« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Range function
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
fletch5535

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Range function

How accurate/useful is the "range" function on the FL2?

What's the lowest you've ever been down to?

If you've ever run dry, did it say zero?

We were on holiday in Skye when the Scottish garages were mostly out of fuel (esp. Diesel) to to the strike at Grangemouth refinery, so I was using it with heightened interest, by which I mean I was filling up at every opportunity. (It even got down into the low 200s once or twice!).

Post #24128 11th Jul 2008 9:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Got done to '0' once and been down to 2 or 3 mile left on a few occassions

I wouldn't recommend running out, one member on here did and he had to be taken to the dealer as LR Assist could pump the diesel back into the engine Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #24130 11th Jul 2008 9:11 pm
edh

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Hunters of Guildford were kind enough to not provide enough fuel for me to get home after picking my new car up! Evil or Very Mad Only 9 miles home, but before I noticed how little there was the range showed 1 mile on the flat as I pulled into the petrol station. For some reason the sat nav didn't warn me as it has done since. 08 Santorini Black HSE manual with DAB and privacy glass

Post #24131 11th Jul 2008 9:18 pm
fletch5535

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The sat nav usually warns at 50 miles, so it had probably warned the dealer while he was out with a customer on a test drive.

Post #24132 11th Jul 2008 9:30 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

My fuel light comes on when there is approx 50 miles worth left in the tank, also get a "beep" audible warning too.

Also doesn't the FL2 go in to limp mode when the fuel level gets too low and then the engine cuts out before the tank runs dry Question

Post #24133 11th Jul 2008 9:53 pm
highbridgeflyer

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

Dave wrote:
My fuel light comes on when there is approx 50 miles worth left in the tank, also get a "beep" audible warning too.

Also doesn't the FL2 go in to limp mode when the fuel level gets too low and then the engine cuts out before the tank runs dry Question

Correct. There is allways a sump of fuel left in the tank, so in theory no 'bleeding' the system required Thumbs Up

Post #24147 12th Jul 2008 9:55 am
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
yep

Yep, like NPinks I've done a 0 miles range reading too, quite unintentionally.

Thing is, the range feature seems reasonably accurate over longer distances, but seems to get rather silly when you get low on fuel. So as I went to my lowest priced fuel station which is about 6 miles away from home, the range reading was 11 miles. After about 4.5 miles it read zero! Panic ..... go directly to Tescos, do not pass Go, do not pickup 200 pounds etc!!!! Razz
 Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #24279 14th Jul 2008 10:20 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

The range cannot be hard and fast calculation it changes with driving conditions. My experience is that you can 'eek' the range. So if you're in a position to cruise very economically then the range wont decrease at the same rate as if you were giving some 'wellie' around town.

I've just arrived home from a 360 mile trip today, just before I turned the engine off I saw the range was showing 330 miles (potentially a 690 mile tank!) but todays journey was steady motorway. I have another trip tomorrow around 250 miles. I know from experience that when I start up in the morning the range will probably drop to around 250 (cold engine and first few miles on local roads) but once I get back on the motorway and 'cruise' the range will pull back, you get to a point where for a while you appear to be making fuel, i.e. watching the range increase.

In my experience this variation in range continues right to the end of the tank. I think the lowest range I've seen on mine is about 12 miles and that was with some light footed driving, I'm sure there wasn't much left, fill up was 69 litres Shocked

Post #24282 15th Jul 2008 1:37 am
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mine went to "Zero" yeaterday and was on "limp mode" from about "2 miles Range". Its a bit scary on limp mode ... so it realy forces you to find some fuel PDQ! Thats twice I've done that! Not good for the heart. Although the first time it happened, I was playing "Diesel Roulette" i.e this petrol station? No... Lets go to the next one!

I've had weird things happen. I once drove nearly 50 miles and the fuel range went UP! It was something like 300 miles range at the START and 350 miles at the END Shocked Chris

Post #24284 15th Jul 2008 5:26 am
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

ttc546 wrote:

I've had weird things happen. I once drove nearly 50 miles and the fuel range went UP! It was something like 300 miles range at the START and 350 miles at the END Shocked

Happens all the time on mine - and the merc does it too. I can set off with 200 miles range, do 150 miles and still have 200 range left. As has been said, all down to the usage at the moment the sample is taken. I've also had it go the other way. Range 40 miles on the way back in Leeds and then get stuck on the M62 and watch the range fall away over the next 1/2 mile until its into single digits and still nowhere near the fuel station.
I've also driven an Audi showing 0 range for 5 miles (I was trading it in ). Coasted it down the hill into Guiseley. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #24314 15th Jul 2008 4:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1