Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Fitted the winters!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Fitted the winters!

December 2014

I picked up my 19's on Sunday fitted with the new Nokian full Winter tyres. Although they are winter wheels, one had a kerb mark on one of the rims, so had to get it sorted before fitting them.

So just got to see how they perform during the winter!

Going to get the 20's re-ferb'd now in hi-power silver to match the side vents and front grill. Hopefully I'll get the side steps done in the same colour.

I then figured, I may as well give her a clean!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Last edited by Mav71 on 2nd Dec 2014 10:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #243315 2nd Dec 2014 7:18 pm
ronp

Scotland 

Well that was a stroke of luck wasn't it?
No sooner do you fit the winter wheels & tyres then you get snow ........foam. Laughing

Those wheels really suit your FL2 Thumbs Up FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #243318 2nd Dec 2014 7:30 pm
Mav71

I know, how bizarre! lol

I agree about the wheels! They suit it better than I thought they would!

Depending on how it drives, I could get another set with summers on! Now I have the winters, I don't have to worry about all season tyres, the 20's I have are full summer tyres which work well. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #243320 2nd Dec 2014 7:37 pm
Mav71

I have now done about 250 miles since fitting the wheels and tyres and I must say what a difference over summer and all season tyres.

There is a long by pass near me with several islands. On these cold damp and greasy roads, the AS and summer tyres would start to under steer if pushed.

However, with the Nokian full winters it is like driving almost on dry roads! The over all corner grip is just incredible compared to AS and summer.

The grip under hard braking is also incredible! I just wish I had done this years ago! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #243853 6th Dec 2014 10:31 pm
taztastic

England 

I agree

The braking performance on wet greasy roads is staggering Shocked

Post #243855 6th Dec 2014 10:35 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Second winter with mine (Fitted today) the thing that also impressed me was how quiet they are. Just need to some snow now Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #243871 6th Dec 2014 11:33 pm
taztastic

England 

Snow forecast here tomorrow above 250m, I'm at 300 so fingers crossed, might have a day out in lakes in the next couple of weeks if the mountains get snow.

Post #243876 6th Dec 2014 11:58 pm
j77

Scotland 

I personally favour those alloys on the freely. Not that I'm biased.

My ones were the 13MY silver sparkle

21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #243883 7th Dec 2014 12:49 am
Mav71

I didn't realise that these wheels were available in Sparkle Silver as well.

Mine are the diamond cut versions, but may get them done gloss black or high power silver for next Winter! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #243886 7th Dec 2014 1:21 am
alex_pescaru

Sorry to barge in, but on my country there are laws against spreading on public domain of detergents/pollutants (no matter their type) that will end up in the water collection system.
You don't have such laws?

Post #243895 7th Dec 2014 9:38 am
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

No, not in England with domestic properties. Would be different for commercial, but even then this is only picked up through our planning process, so for new or change of use. If the system is already there then the authority will not change the drainage system unless someone is doing something bad enough and then they may just prevent that person/business from doing that activity and fine them. Pretty lapse over here, but doesn't stop us complaining how hard done by we are! Laughing

Post #243896 7th Dec 2014 9:53 am
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Why Nokian and not Vredstein that seem to be the most popular? * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #243902 7th Dec 2014 10:32 am
taztastic

England 

I think if you had a straw poll then Vredstein would be the most popular fitments amongst the members.
I went with Nokian, along with others based on the new tyre rating system which gives the Nokian tyre a better wet weather performance rating, I also had excellent feedback from a couple of members for the Nokian tyre.
I tried buying some Vredstein tyres last year but was given stupid prices for them so stuck with the Pirelli Scorpion tyres I had on that car, superb as they were and they got me through the winter without a hitch, as it happened last year was rather wet and they had little to do.

This year I opted for the Nokian WR SUV3 tyre, excellent price delivered from Oponeo, fitted them to a set of Evoque rims I bought off Fleabay and fitted them a couple of weeks ago.
They are quieter and smoother, more to do with the bigger side wall I suspect, these are 18" as opposed to the 192 summer tyre I have. There are a couple of roads I know very well and know then limits (my limits) of the bends, the Nokian I haven't managed to faze at all, they simply grip, this was on a wet/greasy salted road with visible frost on the verges, very impressed indeed and more importantly, the stopping grip is astonishing, you feel like you have something attached with a rope pulling back on you.

Going onto Alex and the snow foam issue, the amount of detergent used is actually very little, less than the amount you would put in a washing machine, the equipment creates a foam that looks like it is a problem. That said, it should not be allowed into a watercourse or the rainwater drainage system, currently many water companies don't seem to clamp down ...... yet.

Post #243917 7th Dec 2014 12:34 pm
Mav71

DrRpb wrote:
Why Nokian and not Vredstein that seem to be the most popular?

Most people haven't heard of Nokian, but they are the top end premium winter tyre. Nokian actually invented winter tyres.

As Taz has said, the wet weather performance of Nokian's over Vredstein is massive. Band C compared to Band E for the Vredsteins.

A friend has just fitted Nokian SUV3's like mine to his Range Rover Sport to replace his Vredstein winters and he can't believe how much better the Nokians are. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #243933 7th Dec 2014 2:10 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi Taz, are yours 225/55 r18? Would there be much difference in ride, grip, noise, etc over the 17s? I am looking for some winter tyres and wheels, so will be looking at overall cost difference as there is about £100 between the 18 vs 17 tyres not checked out wheels yet. Thanks. Rich.

Post #243941 7th Dec 2014 3:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>