« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > LAND ROVER'S FUTURE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
LAND ROVER'S FUTURE

Talking to some people in the trade over the past few weeks I have got the impression that unless something is done about rising fuel costs and unfair VED tax rises nobody is going to buy Discovery's,Range Rovers etc.This downturn in sales of big 4+4s might not affect some manufacturers too much because they all sell other types of vehicles.Land Rover is unique and does not have any small petrol or diesel cars to fall back on!Some dealers have actually said they think Land Rover will go to the wall pretty quickly. Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #25207 5th Aug 2008 11:07 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

But LR has excellent sales in other parts of the world so I expect LR to thrive while UK dealers dont At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #25209 5th Aug 2008 12:23 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

And also it already sells the FL2, which compared to the little Suzuki Jimmys etc. it might be big, and compared to the CRV it might not be as economical, but compared to virtually any other 4x4 of the same size or bigger, it is cheap to run, tax, fuel and insure. And a fantastic car Very Happy

Also, they are working hard on the CO2 emmisions, and if they can get there eTerrain and stop start systems working then they'll be doing even better.

If Fuel and tax etc. keeps rising then surely more emergency services will consider using the FL2 rather than the Disco/Defender.

Rich

Post #25211 5th Aug 2008 12:35 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Lucky for Land Rover they have a global market (including places where the tax burden on fuel and vehicles isn't so criminal), but I think working on sales stratergy, particuarly in the UK, at present must be a pretty difficult job. I think there will always be a market for a limited number of folks for who the cost of a gallon of fuel or price of their VED is less significant. But many of us will feel the pinch and change our buying stratergy.

In fuel alone I'm £100 per month worse off than a year ago, that's enough for me to say I've enjoyed the FL2, but there wont be another one. Actually there is compunding effect that to replace my car like for like would cost nearly £100 more, so the combined cost on another FL2 would be an additional cost of £200 per month, I cannot justify that, though we all have our own values we apply to this. Big Cry

I hope for LR's sake that although they may loose some from the FL2 to other brands; the FL2 could become a logical choice to replace the larger cars, I hope so for LR's sake.

Post #25216 5th Aug 2008 1:59 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

I think for the FL2 there may be some reduced sales, but for those who buy the more expensive models, well I don't understand the logic. The price of the large models are high enough that the increase in VED (~£250 pa) and fuel (~£700 pa based upon 10000 miles, 25mpg, 130pence now compared with 99pence before) is small compared with the cost of the vehicle in the first place. They should be more worried about cost of depreciation instead. The rich will keep on buying anyway. Phil

Post #25220 5th Aug 2008 2:28 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

phil_wkl wrote:
They should be more worried about cost of depreciation instead ..... and thats where the hit will be much greater, my car has seen a reduction in value of £2500 on a 30 month deal - that todays figures compared with when I got my car in Jan07, hence the increase in repayments for a new one - if this is for the 'economical' FL2 what will it be for the bigger cars?

The rich will keep on buying anyway .... I agree there will always be folks are not impacted by such things as fuel price, VED and high depreciation - but I wonder just how big that group of people is. They are also likely to be the folk with bigger mortgages, paying higher school fees, reduced investment income because the ar5e has dropped out of the FTSE etc... .

Post #25225 5th Aug 2008 3:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

phil_wkl wrote:
The rich will keep on buying anyway.

Though the "rich" over on RRSport have had a disccussion on whether they could afford to keep running a RRS if things keep going like they are and quiet a few said they would stick it out, mainly due to them been privledged enough to be able to or not giving into the goverments plans

but some also said they would look at cost cutting on the cars Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25227 5th Aug 2008 3:59 pm
squirrelz

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black

Even rich people don't like throwing money away - one of my colleagues has just bought a 2 year old FFRR Vogue SE Supercharged for £35k, was £75k brand new, that's £20k a year in depreciation Shocked

Post #25234 5th Aug 2008 6:36 pm
So Simple

avtur wrote:
phil_wkl wrote:

The rich will keep on buying anyway .... I agree there will always be folks are not impacted by such things as fuel price, VED and high depreciation - but I wonder just how big that group of people is. They are also likely to be the folk with bigger mortgages, paying higher school fees, reduced investment income because the ar5e has dropped out of the FTSE etc... .

