Not Accurate
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Freelander 2/LR2 (LF)
Model Year: 2007-2012
VIN: 7H000634-CH292666

Discovery 4 / LR4 (LA)
Model Year: 2010-2013
VIN: AA510178-DA656034

Range Rover (LM)
Model Year: 2010-2012
VIN: AA304426-CA369495

Range Rover Sport (LS)
Model Year: 2010-2013
VIN: AA212145-DA790997

MARKETS:
All
CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation:
A customer complaint of the fuel gauge not working or the gauge is not accurate.
Please advise the customer, if possible, to bring the vehicle in with the fuel tank level below 1/4 full.
This Version has been issued for a change to the Service Instruction.
Cause: Fretting corrosion across the fuel level sender harness pins inside the fuel tank. Suggested Customer Concern Code - L69.
Action: After completing primary diagnostics and where the cause is not identified, follow the Service Instruction below. Any issues found during the primary diagnostics must be carried out as a separate warranty claim.
PARTS:
CAUTION: The splices listed below are specific to this repair. Make sure that these splices are used and crimped using special tool 418-116A (YRW500010).
LR050538 Splice joint connector Quantity: 6
ESR3806 Fuel tank flange o-ring seal (Range Rover) Quantity: 2
LR000966 Fuel tank flange o-ring seal (Except Range Rover) Quantity: 1
WARRANTY:
Freelander 2 Diesel up to VIN H281016 only:
Pin Numbers Lower Resistance Value (Ohms) Upper Resistance Value (Ohms)
Check 1 1 2 46.2 1002.2
Check 2 5 6 46.2 1002.2
All models except: Freelander 2 Diesel up to VIN H281016
Pin Numbers Lower Resistance Value (Ohms) Upper Resistance Value (Ohms)
Check 1 1 2 46.2 1002.2
Check 2 1 6 46.2 1002.2
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to TOPIx to obtain the latest repair time.
NOTE: DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.
DESCRIPTION SRO TIME (HOURS) CONDITION CODE CAUSAL PART
Fuel sender harness modification - All except Freelander 2/LR2 88.25.89/35 1.5 X2 LR042971/LR042716/LR043153
Fuel sender harness modification - Freelander 2/LR2 2WD 88.25.89/35 2.1 X2 LR036125
Fuel sender harness modification - Freelander 2/LR2 3.2L Gasoline 88.25.89/35 2.6 X2 LR038723
Fuel sender harness modification - Freelander 2/LR2 All except 3.2L Gasoline and 2WD 88.25.89/35 2.4 X2 LR036125
NOTE: Normal Warranty procedures apply.
SERVICE INSTRUCTION:
CAUTION: Inspect the fuel tank flange electrical connector for damaged or backed out pins before removing the fuel tank flange. Any repair carried out to the fuel tank flange electrical connector should be carried out as a separate warranty claim.
1. Remove the fuel pump and sender unit (see TOPIx workshop manual, section 310-01).
2. Place the fuel pump and sender unit/fuel pump module on a clean work surface.
CAUTION: To reduce the chance of incorrect wiring of the harnesses, wherever possible, only repair one wire at a time.
NOTE: The number of black connectors shown in the fuel tank on a vehicle may vary from the procedure shown below. To achieve the best possible repair, replace as many of the black connectors (up to 3 in total) as possible.
NOTE: Some variation in the illustrations may occur, but the essential information is always correct.
3. CAUTION: Make sure that the splice is crimped in the correct location.
CAUTION: Make sure that the splice is crimped using special tool 418-116A.
CAUTION: Make sure that the splice with the part number listed above is used. Failure to follow these instructions may result in a poor repair.
When installing the splices, make sure that the splice is crimped in the correct location.
1. Correct location for crimping.
2. Incorrect location for crimping.
4. Identify the connector to be removed.
• Cut the wires shown as close to the connector as possible.
5. Using a suitable tool, remove 5mm of insulation from the end of the 2 wires.
6. CAUTION: After crimping the connection, perform a gentle pull test to make sure that a sufficiently strong connection has been created. If required, remove and replace the splice.
Install a splice to the ends of the wires, and crimp both ends using a special tool 418-116A.
7. Repeat steps 4 to 6 to the other wire.
• Discard the connector.
8. Using a suitable tie strap, secure the two splices together.
9. Identify the earth connector (two black wires) to be removed.
• Discard the connector.
10. NOTE: The two splices are not connected until step 14.
Install a splice to the end of each wire.
• Using a suitable tool, remove 5mm of insulation from the end of the 2 wires.
• Crimp the splices using special tool 418-116A.
11. CAUTION: Do not install the fuel tank flange at this point.
Install the fuel pump sender unit to the fuel tank (see TOPIx Workshop Manual, section 310-01).
12. CAUTION: Make sure that the correct wires are re-connected to each other.
Identify the connector to be removed.
• Carefully withdraw the connector out of the tank.
• Discard the connector.
13. CAUTION: After crimping the connection, perform a gentle pull test to make sure that a sufficiently strong connection has been created. If required, remove and replace the splice.
Install a splice to the ends of the wires, and crimp both ends using special tool 418-116A.
• Using a suitable tool, remove 5mm of insulation from the end of the wires.
• Using a suitable tie strap, secure the two splices together.
14. CAUTION: After crimping the connection, perform a gentle pull test to make sure that a sufficiently strong connection has been created. If required, remove and replace the splice.
If equipped, connect the two earth wires from the base of the fuel tank flange to the two splices installed in step 10.
• Position the fuel tank flange close to the fuel tank.
• Using a suitable tool, remove 5mm of insulation from the end of the two wires.
• Using a suitable tie strap, secure the two splices together.
15. Using a suitable tool, check the resistance values across fuel tank flange pins listed in the table above.
1. If the resistance value is between 46.2 and 1002.2 ohms, continue to step 16.
2. If the resistance value is outside this range, further investigation is required.
16. CAUTION: Make sure that a successful resistance check has been carried out before continuing to install the fuel pump sender unit.
Carry out the remaining steps of the fuel pump and sender unit/fuel pump module procedure (see TOPIx Workshop Manual, section 310-01).
17. If required, using Land Rover approved diagnostic equipment read and clear any stored DTCs.

