Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Advice needed - fl2 stuck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Knoxy

Switzerland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Lago Grey
Advice needed - fl2 stuck

Hi everyone,

Wondered if someone could help me out. I got in my 2007 model today started the engine, made sure the hands brake wasn't on and tried to reverse but it was stuck. I could feel the momentum trying to move her but it wouldn't budge. I be had a couple of times a problem with the rear roughly right wheel sticking but it always moved. This time it wouldn't move. I had to stop t trying as it was starting to burn the clutch.

I'm going to take the rear wheels of this afternoon and take a look but I wondered if anyone else had seen this issue before?

Thanks,
Mike

Post #256826 14th Mar 2015 11:33 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Ummmm...... Thoughts.
First jack up the LEFT rear wheel clear of ground and see it the wheel rotates with handbrake off. If yes then put the handbrake on an recheck for rotation locked. If yes then you know the handbrake lever and cable functions correct.
Now repeat on the RIGHT rear wheel.
From your comments I guess that you will find it locked solid.
It could be the cable , it could be the operating link between the shoes at the forward position. You need to use a crowbar and turn the hub and drum round so the adjuster peephole is at the back and you can see the adjuster and with a stout screwdriver click the adjuster until you release off the brake shoes.
Don't dream of trying the handbrake lever.
Remove the caliper and disc and only then investigate whether yo have a seized cable or internal link.
If you had tried the handbrake with the adjuster let off you would have risked pushing the shoes out further and risk never getting the disc off as the shoes will be running inside a worn groove.
Good luck and kind regards, Fred
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #256829 14th Mar 2015 11:51 am
3disco

United Kingdom 

Frozen cable?

Post #256831 14th Mar 2015 12:24 pm
Knoxy

Great respone Fred. I will check that out.

Post #256832 14th Mar 2015 12:36 pm
Knoxy

So I took your advice Fred and got the wheels off but I couldn't move the hubs. They were properly stuck. I managed to get the little cover off and sprayed some WD40 inside to see if that helped. It didn't seem to so I ended up calling the roadside assistance. They guy comes out and with a hammer smacks the back hubs four or five times and voila it's moving again. I think the wd40 helped after all.

Anyway i need to take it to the garage now and get them changed before they seize again.

Thanks again for the advice.
Mike

Post #257061 16th Mar 2015 7:32 am
ad210358

England 

Shoes, delaminated? p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #257069 16th Mar 2015 9:12 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Could be the handbrake shoes had stuck on the drum. Try pulling the handbrake on slowly while going no more than 10mph and that may clean up the shoes/drum. Can't beat stripping down for a thorough examination though. Thumbs Up

Post #257070 16th Mar 2015 9:17 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

My gut feeling is that the pivot pins on the forward link have all but seized due to rust.
If you remove the disc it is possible to remove these links whilst leaving the shoes, springs and shoe retainers all in place.
In the garage the link can be held in the vice and worked free, use brake aerosol cleaner to keep flushing the rust dust out of the joint. one free you can work grease back into the pivot. There is no need to travel to a dealer to but replacement parts as that option takes up more time.
For anybody who is an engineer, the centre flat portion should have its hole opened up and be fitted with a brass bush then make and fit a new stainless pivot pin..........problem solved.
Kind regards from Fred
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #257085 16th Mar 2015 11:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1