Home > Technical > Sport Mode Gear Changes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Spatch

England 
Sport Mode Gear Changes

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if the gearbox changes gear more quickly in Sport mode when compared with D. I am finding the gearbox more jolty between off/on throttle or when pulling away as if it is hurriedly engaging a gear from neutral. In D it is smoother.

Just to add, I prefer driving in S as the gear selections, change downs etc suit my driving better but the joltiness annoys the hell out of me.

It is going back to the dealer this week to get it looked at but just wondered if anyone knew the difference between the S and D mode gear changes.

Cheers,

Post #288775 30th Jan 2016 5:53 pm
simon-g

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

My understanding was that each gear would be held for longer in sport mode, i.e it would rev higher before changing.

Having come from a smooth V6 (Disco 3) I find the Freelander quite jolty in both drive and sport mode.

Simon

Post #288791 30th Jan 2016 7:15 pm
alex_pescaru

In sport mode the torque converter clutch is locking more quickly in order to maximize power transfer.
So yes, the feel is more "jolty", because when TCC locks, the power transfer is direct, like in the case of a manual clutch.

Post #288794 30th Jan 2016 7:23 pm
Spatch

England 

So does the TCC engage pretty much as soon as the gear changes then?

What I find in S is that on a trailing throttle around a roundabout (for example) I depress the throttle and there is a slight pause, then a jolt, then drive. In D, if I do the same, there is a smoother engagement of drive without much of a jolt.

So in S, is the TCC engaging before the two halves of the TCC are spinning at the same rotational speed, hence the jolt is due to the clucth locking the two halves together (as you say like a manual clutch). In D, it waits longer before locking the TCC and the two halves are closer in rotational speed, hence less of a jolt??

Cheers,

Post #288800 30th Jan 2016 7:56 pm
alex_pescaru

It's a little more complicated than that.
Indeed, in sport, the TCC is engaging as soon as the gear is changed.
But in that case you are talking about with the roundabout, I have the feeling that the jolt is because of the box downshifting, not because of the TCC...
The TCC is modulated in two stages so the gearshifts can be made smooth in sport too, no matter the rotational speed of the two halves, but not that is the priority in that moment.
More of this, your gearbox is of the second generation with auto neutral and many things optimized, but in the same time more complicated in its fuzzy logic and therefore more demanding on the hardware.
For this reason the oil is also changed every 30000 miles...

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 30th Jan 2016 9:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #288820 30th Jan 2016 9:37 pm
Spatch

England 

Thanks.

So why is the lower gear not already selected and engaged - suitable for the speed like it does at other speeds? This has always been my suspicion that the jolt is because it hasnt engaged a gear, and then hurriedly has to do so.

Also, why is it less noticeable in D than S if it is due to downshifting and not the speed the TCC in engaging at? Does it engage it more quickly?

Cheers,

Post #288825 30th Jan 2016 10:06 pm
alex_pescaru

An automatic gearbox is always in a gear. That is not always in the best one, this is another story... Laughing

When in D, the economy and comfort is the key word, when in sport, the performance.
Therefore, in D, it's possible that it doesn't downshifts and it keeps the higher gear - even if you push the accelerator - and launch with it, slower indeed (remember, economy), but letting you the impression that it's a smooth progress (comfort).
In sport, a slight press on the accelerator will make it downshift quickly (remember, performance), therefore the jolt.

In sport, as I've said, the TCC is locked as soon as possible, while in D, it's modulated only in the last part of the current gear and before changing gears up.

Post #288829 30th Jan 2016 10:33 pm
Wireworld

United Kingdom 

There is a gearbox software update for later models. Mine jolted until this was applied and its really smooth now but I see you already know this Embarassed http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic25346.html

Post #288830 30th Jan 2016 10:37 pm
Spatch

England 

alex_pescaru wrote:
When in D, the economy and comfort is the key word, when in sport, the performance.
Therefore, in D, it's possible that it doesn't downshifts and it keeps the higher gear - even if you push the accelerator - and launch with it, slower indeed (remember, economy), but letting you the impression that it's a smooth progress (comfort).
In sport, a slight press on the accelerator will make it downshift quickly (remember, performance), therefore the jolt.

Bow down I think that may well explain it. I hadnt mentioned it but when pulling away in D from a slow corner/roundabout, when I put my foot down it pulls away smoothly but then often drops a gear within a second or so. The combination of pulling away and then dropping a gear is much smoother than it (I assume) dropping a gear immediately the throttle is pressed when in S.

Interestingly, I took an XC60 D5 R-Design auto out for a spin the other day and this did not seem to suffer from the jolting in sport. I guess just down to a different box/sofware.

Its a shame as, other than the jolt, the operation of the gearbox in S is more to my liking. I will see what the dealer says as I also find it a bit off/on when reversing with the caravan, and the delay in 'taking off' quickly when trying to join a fast road is a bit disconcerting.

Cheers,

Post #288836 30th Jan 2016 11:05 pm
alex_pescaru

It's a two tonne brick and it's quite dynamic as it is... Laughing

As per jolt(s), I will prefer a box that jolts (in a normal manner, not a defective one) to a box that don't because a smooth box will mean a lot of slippage inside the box, that will lead to a lot of clutches/bands stress, with a lot of wear off material in suspension inside transmission oil, unnecessary clogged filters, reduction in reliability, etc, etc....

If you get used with it, it will serve you well... Very Happy Again, it's not a sport car.

Post #288841 30th Jan 2016 11:56 pm
Spatch

England 

Yes it is a 2 tonne brick and not a sports car but I still expect it to operate acceptably. Rolling Eyes

I spent just shy of £30000 for this car - top of the range model from a premuim brand - 6 months ago. The XC60 I test drove was a year younger and £1000 cheaper. If Volvo can produce a car that drives smoothly in both S and D then why not LR.

I take your point that joltiness means potentailly less wear but I am sure Volvo havent released a car that will wear its gearbox out prematurely. Plus simon-g who posted above says, in his opinion, the Freelander is jolty compared with the D3.

I dont mean to rant but I also have creaking noises coming from my headlining and my suspension in noisy over speed humps. Not what I would expect from a premiom brand. To boot, this is my second Freelander within under a year as my first one suffered from the dreaded hesitation and I got it swapped.

I really like the car and it frustrates the hell out of me to have to rant as above, but it should be better in my opinion.

I really appreciate your responses Alex as I think you have answered my questions exactly. I will see what the dealer says when it goes in later this week.

And before anyone says, 'if you dont like it get a different car' - I do like it very much. It is the car I chose over all the others (and I did plenty of research in the first place).

Post #288970 31st Jan 2016 8:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1