Being 'fortunate' enough to work in the mortgage end of financial services, the 'rich' - thats people better off than most, (rather than 'super rich' who are probably immune to all this) are certainly feeling the pinch, even though they are in denial at the moment. I know of people who are shopping at Lidl and Aldi and taking their own M&S carrier bags and trying to keep up appearances in their peer group. The school fee's thing is an even bigger issue because they have jumped up so much over the past 2 years and there is nothing guaranteed to jepoardise your place on the 'dinner party circuit' than taking your offspring out of private school and sending them to the only local school with space remaining!

Sorry if I sound like a working class cynic but I'm old enough to remember the last recession and I'm gutted that people have cottoned on to the bargains 'my' Aldi.

For the last few tears most of these people have financed their lifestyle by spending their equity and remortgaging every two years and unfortunately that door has firmly slammed shut for the moment!

Still, I may be poor, shop at Aldi and have kids at state school but i do have a shiny FL2 to pick up the kids and shopping!

Post #25242 5th Aug 2008 7:33 pm
Freddy

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

In Ireland, it seems that Land Rover have soaked up the price increase on the FL2, in anticipation of the start-stop system being introduced & reducing the Co2 emissions. Thereby allowing the Freelander sit in a lower tax bracket.

But since we moved to road tax & VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) being calculated on emissions, rather than engine size since July 1st, there has been a serious hike in prices.

For example, the price of a new RRS has gone up by somewhere in the region of seven or eight grand & a FFR going up by around twelve grand Shocked

With the annual road tax on a RRS rising from Eur 1,147.00 pre July 1st to a whopping two grand a year for Sports registered after July 1st Shocked

So I reckon that sales of new Land Rover’s are going to be dead in the water here, for a very long time. The worrying thing is that LR only build 4x4’s, whereas all the competitors such as Audi, BMW, MB have other vehicles in their line up & are not solely depending on 4x4 sales.

Worrying times for sure Sad “You feel uneasy, as the mad scientist locks the door behind you & dissolves the key in a vat of Acid”

Post #25243 5th Aug 2008 7:55 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I think many people generally overreact to certain issues, and fuel price seems to be a major one (especially in the US). As can be seen now the cost of oil is now dropping, and the reality is that if you really can't afford the recent increases in fuel prices then maybe you were pushing your budget just that little too far in the first place (Situation dependent of course).

Us Brits put a lot of focus on our cars and quite often overstretch ourselves, and the average debt in the UK gives a good example of this, which is completely different to Holland where the majority live well within their means I found.

.....just my opinion Whistle

I think as a company focused on 4x4's LR will has a good future ahead. I think it more likely that other brands that have 4x4's in their line up may go the "Ford" route and focus on the non-4x4 models and drop some of the 4x4 models in the future allowing LR to keep production numbers stable, rather than increasing or decreasing.

The above I think is certainly true if they continue along the path of more fuel efficient vehicles that they are promising.

The increase in fuel prices is not new yet you have BMW releasing the X6, MB introducing a new 4x4 and a number of other 4x4 developments so the market appears to be there even now with the current economic climate.

The other part in all of this that whilst the US and the UK are seeing downturns in the 4x4 markets there are massive emerging markets (Russia, China, Middle East along with many smaller ones as well) which are buying huge amounts of 4x4's and luxury vehicles.........which will continue for the foreseeable future.

I don't really have the right to an opinion on this as I pay no road tax (except toll roads) and penuts for fuel for my cars Sheep Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #25255 6th Aug 2008 7:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1