« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > frozen windscreen wipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
vermox

Sweden 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
frozen windscreen wipers

Parked the car the other night with the wipers in "auto sensing" mode. Next morning we had a couple of deg below freezing. Started the car to heat up front and rear screen and had completely forgotten wipers were in auto mode. Wipers tries to do their job immidiately but are frozen to screen, after a fraction of a second they break free, the left one before the right hand one meaning their out of sync and moves attached to each other over screen! Shocked One cycle was completed before I turned them off! I by then thought something expensive was broken...it wasn't! Applied some force to the one out of position and forced it into position about 10 cm, turned on the wipers and they worked perfectly (to my great surprise and pleasure). They've now been working fine since and are in everyday use for a month now....
However this wouldn't work according to my limited experience to wiper linkage - anyone out there with an explanation?

Post #32486 3rd Dec 2008 8:42 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Seems like the blade/ arm only moved on its spindle which you managed to force back into position, surprised the fuse did not go pop.
Yet another good reason to delete all this superfluous auto nonsense to me. still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #32490 3rd Dec 2008 9:25 pm
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

upnaway wrote:

good reason to delete all this superfluous auto nonsense

Yes and it is a good idea to have a newspaper between the wipers and the screen, so it will not freeze to the glass. LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #32495 3rd Dec 2008 10:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I hate the auto wipe on the frozen screen, it just wears the rubber away so you end up with a streaking screen

What i find annoying is the wiper blades themselves get frozen in one position and don't clear the screen of water Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #32497 3rd Dec 2008 11:06 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

If the wipers get frozen to the screen it will damage the wiper blade edge and you will always get streaking afterwards. As Bjartin mentions putting some newspaper under the wipers helps but can end up as messy pulp on the screen.
The normal thing here in Norway is to bend the wipers outwards away from the windscreen every time the car is parked in freezing conditions. Saves a lot of streaky windscreens and expensive replacements Thumbs Up . 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #32508 4th Dec 2008 8:17 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Yeah do that here and some passing ned might be inclined to continue the bend with his little hands Evil or Very Mad

Post #32516 4th Dec 2008 10:29 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

in chamonix last january, there was loads of snow, all the locals, and people in the know lifted there wipers up

Those who didn't had 10in of snow bearing down on their rear wipes, well..... until it gave way Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #32517 4th Dec 2008 10:59 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

We used to be able to buy a small plastic device which clipped onto the wiper arm, and that had a little hinged arm that you pulled open towards the windscreen and thus creating a distance between it and the rubber of the blades.
Worked a treat in winter and was easily removed when you didn’t need it later but didn’t seem to catch on much hear because of the other habit of swinging the arms out in freezing weather. Haven’t seem em around for a while now but maybe Halfrauds might be interested in getting some in for the UK 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #32521 4th Dec 2008 11:31 am
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Auto setting IMO should be the final switch position as are the lights not the 1st, would help this problem because its dead easy to forget wipers are on, only to be reminded in the morning by screeching rubber. still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #32645 6th Dec 2008 8:35 pm
GrinningLander

England 

Mr Mercedes A class has autosensing wipers. They used to drive me nuts because the autosensing does not work unless I re set them by turning the sensitivity switch again. I have never bothered to go back to the dealer and moan about this... but now I can see the advantage and perhaps it isn't a fault !

Are we sure that Freel2 autosensing actually works without turning the sensitivity knob to re set it ?
Mr. Green

Post #32647 6th Dec 2008 9:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1