« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Anyone Tried Green Laning in Devon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue
Anyone Tried Green Laning in Devon

Just wondered If anyone has tried Green Laning in Devon as i have used a few to avoid summer traffic holdups nr Ashburton caused by the Usual Caravan towers who drive in the middle of the road.

Green lane map of Devon.
http://www.qwerf.com/greenlaning/?county=devon

Post #291908 28th Feb 2016 9:12 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Drove a few with the Honiton LRE New Years Day outing around SE Devon a few years back. They also take you to some private lanes. Biggest problem was ground clearance to a manhole cover on the lane up from the river crossing at Newton Popleford. Also bent the exhaust heat shield so that it rubbed on the propshaft all the way home. Fuel tank grounded a number of times so the tank guard was fitted.

Post #291915 28th Feb 2016 9:46 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Looking at the map I noticed that Woodhuish Lane near Brixham is mentioned. I walked this last year. It hadn't changed much from the time I drove it in an Astra Estate in the 1980's or 90's. There is a steep section before the big right turn going down that is smooth cambered rock. Going down is fine as you are just controlling your speed and direction. Going up was more of a problem as the road tyres couldn't get any grip on the rock. I reckon the FL2 would do it easy and might try next time I'm down there.
By the way. There is another road out shown but I wouldn't even try it. It starts nicely but deteriorates hugely. I couldn't ride down it on a MTB. A really steep,loose surface, no grip at all.

Post #291921 28th Feb 2016 10:24 am
Bandit

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Used to do quite a bit with the D&C section of DOC.

Remember a lovely one up through the woods toward houndstor. Go from Bovey to yarner woods nature place, go past garner on your left and the lane is just after, on your right.

I used to live in Brixham and was always scrambling around the Woodhuishtriangle behind Mansands.. My mate once drove his old fourtrack right round the entire loop. Different times back then mind.

Post #292783 6th Mar 2016 3:00 pm
768will

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Just wondered If anyone has tried Green Laning in Devon as i have used a few to avoid summer traffic holdups nr Ashburton caused by the Usual Caravan towers who drive in the middle of the road.

Just a point - The A38 is dual carriage way around Ashburton. Doesn't get into 3 lanes until nearing Plymouth

BTW if you intend to use Woodhuish lane it's now very popular with walkers and horse-riders so be prepared to reverse a long way as there's not many passing places. 11 GS Bali Blue
07 GS FL2. Usually muddy. Gone
Numerous LRs since 1963

Post #292788 6th Mar 2016 3:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1