« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Upgraded DashCam, New Rear Dash \ Reverse Cam
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Upgraded DashCam, New Rear Dash \ Reverse Cam

I was basically given a BlackVue DR300G last year which I fitted to the FL2 with a Power Magic Pro and I was pretty happy with it considering the nil cost, but I decided to upgrade it to a recently released DR3500-FHD which records a far superior video.

This meant I could relegate the DR300 as a rear view camera, which would mean me having to feed the power wire down to the front of the car to hook into the Power Magic Pro, (I specifically need a single Power Magic Pro to control both cams) and that meant going through the headlining. If I was going to do that I thought I may as well fit the Reversing Camera I got for free when I purchased my GVIF Unit. It then occurred to me that the DR300 has an AV Out Connector (something which I think the later models past the DR380 don't have), so I could run a video cable from that down to the GVIF unit and it would also double as the Reversing cam as well.

Removed the B,C,D upper trim pillars, few ancillaries and dropped the headlining.

Click image to enlarge

I needed to pass the RCA cable and power cable through the tailgate wiring hoses, which looked a tight fit, but threading some wire through first, taping them to the cables and covering them in ACF50 to make the slippery and they pulled through quite easily.
Click image to enlarge

The power cable went off down the passenger side, down the A pillar to connect up near the fuse box to the Power Magic Pro Connector. The RCA cable went down the other side , down the drivers side B pillar to the GVIF unit under the drivers seat. That wasn't an easy route because you have to be careful not to foul the airbags which run the length of the roof ( I had no idea they did this, they must blow through the edges of the roof lining when they go off?)

Once that was done I needed to connect the GVIF units reverse trigger wire, which I intended to do by piggy backing on to the Passenger foot well Fuse 11 for the Reverse Mirror Dip, unfortunately that turned out to be live all the time so it was no good. That left me with an option I didn't really want to do, tapping into the same wire directly out of the Junction Box (the fuse box is part of this junction box). If you look at the top right of the Junction Box there is a small black plastic connector with about a dozen wires coming out of it. I pulled that, exposed some of the cable from the Green \ White cable and tapped into that.

And it actually all worked!
Click image to enlarge

The rear cam records to SD Card and when reverse is selected it simultaneously displays on the Front LCD screen
Click image to enlarge

Its not going to be as good as a 'proper' reverse cam because its higher up (I have angled it down a bit more since this picture) and it gets a bit of window reflection but its good enough.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #238657 22nd Oct 2014 9:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1