Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Air bags - can they be removed ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Air bags - can they be removed ?

Obviously they can but................
I'm planning my next project as my Lightweight is nearing completion.
I anticipate this next project to take at least 18 months to complete but want to to be informed as much as possible before hand, to avoid any hiccups along the way.
My plan is to use a cheap non sunroof model (probably a commercial or S model would be better) to create a Freelander 2 like no other.
It will ideally have a full interior roll cage and be a 2 seater. I plan to uprate the suspension and fit under body protection.

Removing the air bags is a necessity to be able to fit an interior roll cage. This includes the A and B pillar air bags. The front driver and passenger bags will be left in place, although they'll largely be redundant due to the fitting of racing harnesses. Heated bucket seats will also be fitted.

Will removing the air bags and ultimately the seatbelt pre-tentioners cause a major headache with the ECU, or can that be re-programmed ?

Those on this forum who know me will know that I like to modify my Land Rovers ( with exception of my Military Landies ) . I've rollcaged all of my Freelander 1's, before the Freelander Challenge existed I hasten to add and it also now seems that heavily modified Freelander 1 is something that has really taken off recently judging by the ones I saw at the Kelmarsh Land Rover Show earlier this year.
Plus my new job gives me more time off and I also wish to do a little more off roading than I have of late. I wish to create another vehicle that I can have fun in, but this time with the best of both worlds - rugged, but with a little bit of refinement.
I can't afford a Bowler EXR-S , but can afford to come up with my own ideas using a Freelander 2 as a base vehicle. I also have a few contacts in the Land Rover motorsport world.
Plus , although Freelander 2 is eligible to compete in the Freelander Challenge, nobody has entered one yet. Another reason to build one.

Click image to enlarge

Post #333208 14th Oct 2017 2:44 am
alex_pescaru

If you are talking about removing the airbags temporary while you're tuning the car and then put them back, there is no problem. If you will start the car without the airbags, the ECU will see the airbags are missing and will turn on the airbag light. As soon as they will be back in place the ECU will see them and turn off the airbag light.

If you plan to remove them for good, leave the ECU alone and use instead of airbags and seat belt tensioners some low resistance resistors. The ECU will think that the airbags are in place and will be OK.
But...
At the first shock into to body, and I believe that will be plenty considering the final car purpose - offroading isnt' it, the airbag ECU will trigger the "airbags" and will remain in the state of "crash event occurred" and will turn on the airbag light, without the possibility of turning it off, even if you put new resistors there. You must perform then a diagnostic procedure of erasing the crash data.

Post #333210 14th Oct 2017 7:39 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

airbags missing is also an MOT failure
ok if just off road Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #333218 14th Oct 2017 12:52 pm
Largered

Hi, this is some food for thought ......

Custom front winch bumper.

If I remember correctly, he fitted a lift kit also. ??

Post #333222 14th Oct 2017 2:07 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Thanks for the replies.
Alex - Yes, the resistor trick was something I was going to look at after finding this https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-Rover-AIRBA...666657870. ISTR this being done on my silver car.
However, the Bowler EXR-S has a drivers air bag and that's built to off road at high speeds. My blue V6 had both passenger and driver airbags in place and I never had them go off while off roading. Even with a few heavy landings while being airborne over some jumps.

Oldgeezer - It would need to have an SVA. Shouldn't be a problem as the roll cage , seats and harnesses are safety equipment designed to withstand high speed crashes and roll overs.

Largered. Yes, ISTR conversing with that guy a year or so ago but lost touch. I was very impressed with how he had done that winch bumper - it flows well and looks like it belongs there , like OE - unlike some I've seen on Disco's and Rangies. There's a guy in the Freelander club (think it's internet based ) who bought up all my old F1 stuff, snorkel moulds etc, who manufactures lift kits. He told me that there is a kit available for the Evoque and reckons it should fit the F2 no problem. He also said if he had a F2 for a few weeks, he could manufacture his own kit for it. Maybe worth lending him the F2 when I eventually get one.

I'd love to use my i6, but due to the sun roof etc, I think it would be a none starter. Better off sticking to a none sunroof model methinks. Shame, an I6 would be cool.

Post #333229 14th Oct 2017 3:41 pm
j00ppis

Finland 
Repairing crashed

What do you guys think of repairing freelander which is only Minor damage on front? Air bags Have blown out on steering wheel, and knee Area and passanger front Area

Do i need new ecu and sensors allso For all bags

Looks good condition, needs new bumber and lights.

