« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Rumbling noise & other strange things! Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Kemaro

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Caspian Blue
Rumbling noise & other strange things! Help

I have a GS MY07 , 75k miles, FSH, never had any issues until recently, dropped car of at garage Friday night for mot early Saturday morning, no problems, picked it up Saturday about 9.15, put key fob in & there was a slight delay when starting, thought nothing of it,also noticed trip miles had reset to zero, thought garage must have done it, used it later that day & noticed that radio went off very briefly then came back on,also noticed that sometimes on starting the trip was reset & so was mpg & avg speed, I thought this was odd so had a search on here at a couple of things it could be, software update needed, second earth.

On starting the car today after work it would not start until I removed key & put it back in, again with a slight delay & all readings reset, only this time there was a loud rumbling noise on tick over from engine bay, it went away when revved but came back on idle, switched it off & started again , same thing, had a quick look under bonnet with phone light in pouring rain, it appeared to come from the left side of engine where belts & pulleys are situated, seemed to be more of a vibration, after driving home keeping an eye & ear on things it had disappeared on tick over, stopped & started several times after but no noise this time, also I could swear that the fuel gauge needle moved considerably more in the 15 mile drive home than I've ever noticed, I'm hoping that some guys on here who are a lot more knowledgeable than me can maybe shed some light on this for me, it just seems a coincidence that all this has come about after an mot...

Cheers kev

Post #283711 7th Dec 2015 9:53 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Could be crank shaft pulley or tensioner?

Post #283714 7th Dec 2015 10:55 pm
Kemaro

With a little further reading & investigation & the fact that a few electrical gremlins popped up & a little loss in mpg I'm going to look at it being the alternator pulley! So next question , change just pulley or whole alternator? And is it a big expensive job ? , thanks

Post #283733 8th Dec 2015 10:05 am
ricky64

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

remove the auxillary belt and see if the rumbling goes, without the pressure on the pulley you may feel play/roughness, if it is the alternator i would just replace it as i have never had much success replacing individual components on them, once spent about 4 hours removing and soldering new diode pack into an alternator, worked great for about a week then the bearings collapsed on it, if one part has gone on it the rest of it wont be far behind

Post #283748 8th Dec 2015 1:38 pm
Kemaro

As it looks like the alternator has to come out anyway it may be just as well to change it , when I get chance & some where in the dry I will check it properly, I need to change front discs & pads so it may be worth doing all at once whilst Bits are off, cost is main thing as I don't have time ,space or tools to do it all anymore..

Post #283751 8th Dec 2015 2:13 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Funny how its all happened just after the MOT test was done? bet its because they thrash the things doing the emissions tests, revving them right up under no load?
Theres been cases of diesel engines blowing up during it in the past too.

Post #283753 8th Dec 2015 2:42 pm
Kemaro

This is my thought , its run perfectly for the last 12 months & it played up almost as soon as I had it back, its a garage I hadn't used before but was only one I could get around here to do an mot on a Saturday! I'm going to take it back & say this started after I picked it up & see what they say ..

Post #283754 8th Dec 2015 2:50 pm
Kemaro

Well its looking like the cause of the rumbling is the a/c pump, noise stops when you switch it off, starts when you turn it on, makes a slight rumble when on econ mode , still puzzled with the fuel gauge , it seemed to go from 3/4 to half way on my usual 30 mile commute ...

Post #283790 8th Dec 2015 9:25 pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hi Kemaro

Thank you for your post.

I note your comments and would advise that in order to comment on the concerns that you are experiencing, we would require a physical diagnosis to be completed by an approved Land Rover Retailer who will be able to inspect your vehicle and advise us of their findings.

However, as I am aware from your comments that the concerns with your vehicle arose shortly after the completion of the MOT, I would suggest raising this matter with the relevant repairing agent.

Regards

Ryan Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #283834 9th Dec 2015 11:45 am
Kemaro

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply, I intend to go back to the garage asap , can you recommend a retailer who could a diagnostic test & physical check in my area & roughly how much it may cost so I can at least see & understand what I'm dealing with , I live in Pembrokeshire, post code SA65 9ER

Thanks

Post #283866 9th Dec 2015 2:14 pm
Kemaro

Few basic checks & I think it may be alternator pulley, aircon blows hot & cold as it should & seems to work OK, noise does stop when it's off, how ever there is a slight noise when in econ mode, gets louder when you turn blowers up to full , also with it off & putting lights in there is a slight noise , suggesting its making a noise when under load & with all running its at its loudest , hope to get it properly checked this weekend !

Post #283983 10th Dec 2015 11:00 am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hi Kemaro

Thank you for your posts.

I note your query and must advise that I would be unable to comment regarding any potential costs for investigation into the concerns that you have described as the labour rate of our retailers may differ slightly as they are independent franchised businesses. Additionally, I cannot account for the scope of the required investigations.

However, I have taken the opportunity of providing the link below which will allow you to find Land Rover approved retailers in your area;

http://www.landrover.co.uk/national-dealer-locator.html

Regards

Ryan Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #283995 10th Dec 2015 1:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1