« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Starting Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mudslider

United Kingdom 
Starting Problems

Apologies if this has been covered previously but if anyone is experiencing intermittent starting problems, it might be a simple and cheap fix. If you are hearing a starter solenoid click but the engine doesn't turn over, it might be worth trying the following starter solenoid repair kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291586526458?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

or

http://www.repairkitsuk.com/

I was convinced my issue was software related as a battery terminal hard reset (touching the terminals together - away from the battery) seemed to fix it - must have been a coincidence. I had also read about instruments clusters needing to be replaced, steering lock issues, starter switch issues etc etc. It turned out that the starter solenoid copper contacts inside the starter motor/solenoid assembly are different sizes (surface areas) and after 5 years of solenoid plunger impacts, one wears down thinner than the other, making the contact washer tilt, giving you a poor connection or no connection on start. The above kit, plus the aid of a Haynes Manual sorted my 2010 Freelander 2 (2.2 TD4) in a couple of hours. If you are at your wits end, it might be worth a try. Mine used to be fine for 2 or 3 months, then total frustration and no faith in it starting again. Now on the button every time.

Post #302953 18th Jul 2016 10:12 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Does your car have stop/start? A LR Assist guy told me that he had seen quite a few starter problems with early FL2s that used stop/start and not just on LandRovers. On some cars the ring gear had worn badly especially if the car spent a lot of time in traffic. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #302965 19th Jul 2016 9:43 am
Mudslider

United Kingdom 

Hi, no it doesn't have stop/start but maybe the previous owner made lots of short journeys? The car was only on about 45k miles when it started happening (assuming the mileage was/is valid). The above fix only cost about £13 and everything is now perfect - which clearly made me very happy, in light of some of the (expensive) horror stories in other threads on this forum. The flywheel ring-gear was next on my list to investigate - I was beginning to think the starter was jamming following loss of a tooth on the ring-gear but fortunately it was fine. I just wanted to share this to prevent anyone else having to go through the same frustration and continued fear of getting stuck/breaking down miles from home. Such a simple component (design flaw) failure. Land Rover must be aware but all the dealers wanted to do was put it on an expensive electronic diagnostic test schedule for a few days to see if they could get the problem to recur, as everyone (including me) thought the problem was software related. Sometimes it started fine, then nothing (although all the dashboard lights and tests initiated normally). The battery reset technique mentioned above seemed to work sometimes (obviously coincidence), or sometimes just after fast-pressing the start button on-off about 40 times then all would be fine again. Every 3 months or so I found myself stuck in the carpark at work with the bonnet up, tearing my hair out! Anyway, enough bla from me, thanks for your reply.

Post #303012 20th Jul 2016 7:55 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Shame the stop start is not on separate fuse as I try to remember to switch it off every journey as all that extra load must be Censored up the ring gear etc. Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #303016 20th Jul 2016 9:05 am
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

This was the problem that I had on my old 57 plate. Had to tap the starter motor sometimes to get it to work. A £20 service kit ie; solenoid kit sorted it. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #303023 20th Jul 2016 9:42 am
Flux

United Kingdom 

Many thanks for this link, I had exactly the same starting issues and had feared the worst until I read this post and thought I've nothing to lose spending £13 on this kit.
After stripping down the starter solenoid I could see one of the copper contacts almost worn to nothing as you described so had the confidence this repair would work.
Been fine starting for over 2 months now so all in all quite relieved!!

Post #318335 26th Feb 2017 9:43 pm
Mudslider

United Kingdom 

Glad it worked Smile

Post #324132 28th May 2017 11:15 am
sunshineviking

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver
Re: Starting Problems

Mudslider wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291586526458?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

or

http://www.repairkitsuk.com/

With the help of a friend, I just performed the kit fix for the Solenoid on my 2009 2.2Td4 starter motor. A couple of useful things to bear in mind. despite evidence on the net to suggest the starter is held on by just two bolts, there are in fact 3 all to the right of the starter, above the gearbox. Once these are off, disconnect the battery, and then the connectors, being careful to retain all the nuts and washers. the repair kit instructions are pretty clear and it's a simple job to replace the contacts. Car now starts fine, but is a little sluggish sounding. I may consider the extra earth Mod as detailed elsewhere on this forum. Hope that helps - The 3 bolt thing delayed us about an hour - we had to remove the sump guard to see where it was! Laughing 2009 Freelander 2 TD4SE Auto Silver
2003 Freelander 2.5 V6 ES- Auto Silver - gone
1998 Freelander 1.8 Man Red - gone

Post #326444 2nd Jul 2017 11:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1