Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > RIP Sam - Oct 2003 - Jan 2015
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

^ I remember that well and it gets me everytime. Thanks to all for the kind words LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #250527 26th Jan 2015 5:49 pm
Dave007

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Doctor and all, good evening,

Not been on the forum for some time now for various reasons but frantically trying to catch up with everything.

Reading your post Doc I just had to reply. One of the first ones I see after a long time and I read of your terribly unfortunate news. I totally understand your loss as I am about to go through the same thing. You may remember last year we had a kind of "show and tell" for our pooches - mine was Ruby:

Well since Christmas she has been quite poorly, lost 10 Kg in weight from her usual slender 50 Kg, Had all the blood tests, scans, injections etc but not getting any better. Shes got another appointment next Monday, if there's no improvement or weight gain then the inevitable has to happen - absolutely gutted.

Makes it worse that I'm back at work so wont be home for a few months so my wife has had to deal with all this, not really a dog person till she fell in love with Ruby. I knew deep down when I left to come back to work the other week that it would be the last time I saw Ruby - that was real tough I can tell you. Watching her usual sad face expression as I got in the car seemed even sadder that day for both of us.

I was sent Rainbow Bridge by my wife the other day, that was an extremely tough read under the circumstances.

Sincere apologies for hi-jacking your post Doc, I've said my piece on this, feels like kind of a release in a way. Complete and utter empathy for you and your family.

Thanks Doc and all for taking the time to read my bit

Kindest regards - Dave[/img] MY2010 TD4 HSE Santorini Black, 19" Alloys, Almond Leather, Lux Pack, Rear Spoiler, Adaptive Xenons

Last edited by Dave007 on 27th Jan 2015 11:30 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #250531 26th Jan 2015 6:23 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Sad news there Dave and thanks for your kind words. I extend my empathy to you and your family.

My supervisor very kindly let me book last minute annual leave for today and tomorrow. I would be no good at work as my head would just have been all over the place. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #250534 26th Jan 2015 6:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Rainbow Bridge is a rather nice verse for those that have lost a pet, quite thought provoking in a emotional way Smile

It's nice of your boss to let you have emergency leave, a old boss of mine had its just a dog view and his face was a picture when he said I couldnt have time off after a family pet of 14 years was to be put to sleep and I just put my coat on and walked out for 3 hours to say my goodbyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #250535 26th Jan 2015 6:35 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Good on you for doing that Thumbs Up

I get choked up just thinking of Sam this morning. Greeting me in the lounge with his tail wagging and then he even wanted to walk towards the vet to say hello when she walked in. I miss him so much but I am pleased he isn't suffering anymore and I take comfort from the rainbow bridge. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #250551 26th Jan 2015 8:21 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Really sorry to hear your news Doc. My labrador is also coming to the end of his life so your situation is even more poignant. I am not sure non-dog owners will understand our feelings. Those of us that are fortunate enough to experience the bond that forms between an owner and their dog most certainly do. I just hope when it comes to my turn to make the difficult decision I share your fortitude.

Post #250559 26th Jan 2015 8:59 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thanks. One thing I can say is that the knowledge you are helping your dog by stopping them from suffering, only helps once the dog has gone to sleep. It then becomes a relief and a weight off your shoulders. Going through it is so so harrowing.

I didn't want to go through it but waiting on the edge of it, knowing it could not be avoided, was even worse. I've had headache every day since Friday and been on painkillers everyday. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #250563 26th Jan 2015 9:12 pm
stooby

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Rimini Red

So sorry for your loss doc. A lovely looking doggie

Stuart

Post #250566 26th Jan 2015 10:00 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Labradorslave wrote:
I am not sure non-dog owners will understand our feelings.

After holding one of our cats who'd been with us for 19 years as she passed away I can assure you I know what doc is going through and my thoughts are with him. Dog people, cat people, or whatever pet we choose, we all miss the characters that have shared their lives with us.

Post #250585 26th Jan 2015 11:46 pm
EYorkshire

Sorry to hear that Doc, like yourself I have been through it too many times. The thing is I can't live without a dog and when my last one had to be put asleep the house was empty, no more walks, no more play and I had to take time out from work.
Within a few weeks I was visiting our local dog rehoming kennels on a daily basis, not to get one but to be near them to give some human contact and in return they helped me grieve, then one day I saw Cassie and was smitten, the rest is history.
Chin up me old mate Thumbs Up

Post #250589 27th Jan 2015 12:11 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

I too have been in that sad situation so many times having owned 3/4 Afghan hounds at any one time since 1972 until recently when we now just have a border terrier. The loss of a pet is so personal it is unbelieavable. Yes others who have had to go through the same agony can understand, but not feel the same as the owner does.

All one can say is try and remember the good times and giving the dog the life it deserved Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #250591 27th Jan 2015 12:37 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thanks. There are so many happy memories and so much time and events have passed during his life. I was 19 coming up to 20 when we fetched him all the way from Exeter and here I am at 30 coming up to 31 and I feel privileged to have had Sam in my life.

So much joy, so much fun, so much mischief. I wouldn't change a single moment of that. My closest friend, my greatest ally, my constant companion, my Sammy. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #250593 27th Jan 2015 12:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12