« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Land Rover in talks with UK government
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Land Rover in talks with UK government

Looks like interesting times ahead for the brand with Tata talking to UK plc about govenrment support. I know this is not new news, but now that Mandelson has already spoken to Tata & LR it must be getting more serious. Going by the news reports I'm sure the fact that 15k jobs are involved will be an incentive for UK plc to offer some support.

Only worry is, given that LR's aren't exactly the most environmentally friend cars, then how long before the greenies object to the government supporting the brand? Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #33251 18th Dec 2008 10:25 am
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Tata ta ta

Tata will blackmail the government by threatening to close halewood now, and not in a couple of years when they are probably planning to move production abroad. Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #33255 18th Dec 2008 11:09 am
Natwest

United Kingdom 

The JLR talks with UK government have been as part of an industry (SMMT) wide group - not issues specifically related JLR. UK press looking for a story and getting it wrong - again!

Can't see why UK government support is an issue for some, as other countries (Sweden, Germany) are willing to support foreign owned car manufacturers (SAAB, Volvo, Opel).

Post #33274 18th Dec 2008 1:17 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Land Rover in talks with UK government

avtur wrote:

Only worry is, given that LR's aren't exactly the most environmentally friend cars, then how long before the greenies object to the government supporting the brand?

Well it didn't take long, Vine on radio2 has just had guest speaker saying don't save LRJ, use the money to insulate homes and build windfarms ...

another speaker made the point that this isn't just a JLR issue, but a UK imotor industry issue ... Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #33284 18th Dec 2008 2:27 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Re: Land Rover in talks with UK government

avtur wrote:
avtur wrote:

Only worry is, given that LR's aren't exactly the most environmentally friend cars, then how long before the greenies object to the government supporting the brand?

Well it didn't take long, Vine on radio2 has just had guest speaker saying don't save LRJ, use the money to insulate homes and build windfarms ...

another speaker made the point that this isn't just a JLR issue, but a UK imotor industry issue ...

Yes, that will save 15,000 jobs and provide much needed export revenue wen things eventually turn round.

It must be proven by now that wearing hemp and eating lentils renders you an idiot. There will always be greenies. Good name for them, given that their real motivation is simple jelousy (not something they'll even admit to themselves mind). I had a greenie boss once. Didn't approve of my Ford Granada and couldn't understand why I didn't take the bus. Ignoring this, I managed to point out to him (eventually) that he could afford a house that didn't have bars on the windows and he subsequently moved to a nicer area. 3 months later he was buzzing around in a brand new MG. He was anti car right up to the time he realised he could afford one Whistle
I'd say, cancel this insane VAT reduction and spend the money propping up what little manufacturing industry we have left. LRJ was profitable before the crash and with the state of the £, may well become even more so in the future. We should insist on an equity stake though, enough to block any moves to manufacture elsewhere. After all, isn't that what Germany has done? 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #33306 18th Dec 2008 5:34 pm
stangs

The VAT reduction is a complete waste of money. The money should have been used to allow small businesses remain liquid.

Environmentalists are annoyed because they are now irrelevant. Ironically, the rabid green types who have dominated the media in the last few years are sporting an attitude that is a luxury - a bit like the RRS and 4x4s that they generally hate! Rolling with laughter

At the end of the day, when you are struggling to make ends meet, you don't give a flying feck about emissions or silly notions about CO2. You act like India or China and concentrate on creating wealth. The rabid greens would prefer us to be living in villages as peasants dying from cholera and TB - but at least we'd be in touch with mother nature, eh? Thumbs Up

Hopefully LR and Jaguar will be given the support they need. Manufacturing needs them - the call centre economy will be proven to be worthless.

Post #33318 19th Dec 2008 10:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1