« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fuel pump running after engine is shut off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
UK2CA2TX

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Fuel pump running after engine is shut off

I'm hearing the evaporate pump or fuel pump running after engine is shut off. Only occurs after the car has run for 30 minutes plus.

2008 LR2 HSE 100K miles

Post #302129 6th Jul 2016 6:51 pm
glynhughes

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Tambora Flame
deleted

double post deleted --
Freelander 2 3.2l i6 Auto HSE Orange (Tambora Flame) 2006

Last edited by glynhughes on 2nd Nov 2016 2:33 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #309987 31st Oct 2016 7:26 am
glynhughes

Is it a petrol 3.2l? Have you had the orange engine warning light come on at all (whether or not it stays on)?

I noticed the same thing you mention around the same time my engine warning light came on. the data reading software said it had two fuel pump faults; one low fuel pressure and one high. Didn't seem to be any issues with the car's performance. advice from garage after clearing the fault codes and warning lihjt was 'carry on as normal for now and note then report back any further occurrences and look out for any changes in way the car runs. 10 days later (aka yesterday) and the car conked out at a junction just as the car should have moved off. Restarting elicited turning over and splutters for a second or two, and then no response from the engine at all when the starter motor was turned over..

I don't know at this stage what's occurred (breakdown truck towing it to garage this morning) - seems likely its to do with the fuel supply somewhere along the line. I'll post again with an update when I know more. I'm assuming that the warning lights and pmump running

I mention this in case your experience begins to mirror my own and in the hope that you might achieve a preemptive fix with less disruption than I'm facing. Perhaps at lower cost too? --

Post #309988 31st Oct 2016 7:42 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

worried now, my anger management light come on a few days ago and the code said low fuel pressure! Common sense isn't very common.

Post #309996 31st Oct 2016 11:22 am
paulblincoln

Singapore 2011 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

I would be a bit worried about that. Just had a chat with my usual mechanic about this a week or so ago and he reported three incidents where a Nissan car's ABS pumps/motors activated with the ignition switched off. One in a Nissan Teana drained the already weak battery and stopped. Another on a Nissan Latio was disabled by the mechanic when the car was brought in and the third caught fire with the customer as the pump had overheated and the looms started burning up.

Reminds me of my previous W124 Mercedes that has a pneumatic pump under the rear seats that has a direct connection to the battery and its sole purpose is to pressurise the central locking system with air. Has a wonderful silent fluid motion when it locks but when one of those pneumatic hoses comes loose in your door, then the pump goes on overdrive till it fails.

Post #309999 31st Oct 2016 12:39 pm
UK2CA2TX

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes it's the 3.2 Ford/Volvo inline 6. No, the engine warning light hasn't come on, and this only happens after the car has run for +30 minutes. The pump noise only runs for about 3 minutes. Battery did die a couple of weeks ago, but I'm sure that was unrelated - it was 4.5 years old and that's good for Texas - it gets hotter and hotter here in the summer.

Post #310167 2nd Nov 2016 1:20 pm
glynhughes

UPDATE...
Have the car back from the garage. Only the Fuel Pressure Regulator needed to be replaced - this was the cause of the engine warning light too - (I expect all the other related electrical or mechanical bits got a once-over in the proicess). Body Control Module was under suspicion at first too. There were lots of 'crash" type sensor readings logged. None since the repair and I understand it was tested at length. (they put a good few miles on the clock anyway)

Fingers crossed doubly that the BCM doesn't turn out to need replacing. 1. cos it's £800 and. 2. cos that would most likely mean the car ceasing to work during a trip with little or no warning. --

Post #310664 9th Nov 2016 12:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1