Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Are Tyre Compounds Different in Different Countries?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Are Tyre Compounds Different in Different Countries?

I have just bought a pair of Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Before doing so I thought to look up reviews of these tyres online and ended up on some USA sites where they were praised and slagged off in pretty equal measure. Those who were negative were often very critical of longevity ie only did 23000 miles before wearing to the canvass in the middle and other such things that begged questions about what pressure had been used!

What really caught my eye though was that these tyres are GUARANTEED for 55000 miles in USA! Now I reckon that Michelin generally give good mileage if looked after but I cannot believe that the tyres we are sold in UK would ever even be considered as so good they could be guaranteed for 55000 miles.

So, I guess I would really like to know if a) the tyre compounds are different and if so why and why can't we have that compound in UK or if b) the guarantee is a crock that is able to be used in USA because they don't have an equivalent to our Trades Description Act.

Any one actually know the answer?

Post #256112 8th Mar 2015 11:17 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

There are different compounds for some very cold or hot countries but I would not know if that was the case in the USA!

Post #256114 8th Mar 2015 11:26 pm
ad210358

England 

I've also been told that the tyres on a new vehicle are of a different compound to the same tyre that is on sale to the public, the thinking being the harder compound on the new vehicle will wear longer, so when to renew, tyou think, the previous ones wore well, I'll buy the same again. Again, what I've been told. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #256120 9th Mar 2015 12:05 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Best I ever did was on an FL1 with Michelin Synchrones I sold the car at 85k miles and it still had the original rear tyres which were just about legal. The fronts lasted about 40k (and no it wasn't a 2 wheel drive). When I had company cars like Sierras and Granadas they would get about 60k out of a set just cruising up and down motorways. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #256136 9th Mar 2015 10:55 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Be very careful, compounds are specific for country of use.
One case I remember from work, I quoted a customer for Pirelli tyres to suit his Saphire 4x4 Cosworth, I was driving one myself at the time. I did not hear from him for a few weeks until he called asking for a 4 wheel geometry check as car was not handling well especially in wet. He had 4 new Pirelli tyres on car.
I drove car, did a few visual checks and checked alignments, all within tolerances. We discussed and he was to return when roads wet.
The car was atrocious to drive. Tyres were obviously the problem, he told me where he bought them and that they were much cheaper than my quote.
After some research , A) they were for South African market, very hard compound and B) "avec chambre" on sidewall indicated they were NOT TUBELESS. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #256154 9th Mar 2015 3:21 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

hells bells that's pretty impressive!

I'd also heard it said that new car tyres were different to what public could buy - I wonder if that's true, could be I guess.

No-one from States here who might have a view on compounds in USA compared to anywhere else?

Post #256155 9th Mar 2015 3:25 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I once had to buy 2 Contintental tyres for the back of old Frontera B (rear wheel drive until you engaged 4x4) so bought from a local fairly decent supplier as they were on ''special offer''

Noticed they were cracked on the sidewalls when I got them home so went back to garage who agreed it was not normal. They checked with their supplier who admitted they were South African imports hence why so cheap.

I had to pay for a new pair of proper tyres, while they garage sent the Conti's back to factory for investigation. 2months later I got my money refunded as they were sub standard and should never have been sold in this country.

Post #256156 9th Mar 2015 3:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1