« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Argh...... windscreen cleaning problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Argh...... windscreen cleaning problem

I bought a spray on glass cleaner, saw that it had a 'rain-x' additive in it and thought that would be fine.

However I forgot that I've previously had a problem with rain-x on windscreens. In the past I've found that rain-x is fine for all glass except the windscreen; must have had a senior moment and forgotten about the previous problems.

Last night set about cleaning the windscreen and within minutes was regretting it (it was poring with rain and I went for a drive!). Sure the water beads very nicely on rain-x but the wipers really don't like it. Screeching and juddering like there's no tomorrow, as soon as I saw what was happening I remembered back to previous experience with rain-x, argh .. but by then too late!! Big Cry

So straight of to halfrauds to find some glass cleaner (without any additives), found one that claimed it would remove glass treatments and spent the next 15 minutes furiously cleaning the windscreen. The cleaner worked, not 100%, but has definitely reduced the screeching and juddering considerably. Just have to be patient and wait for the remainder of the rain-x to wear off, what a pain ....

The first cleaner (with the rain-x) has done a great job on the side and rear windows, it is a very effective cleaner and the other windows really benefit from the rain-x causing rain to bead and clear very well just by movement of the car through the air. But in my expereince rain-x and windscreens don't go together !!!

Anyone else had this problem? Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #33429 21st Dec 2008 5:25 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I've always used Autoglym glass cleaner, never had any problems with that.

Are your wiper blades ok Question sounds like they may need replacing Question . You could always use a soft cloth soaked with vinegar and give the blades a wipe, that should clean them up ok. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #33430 21st Dec 2008 5:50 pm
elevatordude70

Used Rain-X on my last car and was happy till the wipers starting screeching a month later. Never could "repair" the damage I believe it does to the top layer of glass. Wipers screeched till the day I sold it Censored . Just put a set of Valeos on my D3 to replace the noisy LR ones. Silence in the rain is golden Thumbs Up

Post #33434 21st Dec 2008 6:06 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I used Rain-X on an old car, and resorted to using my wipers as little as possible, as it stopped them working, but the rain did bead up, and run off the windscreen at speed. Would never buy it again either.

Rich

Post #33435 21st Dec 2008 6:11 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I used rain-x on my car after reading advice on here Evil or Very Mad they screached for a long time but the affect has now worn off, no damage done Thumbs Up It seems rain-x is not compatible with the modern aero type wiper blades as its fine with the older style ones At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #33436 21st Dec 2008 6:11 pm
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

On my previous car, I "greased" a Nano product on/into the windshield. OK, rain drops disappeared from the glass, but the wipers protested. Some months later the motor burned.
(Nano Products was popular here a few years ago).
Freel2 have Nano Product on the body (it`s OK) but not on the windscreen (or the side and rear windows). LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #33447 21st Dec 2008 8:43 pm
tonyjones1968

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black

I still use Rainx on my bike helmet visor!! stops fogging inside and beads water away on the outside,since motorcycling in this country is normaly wet!!!!!!
Just replaced my windscreen wipers with O.E £21.00 ,as old ones were leaving a black rubber mark in the end of their sweep!!!!

Tony Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Rolling with laughter

Post #33448 21st Dec 2008 9:12 pm
PA51 ELY

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Stornoway Grey

I use A-Glaze glass treatment. Same range as the paint protection system I had on the car when I bought it. The Glass treatment is great, even on windscreen. No shudder or squeeeeeeling. Available from web site. Not seen it in the shops. They use it on aircraft aswell. Makes them go quicker!! Not sure how it affects wipers at 35,000 feet and at 600mph?

Can also use it in the shower to keep the glass clear so you can see the mrs through the glass.......... on second thoughts, Whistle anyone got any rainx I can have !!! Rolling with laughter

Post #33461 22nd Dec 2008 8:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

you could try using washing up liquid to remove the coating off the screen or a detailing clay

I used Autoglym fast glass for every day cleaning

I used a Meguiers Clay bar and auto glym glass polish when it gets a clean and polish and wax Cool Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #33464 22nd Dec 2008 10:55 am
Oceanic

Australia 

I don't understand you guys... I have used rain-x for 15yrs and NEVER had a problem with it (apart from on one car out of 12!). It has worked perfectly on all my FL1s, BMWs, and other brands with no judder or screeching at all.

Strange... Confused ______________________________

own: '06 BMW 130i Msport (manual)
owned: '04 FL Td4 3dr
owned: '02 FL V6 3dr
owned: '98 FL Xedi

The road less travelled you will find me on.

Post #33522 23rd Dec 2008 12:53 am
avtur

Must be something to do with our rain in the UK Laughing

I can assure that the difference it made to my windscreen/wipers was appalling. Before cleaning, wipers smooth and quiet, after treatment juddering and screeching like there's no tomorrow ... strange Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #33523 23rd Dec 2008 2:48 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have had the same result on a old car by using Rain-x

Good if your traveling on the motorway at speed, as the water beads and runs off, not so good in sitting traffic using the wipers Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #33526 23rd Dec 2008 10:45 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Don't know why you bother.
As long as you keep your wipers and screen fairly clean they will clear the screen fine. That is after all the job they are intended to do Rolling Eyes

Post #33527 23rd Dec 2008 10:56 am
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Used Rain X when my FL2 was new and would never use it again, it was the worst thing I have ever done to my car! It took multiple applications of glass polish to remove it. Very Happy Very Happy

Post #33531 23rd Dec 2008 11:52 am
avtur

snappa wrote:
Don't know why you bother.
As long as you keep your wipers and screen fairly clean they will clear the screen fine. That is after all the job they are intended to do Rolling Eyes

Neither do I Shocked

I didn't set out to buy rain-x on this ocassion, I was in Costco and they had a pack which contained glass cleaner in a spray and wipes to deal with internal misting. I bought the pack for the anti misting wipes (which were for Mrs Avtur's car which has a major problem with misting up and freezing on the inside of the screen) so there's me trying to earn some brownie points buying for her car and its my car that suffers. Big Cry

The spray on glass cleaner is very good but it contains rain-x , so the appliacation of rain-x was byproduct of cleaning my windscreen. Problem was really caused by a senior moment on my behalf forgetting previous experience with rain-x.

Interesting to see that I'm not the only one who has had unwanted and unexpected results from rain-x. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #33543 23rd Dec 2008 2:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1