« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > I6 Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mrtafft

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
I6 Help

So my coolant was pressurised and contaminated with oil. As soon as we discovered we turned off. I though it might be the head gasket. However, when it went to a trusted garage, They found the oil cooler had ruptured and this was how oil had mixed with the coolant. As you can imagine this was quite a mess and difficult to clean out. But this was completed and car put back together and ran sweetly. After a 10 mile test drive the cool and had again pressurised. A sniffer has been used on the coolant and no exhaust gasses were detected. Car pulls like a train and the temperature is normal.

Any ideas as to what is wrong? It has been noted that after the test drive one of the coolant hoses was leaking, so this in theory could be drawing in air and this pressurising the coolant. I have spent over £1000 so far and need help to find out what to check next.

Post #322918 4th May 2017 4:50 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Sounds like an air lock . Was the coolant system fully bled, or just refilled? Had this happen on my F1 V6 and once the system was bled fully making sure there were no air locks, all was fine .

Post #322942 4th May 2017 9:31 pm
Mrtafft

Thank for the reply

The garage assures me that the system was fully bled, but they are thinking Head gasket. However the engine still pulls like a train and they used a sniffer and detected no exhaust gasses in the coolant. Like I said the garage stated it pulls like a train so I don't think it's a head gasket

Post #322945 4th May 2017 9:56 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Mine was bled a couple of times before it stopped pressurising. The old V6 was a real pig to bleed right. Touch wood, I won't need to do it to my I6.

Post #322947 4th May 2017 10:11 pm
Trav

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Manual Rimini Red

I would try bleed it again for starters as its not going to cost you money.

What do you mean by pressurised? Steam coming out the cap?

If so is the coolant circulating? IE water pump and thermostat in good working order?
Does the fan kick in?
Is the cap pressure relief valve opening prematurely?

I certainly wouldn't just dive into a head gasket. I once was working on my mums bmw mini, after a garage saying the head gasket was gone. After looking at it for a short amount of time found it was the pressure cap. The price difference between the two as you can imagine is quite substantial.

Post #322948 4th May 2017 10:42 pm
Mrtafft

I6 Help

Hi Trav,

When they undo the cap there is a lot of pressure released causing coolant to burst out. They had it running for 2 hours at tick over without the cap on and the temp gauge sat at normal. They took it out for a 10 mile test drive with the cap on and that is when it pressurised. They have put a sniffer on the coolant and no exhaust gasses were found in the coolant. The garage said it pulls like a train and is very quick. When they brought it back to the garage there were 2 hoses that had burst on the test drive, Possibly under pressure, but it is possible that these were damaged as a result of the earlier oil contamination from the oil cooler rupturing. They have replaced the thermostat with a brand new Land Rover one.

I will pass on your advice to the garage.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Clive

Post #322959 5th May 2017 6:30 am
Trav

sounds like the cap is failing to vent off excessive pressure could be all gummed up with oil residue from the previous oil contamination.

Post #322960 5th May 2017 6:52 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Head Gasket and Coolant Leak Tests

Yes, good advice try a cap and garage should be using this sort of kit to test for pressure loss and test tank caps. If the pressure/fluid goes down and no external leak on running engine while warm you will find the exhaust emits white water vapour.

Also if head gasket breached badly if I remember correctly it will have the effect of pushing up the pressure gauge on the kit once engine is running. Basic mechanics kit of 40 years ago.

They vary in prices.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools/ca...0wod1asD3A

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht...-test-kit/ FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322983 5th May 2017 9:42 am
Trav

Believe it or not Bob some manufactures of cars start cold and work there way up to the middle based on a time scale and not actual engine temp and won't warn you when you are away to cook the engine. That BMW Mini was one example. Don't know if the FL2 is the same just stating that temp gauge isn't always right and or diagnostics always worth using live data steam to verify engine temp.

There can be several causes of white vapour but yeh water passing into the exhaust is one of them for head gasket diagnostics I prefer to look for bubbles appearing in the reservoir or getting the engine hot, putting a pressure gauge on the reservoir cap and looking for a rapid increase with the engine running. I do own a sniffer but never used it.

Post #322987 5th May 2017 9:56 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Fur coat and no knickers then Trav . Gauge looks nice but its doing Censored All. Rolling Eyes

Or as the Jewish Tailors used to say in Leeds - Never mind the quality feel the width. Laughing FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322996 5th May 2017 10:13 am
Trav

Pretty much. Quite misleading if anything.

Post #323017 5th May 2017 2:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1