Post #337321 15th Dec 2017 5:15 pm
phillithom

TECHNICAL_BULLETIN_LTB00566v6

Right - saved it as images, all posted below, so should be legible with photos and everything.
Hope it's helpful.

Post #337323 15th Dec 2017 6:02 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Just like to add a small comment here. The dealers crimp the offending wires together, best option is to solder them and seal with good quality shrink tube to stop contamination. Very Happy Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #337373 16th Dec 2017 2:14 pm
NAZCA SAND 67

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Nazca Sand

Thanks to all who have gone before and posted up the apparent fix to this issue which I'm hoping I will get the right result from when I tackle my sick Freelander 2 shortly.
Was facing a huge bill from dealers but I'm going to do this myself once I can locate all my old tools that have laid idle these last few years.
Two questions!
Is there a second access port on the other side of the tank from which you remove the second sender unit?
In order to replace all connectors (I will be soldering mine), do you have to remove both senders?
I will be printing off the LR topic bulletin that is freely available now via Google, only pain I have is I filled the tank up in the hope it would spring the fuel gauge back to life! A lot of bleeding via the fuel filter will now be needed.
Will update after the operation.

Post #338673 5th Jan 2018 4:25 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Not done this job myself, although mine was repaired under extended warranty. As far as I know, there is only one access in to the tank, so the job is a PITA, even after you have removed the tank!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #338676 5th Jan 2018 7:04 am
phillithom

Well, we've just got ours back from the main dealer who did the work entirely at Land Rover's expense - it took a bit of arguing, but once we got the right people involved there was no argument............

Post #338693 5th Jan 2018 11:33 am
NAZCA SAND 67

My Freelander is 10 years old being a 2007, so warranty long gone! But they did admit they carry out the rewiring without dropping the tank! From within the access hole? Has anyone attempted that I wonder??

