Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Remap, no OBD tricks or chip swap.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dan_NL

Netherlands 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Manual Santorini Black
Remap, no OBD tricks or chip swap.

Hi, I had a remap done in the Netherlands on my FL2. I had it done with my D3 in 2011, worked well. Same shop as then.
This time: no power increase, but increae in consumption that dropped again from +15% to around +5% after a few weeks ,
and 800Kms.

Yesterday I was with the dealer. They checked all error codes. They were obsolete so they erased them. No new codes appeared after a test drive.
Car drives normal. No jutter, normal throttle response.

Now the tuners say they expect some extra torque limiting control may be added in the software to this start/stop economy low emission version, of which they are not aware.
Is there anybody on the forum who knows if this is a real possibility, or does this idea wins the BS-prize of this month... Laughing

Question [ Freelander 2 TD4e MY10 Sport manual. SVR badge engineered ] SOLD
& D3 MY06 HSE , many ,many extra's...
& 2011 MiTo 1.4T 135hp Centenario Blue Monte Carlo

Post #322869 4th May 2017 9:10 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

It is possible, but I noticed a marked improvement in performance in ALL gears after our 2010 Td4 had been mapped

It was only +25-30bhp or so, but the mid range improvement was huge Thumbs Up

I know my old Toyota limit torque in 1st and 2nd gears to protect the driveline. No way around it Big Cry

Post #322874 4th May 2017 9:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Arent 1st/2nd geared low in the FL2 as well as these are the off road gears so lowering the gearing allows for lack of centre diff etc ?

for me a remap on the FL2 would need to benefit in 3rd upwards mostly, so mid range acceleration etc.

Post #322880 4th May 2017 10:01 am
Dan_NL

I, nor the two mechanics [one owns a FL2 himself], noticed ANY improvement in power.

Mechanic says, possibly the tuners closed the remap incorrectly so it wasn't efectuated at all..

Meantime I arranged to go back there. They will run an analasys and then we decide what to do.

I seriously lean towards going back to the original mapping... Rolling Eyes [ Freelander 2 TD4e MY10 Sport manual. SVR badge engineered ] SOLD

Post #322881 4th May 2017 10:07 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

As a standard car I am very happy with the performance V fuel efficiency, if I want thrills and big fuel bill I would use a sports car.

Why pay any extra to just join the great UK daily car park Yawn FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322888 4th May 2017 11:57 am
RogB

totally agree Bob, its a tall 4x4 not a sports car..... which may well be my next choice of motor in a couple of years.

however sometimes a remap helps with economy and power delivery (smooth curve) as the factory mapping is so generic its not suited to every single car off the line.

Post #322890 4th May 2017 12:06 pm
Dan_NL

Its like RogB says, the car could run more efficient ánd have more torque and power,
so if its available, why not make use of it at marginal cost.

There is a 'stage 2' option, but that brings it near the margins of the design limits,
a place I wouldn't like to go. But if you need to overtake on a long incline, its
really worth it.. Mr. Green [ Freelander 2 TD4e MY10 Sport manual. SVR badge engineered ] SOLD

Post #322909 4th May 2017 1:58 pm
Yorky Bob

If mostly in Holland I can see why mapping may need to be different to say the Alps. 70 mph is the limit and how often can you reach that in UK Crying or Very sad FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322912 4th May 2017 2:43 pm
RogB

lots of places Bob... at 0300hrs (added advantage that the camera flashes are more obvious Laughing )

I had a remap done on a 2.0 CDti Insignia. boosted from 160bhp to approx. 200bhp, and from 290 lb/ft to 320 il/ft torque.
Economy went up by around 10mpg with no change in driving style from before the remap.

It wasn't so much the added BHP that I was interested in, but the delivery of that power was much smoother and less lumpy than before. The mid range torque was amazing and the economy was incredible. The engine also ran quieter.

Post #322914 4th May 2017 3:13 pm
Dresdner

Germany 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Was it just a re-map from a map data base or actual custom development of a map on a dyno?
There is no why that custom map developing on dyno will yield no difference.

Loading map from a data base can be problematic as you dont know were the map was developed and was the car the same as yours (DPF, Auto gear box, temperature etc..)

Post #322915 4th May 2017 4:07 pm
Yorky Bob

RogB wrote:
I had a remap done on a 2.0 CDti Insignia. boosted from 160bhp to approx. 200bhp, and from 290 lb/ft to 320 il/ft torque..

35 years ago I was adding the odd turbo to non turbo tractors, no magic computer box then. Place a Dyno on the rear power take off and open up the diesel deliver pump and slacken off the gubibns inside, reset and hey presto much more power (but a fuel cost). That was after converting it to 4WD first of course.

Yes anything is possible I guess but the though of all those beer tokens being used up makes me want to Big Cry FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322923 4th May 2017 5:12 pm
RogB

Bob it actually paid for itself with the fuel ecomony.... 10mpg extra Very Happy
only reason I moved it on was because I couldn't get used to a normal car and went back to a FL2

Dresdner - the map on the Insignia was done on a work desk. ECU had to come out. But the map used was a generic one specific for that engine etc. He couldn't provide accurate measurement for torque and power obviously but the map was written off a dyno'd car so estimates were made on that. However it definitely improved power, torque and mpg.

Post #322962 5th May 2017 7:19 am
Mikey

Yorky Bob wrote:
As a standard car I am very happy with the performance V fuel efficiency, if I want thrills and big fuel bill I would use a sports car.

Why pay any extra to just join the great UK daily car park Yawn

Because not all of us live in a daily car park Wink

My D3 has been mapped to 228bhp (soon to be 300+ Cool )my Defender to 210bhp, and my K series Freelander running 205bhp

Each one completely different to drive, but I couldn't go back to a standard one Thumbs Up

Post #322967 5th May 2017 8:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mikey

RogB wrote:

Dresdner - the map on the Insignia was done on a work desk. ECU had to come out.

Bench mapping is good fun Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Post #322968 5th May 2017 8:04 am
RogB

yep that's a bit neater than the guy I went to though Laughing

I used one called Junction 28 remaps.... he has good reputation around the area and has just expanded so seems to be doing something right.

He will charge £150 to OBD tune my SD4 but as Im still under LR Warranty I don't really want to mess

Post #322976 5th May 2017 9:09 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>