Or should i buy this For spare parts

Link to damages onedrive.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApbJGtA2Z3UBpD1oDD10oItMSHuc

Post #429207 25th Jan 2023 3:35 am
Gissit

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

You'll just need to replace air bags and send the SRS ecu off to get it reset.

Post #429489 30th Jan 2023 8:21 pm
Gissit

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

You'll also need to check the seatbelt pre tensioners. If you have diagnostic tool it is simpler

Post #429490 30th Jan 2023 8:22 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

Do i need land rover special diagnostic tool to check pre tensioners or is possible whit such as ( icarsoft )?

you mentioned that only new airbags and get the SRS ecu to reset, so there is no need to change
any sensors which gives the command to blow airbags?

wondering also what to do whit passenger dash side, is there some instructions to dismantle airbags?

Post #431919 21st Apr 2023 5:20 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

If the airbags have been deployed, then generally the vehicle is scrap.
There so much to replace once they've been triggered, that the labour charge of the repair will normally exceed the value of the vehicle. In the UK, its very difficult to put a vehicle back on the road, if the airbags have been deployed, so generally they aren't repaired. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #431927 21st Apr 2023 6:50 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

FWIW I had a low speed front/rear prang in my BMW in 2011 - air bags deployed - total repair cost was £22K (in 2011).
The airbags/and seat belt tensioners did almost as much financial damage to the interior as the crash did to the bumpers/lights/bonnet.

I expected the insurer to right it off but they didnt.

Jules

Post #431929 21st Apr 2023 7:13 am
Badger51

Australia 

j00ppis wrote:
Do i need land rover special diagnostic tool to check pre tensioners or is possible whit such as ( icarsoft )?

you mentioned that only new airbags and get the SRS ecu to reset, so there is no need to change
any sensors which gives the command to blow airbags?

wondering also what to do whit passenger dash side, is there some instructions to dismantle airbags?

Not having any knowledge of the legal requirements for this in Finland, but as far as the dash goes, it will mean replacing the whole dash. You just need to find one that hasn’t had the airbag deployed! Replacing airbags in themselves is not really a big deal. You do however have to remember you are dealing with pyrotechnics, and need to treat them with respect, or risk personal injury. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #431930 21st Apr 2023 7:58 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
You do however have to remember you are dealing with pyrotechnics, and need to treat them with respect, or risk personal injury.

Because when they go off beside you when you're working in close proximity they tend to scare the 🤬 out of you! 💥😯 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #431939 21st Apr 2023 3:05 pm
elvisman

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

I have changed the dash and airbags on my Freelander 2.
Changing the airbags is no different from replacing any other part on the vehicle, apart from careful handling and making sure all power is disconnected whilst they are being worked on.
A problem you have with the Freelander is the VIN number is on the dash and is made of a non tamper type of tape, and is unusable on the new dash. There are companies on the internet that will make a replacement for you. Mine cost about £18 and is identical to the original.
Changing the dash is not that hard, i would recommend getting a new dash first so you see where all the fixing holes are, biggest problem is remembering where/how the cables are routed. All the plugs are colour coded and shaped to fit so you cant plug the wrong wires into the wrong component.
The airbag module needs to be reset by one of the many companies online.

Post #431947 21st Apr 2023 8:13 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

I have Been working now whit freelander.
Installed radiator + AC condenser. Had problems to Crank showed many dtc to bcm and all over place, then i got idea to Look ground cable and that was Loose. Then i finaly got it to Crank. Took 10min to finaly got it Running. fluid stayed on system and im Happy.

Allready got 2 Airbags, steering wheel and passanger.
Looking For knee bag, thats only missing. Just wondering do they all fit? Looking from ovoko website they are cheap, they are selling one 2010my airbag on Finland but very expensive Price.

My project car is 2010, and other which is daily using is 2008

Now soon ordering dashboard, found 2010 Model Dash which code is LR008565, how i can verify if this Match to my car: vin SALFA2BB6AH203407?

I had to heat and bend radiator supports before i got them installed. Using My other freelander as help to Repair her bigbrother Very Happy.

Should i Make new topic For this project, whit pictures

Post #434829 10th Aug 2023 7:15 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1