« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Rear Bike Rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mrcraigcharlton

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Loire Blue
Rear Bike Rack

We have a 2014 FL2 Dynamic and I was wondering what is the best way to put a bike rack on the back and also what recommendations are out there? I understand adding a tow bar is an option and I guess the other is a more standard rack but does the spoiler not get in the way? Thanks for any advice.

Post #241323 16th Nov 2014 10:02 pm
ronp

Scotland 

I've got an old bike rack that I've been able to adapt to every car I've had over a good few years.
On the FL2 it's mounted on the rear screen on 4 rubber suckers with 2 straps hooking over the top of the tailgate (through the gap in the spoiler), and also secured by 2 straps (1 each side) hooked on the rear screen/frame.
Holds everything nice and secure.
However it's for one light mountain bike - wouldn't want to attach any more or anything heavier. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #241336 17th Nov 2014 12:01 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I have one I bought from halfords. Once set up for the FL2, it attaches to the top and bottom of the tailgate by two levers. Takes just seconds to fit and holds three bikes.

Post #241343 17th Nov 2014 4:33 am
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

If you cycle a lot then your best option is a tow ball mounted carrier. They are so easy to mount. I bought the atera strada after i saw lots of d3 owners using them at bike parks. It is light weight and strong, pivots out the way so you can access the boot, will take 3 or 4 bikes (kids and adults). To fit the forth bike you need an adapter bar. It fits in the boot if required or inbetween the seats. You can also bungie a large bag onto it if you need to carry luggage.

Mine is used every weekend for the last 3 years and i had to tighten one bolt so i can recommend this.

Post #241349 17th Nov 2014 8:41 am
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

I use a rack from Halfords which fits on the tailgate but what I always do is pull out the fuse to the rear wiper. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #241354 17th Nov 2014 9:04 am
english yeoman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Re: Rear Bike Rack

mrcraigcharlton wrote:
I guess the other is a more standard rack but does the spoiler not get in the way? Thanks for any advice.

I took 3 bikes to Normandy for the D-Day commermorations on the "standard rack". The Spoiler didn't have enough clearance for the strap clips through the 'hole' between it and the boot and I was def not going to go over the top as then the weight of 3 bikes would bounce my spoiler clear aff!

With about 10 seconds brain power and a 1 min job we removed the straps from the rack, clipped them on and then fed the strap end through the gap and back into the harness - easy job and takes seconds - might save you a fortune as bike racks are ten a penny on the old gummy tree...

Post #241388 17th Nov 2014 12:09 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

wurzel153 wrote:
pivots out the way so you can access the boot

This is why I opted for the Thule tow ball 2 (+1) carrier. It's pricey but gives good flexibility and I am more reassured by the fixing than using a strap based carrier.

Post #241401 17th Nov 2014 1:35 pm
mrcraigcharlton

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Loire Blue

Thanks all - great help as always.

I think I might try the Halfords route first (it's for bikes for two adults and one child) and if that doesn't work then heading down the tow bar route sounds the best (but I'm assuming a lot more expensive??? especially as I need to have a tow bar put on the car).

Could I ask what model of Halfords rack you have bought?

Post #241436 17th Nov 2014 4:27 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Anothe vote for a towball mounted rack. No straps. Nothing resting on glass or paint. Light bar and registration plate all fitted with the rack.

Post #241493 17th Nov 2014 10:37 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

+1 for a towball mounted rack - had a variety of types over the years but a rail for each bike and its wheels plus rear mounted lights and number plate make it so much better. Costs more, yes.

I have a Thule one from Halfords that carries 3. I think there is a 4 version one as well. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #241498 17th Nov 2014 11:39 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

hinchy wrote:
I use a rack from Halfords which fits on the tailgate but what I always do is pull out the fuse to the rear wiper.

I just flip my rear wiper blade off. Obviously I wouldn't use the rear wiper with the rack on but it will come on if I select reverse with the wipers on.

Post #241500 17th Nov 2014 11:46 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

mrcraigcharlton wrote:
Thanks all - great help as always.

I think I might try the Halfords route first (it's for bikes for two adults and one child) and if that doesn't work then heading down the tow bar route sounds the best (but I'm assuming a lot more expensive??? especially as I need to have a tow bar put on the car).

Could I ask what model of Halfords rack you have bought?

This one. Thumbs Up

http://www.halfords.com/car-seats-travel-e...7-_-banner

You can fit them as high as you want so that the numberplate is on view. ( I know that looks excessively high in the picture but it's got a lot to do with the angle of the camera)!

Post #241503 17th Nov 2014 11:50 pm
Kershaw 39

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Orkney Grey

I used to have a fl2 XS and had a Thule tow bar rack for4 bikes , it had a special plate that fitted in the tow bar ball , and only had to push on when needed. I then bought a dynamic and didn't want to cut the rear body kit for the old tow bar so let it go with the old car and bought a saris bones 3 , great bike rack design n fits really quick and at any angle . 2007 freelander 2 XS td4 Stornaway Grey .... GONE

Post #241508 18th Nov 2014 12:08 am
chapsworth

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Baltic Blue

I have a maxx raxx which will take 4 bikes - solid as a rock.
However I have also bought the atera strada which is a great piece of kit. Easy to get the bikes on and off and it slides out to get access to the boot.

I had a rear door mounted one on my golf and octavia. Never again!

Post #241513 18th Nov 2014 12:55 am
pjbnet

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

I agree with Chapsworth - I have the atera Strada from roofbox.co.uk ( they really recommend these over the thule ones ) and it is so easy to mount and feels rock solid on the towbar.

If I wasn't using that, then I would look at a Thule roof bar setup rather than off the tailgate but it is all down to personal preference I guess.

Post #241519 18th Nov 2014 9:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>