Home > Technical > Strange noise on TD4 Automatic
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
quiks

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Strange noise on TD4 Automatic

Hi!

I'm having a strange issue with my LR2 TD4 Diesel Automatic. Since the beggining that I have my car (one year or so), I hear a strange noise when the car goes from the 1st to the 2nd gear. It's like something is rubbing in the motor. Pretty strange!

Here is the way to reproduce (50% of the time!) the noise:
- Start your car, but remain stationnary (Drive position)
- Accelerate pretty hard (before the Kick Down!)
- Listen up: you should hear a strange noise when the car is switching from the 1st to the 2nd gear!

I first went to a dealer in France (I bought the car there). The dealer clearly heard the noise during a test drive (6 months after the car purchase). He told me: "Something's going on here: It's not normal! Let me check that!". I left the car 2 days. After two days, he ended up saying me that this is happening on every other TD4 LR2 as well. But he could'nt explain it. That's just a noise.... nothing to bother. Anyway.... I've just paied 42.000€ for that car.... Sounds good to me that the dealer does not care at all Evil or Very Mad

6 months later, I went to another dealer in Switzerland. Again, I did a test drive. Again, the dealer clearly heard the noise. He took my car for two days. After that, again, he told me that the noise is reproducable on every single NEW TD4 LR2 he have. This is then something common to all TD4. OK then. The dearler told me that he will ask LR UK to see if a workaround is available. This was last month. I haven't hear anything yet from my dealer. My guess is: No workaround!

Did someone noticed this as well? Did someone knows what is causing this? Did someone work at LR and can tell me what is going on with this Censored Peugeot motor!!!!!!

Cheers,
Thanks a lot!

Post #29846 24th Oct 2008 2:32 pm
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I too have experienced the noise you mention and it has happened on both the FR2's I have owned.

It seems to happen as you suggest and is more noticeable when the car is warm.

The first vehicle I owned it was louder, it does not happen all the time only when accelarating hard away from first gear and at 2000RPM.

I assume it must be a feature of all freelanders or something to do with the four wheel drive engaging at that RPM.

If it happens on all freelanders I am not too worried if it does not cause any other failure. Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #29867 24th Oct 2008 8:51 pm
pjelsworth

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Alaska White

PJW wrote:
I too have experienced the noise you mention and it has happened on both the FR2's I have owned.

It seems to happen as you suggest and is more noticeable when the car is warm.

The first vehicle I owned it was louder, it does not happen all the time only when accelarating hard away from first gear and at 2000RPM.

I assume it must be a feature of all freelanders or something to do with the four wheel drive engaging at that RPM.

If it happens on all freelanders I am not too worried if it does not cause any other failure.

Doesn't the FL2 have a feature whereby it sets off in 4WD to prevent wheelspin and then reverts to 2WD once underway. Maybe it is that you can hear, or did I dream this Question

Post #30076 28th Oct 2008 8:05 pm
chrisaviss

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Auto model

So what has happened since?
I have an auto FL2 and have had no probs at all, and I also tow, yes, (CG), a caravan, on occasion.
What I will say, is that I support YF in his effort to promote a better understanding of lube oil in our cars, and why we should be actually putting the recommended oil into our engines.
So, you do not put an MB class oil into your engine. Will that do any harm?
Most certainly, yes, and more assuredly if you tow a van, as there are huge increases in prop shaft torque, for one, resulting in greater stresses in the engine. The end result could be, after, admittedly, many years, engine break-down.
The major reason for using extra-spec (i.e, >Ford) lube oil, is to prolong the life of the engine...it will be interesting to see the results in a few years.
CA

Post #30082 28th Oct 2008 11:02 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Re: Auto model

chrisaviss wrote:
I also tow, yes, (CG), a caravan, on occasion.

say 10 hail marys and thou shall receive redemption, now go in peace and sell your van At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #30084 28th Oct 2008 11:11 pm
quiks

I really think that it has nothing to do with oil. To me it's more like the turbo kinda changing its geometry or something like that.... Does someone has a i6 engine having the same noise ?

Post #30097 29th Oct 2008 11:14 am
Fontuin

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Zermatt Silver

Mine also makes this noise, I was concerned until I heard that they all do it, if that is te case I just ignore it.

Post #30159 30th Oct 2008 11:03 am
quiks

Fontuin wrote:
Mine also makes this noise, I was concerned until I heard that they all do it, if that is te case I just ignore it.

But still.... amazing for such a car.... Neutral

Post #30161 30th Oct 2008 11:11 am
CK

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

Mine does the same, and the brand new GS Auto demo car I got as a complimentry car when mine was due for service did the same as well.

Post #30390 3rd Nov 2008 8:22 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Mine too. Only first to second under load. Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #30444 4th Nov 2008 5:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1