Home > General > Tyre Replacement - A shocking Story
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PA51 ELY

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Stornoway Grey
Tyre Replacement - A shocking Story

A story of a Tyre fitters...

Some of you will be aware I recently fitted a lovely set of 19inch Chrome Alloys to my beast.

Sadly after only 3000miles my rear offside tyre met a prickly end:

I took my beloved wheel to a National Chain of Tyre fitters who had to order a new tyre. Luckily I have 5 x Alloys so my spare was swopped for the damaged tyre.

I left my wheel in their capable hands and was told it would arrive the next day. 4 days later I collected the wheel and parted with £200 for the new tyre. (i should have smelt a rat at this stage)

When I picked up the wheel I noticed something strange with the outer rim of the alloy. When I questioned the "operative" i was told it was the stuff the use to put the tyre on and it would wash off. It did'nt so a week later went back a asked another "operative" to look at it. He said nothing they use could cause the discolouration and it must be a fault with the wheel. I was not happy with this so went away and wrote to the chairman of the tyre fitters.

Picture of the "discouration shown below. Not come out well but if you look at the outer edge of the alloy from the valve through to the 10 o'clock position, you will see it is a different colour!!!!

To cut what is a long story short the Regional Manager of the tyre fitters visited me and agreed the wheel had been damaged and is putting it right. He has been excellent and a credit to his company, however it turns out the local operative damaged my wheel during fitting, tried to cover it up by spraying it, the wrong colour! and lied to me twice about it !!! and then charged me £200!!! This is a discrace. Mistakes happen but come on, lets not tell a load of porkies to the customer and hope he will not notice his Shadown Chrome alloy is now part silver! Big Cry

Moral of the story is, don'nt run over a 3 inch bolt, and when you do dont let your wheels out of your sight!

Sorry this is so long, but thought I should share with you all. Will name a shame the Tyre chain once I have resolved Cool

Post #33058 15th Dec 2008 8:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

Shocked

A friend had similar with such a tire chain, scratched the polished alloy, and tried to cover it up with the wax/lube they put on to help fit the tire. Rolling Eyes

My mate having OCD, wouldn't drive with the the amount they had left, so he got out his small cleaning kit, and wiped it off, exposing the scratch

They watched him whilst he was doing it, made a few "you can do mine next ...." comments and ran a mile when he went back in to speak the manager. The manager had to speak to the lad to get his side, The lad who had done it was in the toilet for 30 mins Confused , my mate wouldn't leave until he came out to explain why he had hidden the damage, which he tried get away with it.

manager paid for new alloy, as no refurb places would touch it as it would not be 100% Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #33059 15th Dec 2008 9:16 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Can I have my nail back please? , I dropped it on a recent trip to Devon Whistle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #33073 15th Dec 2008 11:23 pm
PA51 ELY

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
Can I have my nail back please? , I dropped it on a recent trip to Devon Whistle

No problem CG, I'll have to wait for 24hrs for it to be surgically removed from the "operatives" bottom who trashed my wheel and then i'll post it back to you. Sorry i missed you when you came to Devon, I'll aim better next time! Thumbs Up

Post #33080 16th Dec 2008 8:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

This is absolutely disgusting, when its all sorted please name and shame so we can avoid 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #33082 16th Dec 2008 11:11 am
stangs

Quote:
A friend had similar with such a tire chain, scratched the polished alloy, and tried to cover it up with the wax/lube they put on to help fit the tire.

That's exactly what happened to me at Kwik Fit. Only I didn't notice it until I got home, and so didn't have a leg to stand on. My 17" Mini Cooper S front wheel alloys on both sides were marked where the Censored idiot had used some kind of tool and covered up with the white lubricant.

I've learnt to carefully inspect the alloys after a tire change.

Quote:
This is absolutely disgusting, when its all sorted please name and shame so we can avoid.

Bet it was Kwik Fit. Thumbs Up

Post #33096 16th Dec 2008 12:41 pm
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had to have a tyre replaced earlier this year after a puncture on the motorway. Luckily i was close to a landrover dealer and went there. Agreed that tyre was not repairable and they said they would fit a now tyre. This seemed to take forever but was finally ready after an hour. When i checked the job afterwards i discovered that they had fitted a brand new wheel and tyre. I never questioned this but assumed they must have damaged my wheel and had to replace it. I was only charged for a new tyre.

Moral of the story is that at least if it a dealer that damages it they should have a replacement ready to hand.

Post #33309 18th Dec 2008 8:36 pm
j77

Scotland 

Kwik fit are a shower of robbing, cheating, lying B Censored ds. Had to get four 17'' continental tyres for my discovery 3, The whole job done for £780 '' you can't get it cheaper'' the guy said. Garage just along the road done the job for £540, fitting, balance, disposal the lot, and that was without them being told kwick fits price.

Post #33515 22nd Dec 2008 9:45 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Got scammed! by quick fit many years ago and have never been back. Very Happy Very Happy

Post #33532 23rd Dec 2008 11:53 am
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

j77 wrote:
Kwik fit are a shower of robbing, cheating, lying B Censored ds. Had to get four 17'' continental tyres for my discovery 3, The whole job done for £780 '' you can't get it cheaper'' the guy said. Garage just along the road done the job for £540, fitting, balance, disposal the lot, and that was without them being told kwick fits price.

You can't get cheaper than a qwickfit fitter............if you're a fleet getting a massive discount. In order for their discount prices to look so good, their retail prices have to be a bit silly. I was quoted £90ea for pirellis (x4) on a car a few years ago. Went down the road and paid £50.
That said, their prices seem a little more sensible these days. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #33704 29th Dec 2008 3:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1