« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Black side protection bars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
r12ure

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red
Black side protection bars

Can anyone who has black side protection bars confirm if they tend to be slippy in the wet or are they generally OK.

I'm trying to decide whether to go for side steps or black side bars.
I've got side steps on the discovery and there great for making it easier for the kids to get in and out and we went for them because my wife felt the side protection bars might be slippy.

I fancy bars for the freelander but dont want the kids slipping on them so I would go for steps again if that were the case.

Cheers..

Post #25859 19th Aug 2008 12:07 am
Cypress

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi,

I've installed them, I'm not sure that they extend far enough from the body to be used as step.

I would also guess that they would be slippy as they have a smooth finish on a tube

Paul;

Post #25864 19th Aug 2008 6:53 am
PA51 ELY

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi

I have the steps fitted and they are ideal for the Wife (short A**E) and the Mother in Law to get in and out. As stated the SPT are to protect the sills and you may end up breaking your leg if trying to use as a step.

Something I did not realise is, in order to use the car jack you need to remove the side steps. They are designed with three bolts on each side which are the same size as your wheel nuts. Not sure I would be too happy lying on my back on the Hard shoulder taking my steps off. A trolly jack would solve this and thus a call to Land Rover Assist is a must if you have a blow out with side steps.

Some pics in my gallary of both my FL2's if it helps you to make your mind up

Good luck

Post #25865 19th Aug 2008 7:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grimbo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

PA51 ELY wrote:
Hi

I have the steps fitted and they are ideal for the Wife (short A**E) and the Mother in Law to get in and out. As stated the SPT are to protect the sills and you may end up breaking your leg if trying to use as a step.

Something I did not realise is, in order to use the car jack you need to remove the side steps. They are designed with three bolts on each side which are the same size as your wheel nuts. Not sure I would be too happy lying on my back on the Hard shoulder taking my steps off. A trolly jack would solve this and thus a call to Land Rover Assist is a must if you have a blow out with side steps.

Some pics in my gallary of both my FL2's if it helps you to make your mind up

Good luck

I use an air bag jack and you don't need to take off the side tubes in the event of a flat tyre. Just place underneath the side tube and sill near the jacking point and inflate. I also use it on the caravan for leveling up, putting on alko whell locks and of course for flat tyres. Once you get used to one, they are Very quick, stable, and easy to use.

Post #25866 19th Aug 2008 8:46 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have the side bars.

They do not pertrude out enough to be used as steps, the courtasy cars i have had with side step, I found they got in the way where getting into the car as i had to step into the car from a extra 5" away as stepping on the steps meant i had to duck to get into the car.

My son (nearly 3yrs) can climb into the car no problems though when its wet he does get a little dirty so side steps would make it easier:?

You don't actually have to completely remove the side bar to access the jacking points, just realease the bolts enough to slide it forward. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25867 19th Aug 2008 9:25 am
scribble

I have the steps and I think they are worth the extra as it really improves the look of the car. I know that is a subjective opinion but most others that have seen the car, comment that the steps really make it stand out in a crowd.

I actually have a demo FL2 at the moment while mine is getting fixed, that doesn't have the steps and I actually miss them. I haven't found them awkward at all, simply step over them getting in and then usually down on to them getting out.

Post #25872 19th Aug 2008 12:34 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I think the side steps look nice too Thumbs Up

But they will get in the way if your going to do any serious offroading, and will possible get bent/dented Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25875 19th Aug 2008 1:24 pm
r12ure

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Thanks for everyones comments.

I had'nt realised that they could not be used to step on so that's averted an expensive error.

I'll keep an eye open for side steps on ebay as these will be more practical for the kids and me (being a short a**e myself you see).

Cheers

Post #25885 19th Aug 2008 6:41 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Got my old man visiting at the moment and he is a real short ass and could do with the side steps instead of the wooden box Whistle - so its a pity the side steps are not just click on for that use and clip off for serious driving Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #25908 20th Aug 2008 4:23 pm
PepperPot

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

np said:

Quote:
... the courtasy cars i have had with side step, I found they got in the way where getting into the car as i had to step into the car from a extra 5" away as stepping on the steps meant i had to duck to get into the car

I found the same with a courtesy car with side steps (kept bashing my ankles), and my wife, who suffers from severe arthritis, actually found getting into that one more difficult than getting into mine (which has no steps).

So if anyone is thinking of getting sidesteps I strongly recommed that you try a vehicle with them fitted - they may not be the benefit that you think they will be! 2007 Baltic Blue SE TD4 Auto

Post #25934 20th Aug 2008 10:32 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

thats good advice Thumbs Up

I'm glad i had a loan car with the sides steps on prior to adding the tubes as i wanted the step and i would have ended up selling them due to the discomfort, I don't think it helps been over 6 foot Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25936 20th Aug 2008 10:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1