Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fitting (detachable) Witter Towbar - Tips and Tricks?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Fitting (detachable) Witter Towbar - Tips and Tricks?

Fitting the above to the FL2 tomorrow.

All delivered today with comprehensive fitting instructions, however I wondered if anyone who had been down this road before me had any tips and tricks they learnt along the way?

I'm planning on removing the rear bumper as I want to try and fix a parking sensor problem at the same time. Should I leave it off while I then fit the tow bar, or does that make it more difficult?

Will have to get the electrics coded by LR as I have the genuine loom (kindly supplied by "HappyNomad") - what sort of amount of time/labour cost would be reasonable to do this? Does it have to be LR, or will an indy with LR diagnostics be able to do it?

Post #265746 3rd Jun 2015 9:19 pm

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

don't fit a bumper protector plate on tow hitch as it can interfere with reversing sensors

Post #265755 3rd Jun 2015 9:54 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Just fitted my tow bar from the last car to the new car and bumper off is a good plan... The electrics have clips pre attached & correctly spaced to secure the cable all the way from where it emerges from the car, under the bumper cover to the tow bar.

The bumper off and on is an easy one man / 15 minute job with no need to remove the wheel arch liners - your instructions may suggest that they should come out but you can just ease the outer lower edges out and get to the two 10mm set screws each side with a short socket extension.

While it is off, fit the tow bar and there will no need to drill holes behind the reflector.

I have no idea how much a dealer will charge to activate the kit though as mine did it for free with that set of electrics and the new set is fully plug & play.

Post #265761 3rd Jun 2015 10:09 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

For anybody reading this in the future:----
No need to remove the bumper, no need to remove the reflector and drill hołes.
You know where the bolts are; just reach up blind; feel the heads and use a ratchet ring spanner.
Easy peasy !
Kind regards from Fred.
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #265766 3rd Jun 2015 11:04 pm
choccymonster

Having now completed this, I can appreciate that you don't NEED to remove the bumper or reflector - however it is WAY, WAY easier if you do.

Removing/attaching the bumper at either end of the process adds another 30 mins to the entire procedure, but reduces the number of swear words and quantity of blood shed by about 5000%.

If anyone trawls this thread further down the line, I can seriously recommend removing the bumper - makes it far easier.

Post #266228 7th Jun 2015 11:59 am
warstraw

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Hi choccymonster. I am also looking at purchasing this towbar with the dedicated 13 pin electrics kit. Did you have to take your car to Land Rover to get the electrics coded or did it work first time without it? Thanks

Post #273067 18th Aug 2015 5:18 pm
choccymonster

Mine is a 2007 car so needed to be coded. Later cars (2013 onwards?) don't and just work straight out of the box.

No need to go to a LR dealer (who'll charge you £60) - any independent with an AutoLogic (or similar) should be able to do it in 5 mins flat for a couple of beer tokens.....

Post #273075 18th Aug 2015 5:52 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Hi, Warstraw, your profile shows you as having a 2010 GS.
In early 2010 the cars were 'pre facelift' and need one type of LR electrics kit which needs the dealer configuation.
In mid 2010 LR were already making the 2011 spec which is often referred to as 'facelift'. This 2011 spec car built in 2010 needs a different electrics kit which is plug and play and doesn't need a dealer intervention.
Which spec Freelie is yours?
Kind regards from Fred
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #273077 18th Aug 2015 5:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1