Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > OIL SERVICE VISIT DEALER - FAULT MESSAGE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
ad210358

England 

The Oil Service Due on mine only ever came on once, that was around a week after the actual service as it was one of the first ones in the UK which had the DPF fitted and the dealer at the time didn't know about the second service indicator needed resetting, second service they reset it at the service so it never came on.

Post #223614 1st May 2014 3:59 am
Manuel

Spain 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Manual Alaska White

Past Master-- (I thought I had followed your instructions, and had answered...)
I'll try again.

I use premium fuel. I even had it analysed to make sure it was top quality.
It seems the problem is due to my short trips, however I drive an average of 1,200 kms, because I usually drive on the road as well.
It seems the DPF in my vehicle fails the automatic regenerations and uses more diesel which ends up degenerating the oil, and that makes the vehicle demand the change of oil every five months (6,000 kms).

I feel it is not my fault as the dealer never mentioned the conditions to drive the vehicle (for more than 20 minutes, over a certain speed,... etc), and never told me about the possibility of having to change the oil so often.

LAND ROVER does not admit their responsibility and they are making my owing and driving a Freelander a horrible unhappy experience.

Moreover, they have ignored me and refuse to give me the explanation that I have found in the different posts. They are even afraid to mention the problem in their answers and only repeat "your vehicle is in perfect conditions".

They do not respond to the LAND ROVER guarantee. I feel they are crooks. They do not want to face the obvious fact that their DPF system does not function for all drivers, who have the right to be informed before buying the vehicle.

Crying or Very sad

Post #224454 11th May 2014 1:32 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Manuel - the DPF system is used by most manufacturers, so your problem would not necessarily be any different on another car. If you feel there is a problem with communication you could try taking it up with Mike at LR Customer Relations. There is a separate section of this site specifically for that http://www.freel2.com/forum/land-rover-cus...-vf31.html Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #224485 11th May 2014 10:45 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Resurrecting this one. I had my MY11 TD4 serviced a couple of weeks ago by an indie and today the oil service required visit dealer message came up. I called the indie who said he had reset the service interval (which technically wasn't due until next month). He will pop back down when he can and reset again, although from reading this I'm guessing he wasn't aware of the second warning message.

Seeing as this is quite an old thread, does anyone know for certain that this is simply a timed warning and not a symptom of a problem? The oil was only changed 2 weeks ago and my driving has been no different than normal.

I don't want to drive around with the message if it risks breaking something but at the same.time I don't want to take it to main dealer if all it needs is a reset which indie will do later on.

Thabks

Post #242428 26th Nov 2014 1:51 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I bought a 2011 Freelander from a main dealer and it had been serviced by them at 37k miles. When I got to 40k that same message came up. I called them and they said they could clear it however, I took the car into the dealership for some other work twice and mentioned it but the message was never cleared. It only went when the car was next serviced by them recently at 53k miles. I would be interested to learn if the indie can clear it. On earlier models I think you could do it yourself but I wonder if it now requires a facility only available to dealers.

Post #242430 26th Nov 2014 1:59 pm
BarryKey

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Mine had its second service last year and the only time the indicator showed was about 2 weeks before service was due. Indie reset it and it has just appeared again, two weeks before service due. Service done at Indie again on Tuesday, MOT passed no issues. Service indicators reset so don't expect to see it again till next year. I do a mix of short and long journeys, at least one of 30 miles per week. Also gets about 200 miles of motorway every couple of months. Only use premium diesel, VPower, Ultimate or regular + Millers. 35 MPG over 2 years. Very pleased all round, still smile when I get in. 12MY 61plate FL2 TD4 auto GS Orkney Grey Roof spoiler full size spare

Gone 07 Dodge Caliber 1.8 black
51 Nissan Primera
K Isuzu Trooper 3.1 SWB Citation

Post #242619 27th Nov 2014 8:35 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

If this is DPF related does anyone know when they started fitting them and is there an easy way to find if you have one?

Post #242624 27th Nov 2014 8:41 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

DPF became standard in UK from 2011MY. If you've got a 150bhp TD4 or 190bhp SD4 engine it will have DPF. If you have a 160bhp TD4 engine it is unlikely to have DPF unless specced as an option.

Post #242666 27th Nov 2014 10:27 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

SteveNorman wrote:
"OIL SERVICE REQUIRED VISIT DEALER 'SERVICE' displayed in odometer Advisory message informing driver that a diesel particulate filter regeneration cycle has caused the engine oil to become diluted.

Depending on driving style, some vehicles may require an oil service before the designated interval. If an service message is displayed, the vehicle will be required have a full service and the service interval counter will be reset."

So, the normal service countdown indicator shows your normal service interval, i.e 200 miles, or -2 days etc. If you get the extra OIL SERVICE REQUIRED VISIT DEALER 'SERVICE' , it's because the DPF system has diluted the engine oil, & the vehicle needs to be serviced before the set interval.

As for the message coming on just after a service, that's because although they reset the normal service indicator, they didn't reset the oil counter setting, which is an additional procedure on SDD test equipment.

DPF's inject diesel after the normal injection time, to add neat diesel into the cat, to heat it up, so it can regenerate the DPF, this cycle takes approx 20mins, if it is not completed fully, it tries again the next time & so on, this eventuall causes an amount of diesel to enter the sump. So on cars that don't do longer runs very often (over 30mph for over 20mins) approx every 450 miles, the 'oil service due indicator comes on, usually about a month or so before the 'proper fixed interval'.

HTH
Steve

A lot of aftermarket equipment will reset the service indicator, but not the oil counter, which then displays (as listed above). On SDD you have to do both operations separately (on, for example a Disco 4, when you do the service reset routine it automatically resets the oil counter first!). I assume it's just an oversight on the SDD, but all is ok if you carry out both routines.
If you have had the oil changed, then the dilution has be drained, so ok to drive, but the counter will out of sync to measure the dilution on your current oil.

My suggestion is whoever serviced the vehicle, as they haven't followed the correct reset procedure, if some distance has been covered since the service, to get things back in sync, they should change the oil & reset the oil counter to reset the message & be back in sync.

HTH

regards
Steve

Post #242965 30th Nov 2014 12:24 pm
Chuckalicious

Just had my indie try and reset the oil warning but it isn't going anywhere. I think he was using some GAP app so he is speaking to them to see if there is a fix in case its a fault with the kit rather than the car. Bloomin hope it is!

Post #243270 2nd Dec 2014 1:19 pm
ad210358

England 

Stand to be corrected but if he is using the Gap app, the Gap iiD doesn't support the Freelander 2 yet, it has just entered testing stage, so unless your Indy is testing it?

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic20773.html?

Post #243275 2nd Dec 2014 2:04 pm
Chuckalicious

He did mention beta testing, hence going back to them for a fix. Hopefully it is quick and simple.

Post #243277 2nd Dec 2014 2:17 pm
Bluestone-Wanderer

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

I've not used one but there is a new tool available for Landrovers.

http://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/icarsoft-...328-p.html Green Discovery 300tdi Modified,
Green td5 ES Premium "Esme"
Freelander 2 "Phoebe"
Blue Range Rover P38 "Saffi"
West Wales LSR Discovery Owners Club

Post #244529 11th Dec 2014 1:26 pm
Chuckalicious

Just for completeness, Mike came back after getting an update to the app and it correctly reset the oil service interval.

Post #245506 18th Dec 2014 9:31 pm
toplink

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Rimini Red

The Britpart diagnostic system will clear both service messages and a lot quicker to use than SDD.

Post #245654 20th Dec 2014 10:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>