Home > My Freelander 2 > My Freelander 2 Experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
irishjag

Ireland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
My Freelander 2 Experience

Dear forum,

I have moved on now and thought I would record my Freelander 2 experience. I was driving in the ice today in my new rear wheel drive MB and missing the faultless performance from my freelanders in the snow and ice as the rear end snaked around!!

I had 2 freelander 2's.

The first I bought new in 2008, an automatic.
I loved driving it immediately and so did the wife. We had a discovery 2 before we got the freelander and the wife hated it.
After a year and a half the differential started whining and it was replaced under warranty.
Another year later the steering rack failed and again was replaced under warranty.
No further problems, had it for 160000 km and then changed it for an almost identical 2008 model, about the same mileage but a manual. Wasn't as nice to drive but still a great driving experience.

After five months the gearbox failed and was replaced under warranty. Then suffered from a sticky clutch which to be fair was only due to shoddy work when the gearbox was replaced. There was a hydraulic seal that wasn't replaced and leaked/let air into the system. After a couple of trips back to the garage and a very scary experience when the clutch failed completely while pulling a loaded horsebox up a hill this problem was eventually sorted out. The rear wiper motor also went about this time.
7 months later had intermittent starting problems. Took the starter off and replaced the solenoid contacts using a kit off ebay and problem solved.

About the same time had the airbag light come on intermittently and then stayed on permanently. Was traced by an indie to a broken wire in the connector under the drivers seat and fixed.
Almost immediately had the throttle body grinding/failure thing. Bought a new one off ebay and replaced it, was an easy job. Unfortunately the MAP sensor broke when I was taking off the throttle body so had to replace this for another 60 bucks from ebay. Sold my second one with 200000 km on the clock.

Ok so that's it.
I have to say that even with the hickups I loved the cars, they were a great drive and as I said at the start absolutely faultless in ice and snow and muddy fields with a full horse box.

Regards

Chris

Post #286848 11th Jan 2016 11:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1