Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Coolant pump failure - heater not working - td4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johanlr2

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Coolant pump failure - heater not working - td4

Just a bit of information i experienced this week, wife complained about heater inside our lr2 not working, at first i started looking around and could not find anything particular. Then 2 days ago, i noticed the heater core hoses from thermostat being ice cold while the engine is running. I thought it be a blockage on the egr side.

1 day ago, our beloved landy started overheating. I took it for a ride and found it comes to normal running temperature, then out of the blue the temps started climbing, quickly. and then just as quick, drop back to running temp, fans were running on and off, i suspected the first thing would be the thermostat, removed it, and tested it several times with kettle water. was working just fine. re-installed, filled system with coolant and water 50/50. took it for a test drive, and found the temps high within a few minutes, then dropping, then climbing erratically. at this stage i ruled out the thermostat, i flushed out all hoses to make sure no blockages was present somewhere, all were open. no leaks. i decided that the next step would be coolant pump. so i removed it, took about 1 hour, would be quicker if the crank pulley wasn't so stubborn. anyhow, removed the pump, and found it good condition, but.... the impeller was running freely, so when the timing belt was driving the pump, the shaft turned, but the impeller did not. done a temporary fix, with a stainless steel welding rod and some welding. I found the impeller pressed on the shaft, which had eventually worked itself loose.

after fix was done, i bled the system by removing the hose from the thermostat to radiator, and filled coolant in there towards radiator until coolant showed in expansion tank, i then fitted the hose back onto the thermostat, and started the car, idled until running temp and topped up maybe a cup of water... all seems okay now.

will be ordering a new pump tomorrow. my life starts where tar roads ends

Post #303805 3rd Aug 2016 6:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1