« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > electrical fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shattell894

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
electrical fault

HI Im new to the site today. I have a very odd fault that i wonder if anyone else has come across. I have an early freelander 2 registered in 2006 which up until now has been trouble free. Its covered 135k miles with minimal issues but yesterday that all changed
When ever i press the brake pedal all hell breaks loose on the dash!! the day resets or reports random errors, the doors unlock, the parking sensors turn on and start beeping even if I'm doing 70 on the motorway, Ive eve had the whole dash just turn off a few times. after if has happened i can't lock the car or open any of the rear doors, I have to turn off ignition remove key. put it back in start engine and turn off then everything is back to normal until i press the brake pedal again
Any one got any ideas? Ive checked battery, battery terminals, brake light bulbs all are ok
thanks in advance
Smile

Post #289706 7th Feb 2016 6:12 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Might help now after all this time to clean the battery earth at the point the cable fixes to the body and see if that helps?

Post #289708 7th Feb 2016 6:30 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Sounds like the battery voltage is dropping when you hit the brake pedal. I would start by measuring the battery voltage and see if it changes when the pedal is depressed. There could be a high resistance earth somewhere. Does it turn over OK on starting? Do the lights go dim when you hit the pedal? Does the radio go out too? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #289709 7th Feb 2016 6:33 pm
shattell894

Hi guys ,
No the lights don't dim and the radio is fine. I have noticed that the sat Nav looses my location but nothing goes off.
Turns over fine and when the fault occurs the driving isn't effected in anyway no loss of power etc.
I have tried emergency stop and abs is fine.
Will measure voltage on battery when pedal pressed in the morning and let you know
Thanks for the pointers
Andy

Post #289711 7th Feb 2016 6:48 pm
ricky64

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Had a vauxhall once that used to blow numerous fuses whenever the brake pedal was pressed, a loom had come adrift droped down and the pedal was pinching it and short circuiting things every time it was pressed

Post #289728 7th Feb 2016 9:53 pm
shattell894

well i think I've narrowed it down to being the brake light switch, if i remove fuse 28 from the foot well fuse box the problem goes away (unfortunately so do the brake lights)
so the next step is to replace the brake light switch (I've ordered one) any one know how to fit them easily? or is it a lay on floor groping around job Smile

Post #289878 9th Feb 2016 1:21 pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I know that the brake light switch can cause all sorts of problems with the D3 RRS platform so I would imagine it can do the same on the Freelander. Don't know about freelander but it's a 2 min job on a D3.

Also noticed your from Scunthorpe too, if you need a hand with anything let me know, I've got a pretty well kitted out workshop.

Pete.

Post #313207 14th Dec 2016 9:41 pm
Trav

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Manual Rimini Red

I'd say that the brake light switch/wiring being short circuit would most definitely be a good place to start. Have you checked the wiring or are you just going straight in for the senso change?

Don't know how it is to change but I do know the kick panel and airbag in that area is easy removed which opens it all right up for access if you are struggling.

Post #313285 16th Dec 2016 10:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1