Home > General > Exhaust Gas getting inside car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

HappyNomad wrote:
Quick update...

Pollen filter is absolutely filthy - barely a trace of the 'as new' white colour so I will replace that. Who ever designed the housing & position for that filter must absolutely hate FR2 drivers. Laughing

Jubilee clip by the organ pipes is sound.

Engine cover off and tick over until warm. No 4 injector area (gearbox) end soaked in diesel plus I could see bubbles fizzing away where the injector is fitted. No discernible leaks in any of the tubes around the injectors though. As the engine warmed the fumes started so I guess that is it.

I didn't get right under the car but couldn't see any 'smoke' blowing out of anywhere other than the tail pipe so I will get it in to the dealers for the injector leak repair. Big Cry

I can't remember which injector leaked and was repaired under warranty but it was less than two years ago so I will mention that - should get me nowhere Crying or Very sad

Thanks for the pointers everybody.

Glad you have found it (just got mine back, fixed under warranty) the Common rail system operates at silly pressures and can be in excess of 16 Bar. So any weakness in the fuel system on the high pressure side will soon be evident pretty quickly.

Ian

Post #248339 9th Jan 2015 8:23 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Pleased you found the fault. Thumbs Up The injector you identified is No1 by the way. The engine is mounted the wrong way round apparently Shocked 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #248351 9th Jan 2015 9:10 pm
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Had this from my SD4 yesterday. Couldn't stay in car it was too bad and when I pulled over, the fumes were visible in the headlamp beams. Started to happen once engine had warmed up.
Called Land Rover Assistance (got an AA patrol who was very thorough esp considering the damp and dark conditions) and what he found was soot around pipe attached to turbo (sorry, don't know which pipe) and suspects it's from a leak of exhaust gas from there unless it's a manifold issue he couldn't see from laying on the ground!
Taken in to dealers today to be worked on next week whilst I drive a Jag around as a loan car!
Is this a known problem? I couldn't find it in searching the forum for exhaust fume problems. Posting it as maybe it'll help others? 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #248382 9th Jan 2015 11:45 pm
outnabout2005

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black

I have a similar smell inside the FL2 at startup and occasionally at other times. Thanks for the heads up and I'll be having a look later this week at the injectors. I have also today had a split turbo to throttle hose replaced, so will see if that might have also caused the smell inside.

Shocked

Post #250697 27th Jan 2015 6:35 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Mine is into our local main dealer this week to have the fumes issue sorted and a new throttle body fitted. I believe the fumes are from a leaking injector but we'll see what they say / fix.

Post #250760 28th Jan 2015 1:46 am
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

Occasionally I expierence the same: strong exhaust gas smell under dense traffic conditions. Strangely, it seems to occur mostly in wet / rainy weather.. My only fix then is to push the air-recirculation button. I own a MY 2009.

Post #250779 28th Jan 2015 11:25 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Car should have been in today for injector leak and new throttle body but the dealership has had to defer us for a while so still no fix.

With that in mind I bought a Haynes Owners Workshop Manual today with a view to doing the throttle body myself. I wish I hadn't as needless to say, throttle bodies are not mentioned. That was a waste of £17 Banging Head

Given that it is a £100(ish) part (probably quite a bit less to the dealer) and I expect the the bill inc labour will be at least three or four times that, how difficult is it as a DIY job?

Post #250943 29th Jan 2015 6:12 pm
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Update: mine down to failure of turbo which was leaking gases through its body (assume seals failed?). Replaced under warranty, phew! 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #250973 29th Jan 2015 9:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12