« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Body Side Mouldings Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cyberil

United Kingdom 
Body Side Mouldings Issue

Picked up my new FL2 GS today. Very happy with it. When I arrived they had just fitted the optional body side mouldings I ordered,. I noticed rather than being black like the other plastics they were a blotchy dirty grey just like you see on older vehicles where the plastic bumpers have been bleached by the sun. They promptly applied a spray that darkens the plastic which is fine but in my experience with older cars this soon washes off with the rain.

Has anyone else had experience of this? Does the spray need to be applied regularly? and are the mouldings easily removed? Should I return the mouldings?

Cheers!

Paul

Post #24680 23rd Jul 2008 9:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I wouldn't worry too much about it, since you have a new FL2 and the accessory was fitted, its covered by its 3 years warranty, if they do discolour get them to order you some more Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #24682 23rd Jul 2008 9:12 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Paul

Go back to your dealer and reject the sprayed mouldings. I also called mouldings up as a delaer fit option on my new car a month ago and the mouldings are a smart black, ok probably a very dark grey. They are even in colour

Chris Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #24719 24th Jul 2008 12:13 pm
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

cyberil,
The body side mouldings are stuck on with the famous glue; all along the top and bottom of each moulding. I think if you tried to remove them, they would only be fit for the waste bin.
I know it means losing the use of your vehicle for a couple of days but getting them sprayed the same colour as your vehicle may be a better looking option. Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #24783 25th Jul 2008 2:25 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I just got my FL2 a couple of days ago and the mouldings are a shiny black colour. I would go back to the dealer and ask them direct about them.
Very Happy

Post #24793 25th Jul 2008 7:02 pm
The Large One

some older stocks of LR002791 were a bit suspect when removed from the box
i'm going back quite a few months now though

Land Rover assured dealers it was just a production dust settling on the mouldings and when wiped clean before install they would be fine

Keep an eye on them and if they still seem discouloured after washing a few times head back to the dealer and request replacement with current stock from Land Rover

As said above...if fitted whilst PDI or within 1 month of reg the accessory will be covered by 3 year car warranty

Nick If i sell it for that i'll be out of business in a week..

Post #24899 29th Jul 2008 12:55 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine were also blotchy grey when fitted, but after the whole car was washed with shampoo, the side mouldings look fine. I think the black (dark grey) colour looks far better than having them sprayed the colour of the body and is much more practical for what they are intended. Can send a poto if it may help Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #25025 31st Jul 2008 9:28 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Mine tend to go a lighter gray which I'm not a fan of. I put some stp stuff on them and they go darker again but as you say, it doesn't last. I assumed they standard were factory fit - are they not? 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #25056 1st Aug 2008 2:50 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I assume you mean the door protection mouldings, not the lower door trims? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #25061 1st Aug 2008 3:39 pm
AndyC

So far my door protection mouldings have stayed the same colour as the lower door trims side mouldings - no colour change or fading to lighter grey colouring after several months of sun, rain and snow use. Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #25130 3rd Aug 2008 7:41 pm
Rory's Dad

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Black trim restorer/cleaner

While we are on the subject, what are people using to keep the black sills and bumpers nice and black. I had a whatcar review on these products but cannot find it. Obviously put it in a safe place! Rolling with laughter
The Simoniz stuff gets a good review on the web but does anyone have any recommendations?

Post #25585 13th Aug 2008 5:06 pm
AndyC

So far I haven’t had to use anything else than Turtle Wax Super Car wash (or whatever it is called in those blue bottles). Did wax the paintwork the other day, but the rubber bits seemed as good as new (no fading or white spots).
Mind you, I don’t spend much time keeping it new washed looking - it get too much use for that Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #25608 14th Aug 2008 6:39 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

You can't go wrong with the Autoglym bumper car for the black plastic trim
Thumbs Up

I spent £20 on some Black WOW and thats okay too, but came a little streaky when it rained Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25621 14th Aug 2008 9:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1