Post #338699 5th Jan 2018 12:59 pm
phillithom

Ours is an '11 and over 90,000 mls and there was a hint that the mileage could be an issue.
BUT - your vehicle also has to be within the VIN number range for the Technical Bulletin to apply, so you need to check that too.
It is not a warranty issue because it is a Technical Bulletin - we still have some warranty left, but it wasn't needed.
The Bulletin is clear.
It is; TECHNICAL BULLETIN LTB00566v6 04 JUL 2014
This is the VIN range; Model Year: 2007-2012 VIN: 7H000634-CH292666
And this is the instruction; CONDITION SUMMARY: Situation:
A customer complaint of the fuel gauge not working or the gauge is not accurate.
Please advise the customer, if possible, to bring the vehicle in with the fuel tank level below 1/4 full.
Cause: Fretting corrosion across the fuel level sender harness pins inside the fuel tank. Suggested Customer Concern Code - L69.
Action: After completing primary diagnostics and where the cause is not identified, follow the Service Instruction below. Any issues found during the primary diagnostics must be carried out as a separate warranty claim.

So there's no argument or ambivalence - just the rider regarding diagnostics.........

Post #338706 5th Jan 2018 2:23 pm
NAZCA SAND 67

My VIN falls within that range, dealer wants €350 to splice a few wires together!
I'm ordering the o ring and will do this myself. Just wondered is anyone who did a diy job managed it without dropping the tank? If sender units are removed through the access panel in the floor pan?
All info above shows folks dropping the tank in order to repair but my dealer admitted they do it without dropping the tank?

Post #338810 7th Jan 2018 5:02 am
NAZCA SAND 67

phillithom wrote:
Ours is an '11 and over 90,000 mls and there was a hint that the mileage could be an issue.
BUT - your vehicle also has to be within the VIN number range for the Technical Bulletin to apply, so you need to check that too.
It is not a warranty issue because it is a Technical Bulletin - we still have some warranty left, but it wasn't needed.
The Bulletin is clear.
It is; TECHNICAL BULLETIN LTB00566v6 04 JUL 2014
This is the VIN range; Model Year: 2007-2012 VIN: 7H000634-CH292666
And this is the instruction; CONDITION SUMMARY: Situation:

So there's no argument or ambivalence - just the rider regarding diagnostics.........

So are you saying they have to do this as a free recall? My dealer wants to charge me??

Post #338828 7th Jan 2018 4:36 pm
phillithom

Hi
I don't think it's the same as a recall because it doesn't affect every vehicle.
It seems to only apply if a problem flags up with the fuel gauge as we had - it still read half full when it was empty.

Post #338840 7th Jan 2018 7:18 pm
NAZCA SAND 67

Ok so had a buddy with a lift carry out the repair and so far the fault remains!
He thinks it’s something else despite all the evidence and I think he missed a connector as he didn’t remove all the internals from the tank!
BTW the wires are stainless steel and you won’t solder them to easy!

He cut out the only connector he could see but lest all the internals within the Tank.

Post #343953 4th Mar 2018 4:00 am
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

NAZCA SAND 67 wrote:
My Freelander is 10 years old being a 2007, so warranty long gone! But they did admit they carry out the rewiring without dropping the tank! From within the access hole? Has anyone attempted that I wonder??

You can't do it with the tank in place. Its not possible to remove the sender locking ring in situ. Remove the the inspection under the back seat and you will see why. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #344036 4th Mar 2018 7:50 pm
NAZCA SAND 67

Yes I know the tank has to be dropped now. However I’d like to chat with someone who actually has carried out the repair themselves. When looking into the neck of the tank only one black connector is visible, and my mechanic removed this and crimped the wires as per landrover guidelines. But he failed to remove the internal pump and sender units from the tank and it is my belief there is another connector he hasn’t seen and replaced, hence the issue is still there.
And to clarify, those wires are stainless steel so crimping is a must.

Post #344061 5th Mar 2018 3:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>