« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Delivery tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue
Delivery tyres

Over here the FL2 comes with Michelin 17' tyres and Pirelli Scorpion 18" tyres for the HSE.
Have seen that in the UK they come with Continental ?
Wondered if LR chooses different makes for different countries? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20779 23rd May 2008 2:52 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Don't think so, I've seen UK with Contis, goodyear wranglers and Michelins.

I have Contis, and a goodyear spare, work that one out

Rich

Post #20780 23rd May 2008 2:55 pm
Matei

rmbillington wrote:
Don't think so, I've seen UK with Contis, goodyear wranglers and Michelins.

I have Contis, and a goodyear spare, work that one out
Rich

Cannot. This really does not sense Confused FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20782 23rd May 2008 2:59 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Goodyear Wranglers on mine all round including the spare. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #20784 23rd May 2008 3:04 pm
muddywheels

England 

I think they just fit what they get best deal on at time of manufacture.

Post #20785 23rd May 2008 3:10 pm
Matei

Before deciding to get the FL2 I was acctualy considering a Jag Embarassed . Liked the looks of the X Type and even of the S Type. So dis some research and found out that that Continental was claiming that Jaguar has dedcided that their tyres were the best for the X type . Therefore I assumed that LR did the same research and came up with the best factory tyre.
In the LR handbook it says that when you replace the tyres you shoud try to get the same tyres. So if they just get what is available why should we keep the same tyres?
As the FL2 is off-road trained and focused I would have assumed that the FL2 selled in say Dubai has more sand capable tyres than the one sold in Canada or Rusia where the tyres should have more snow abilities.
This is pobably a problem related with the dealears as they order the specific cars.
For here the tyres semm to be in order with their mud and snow abilities. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20792 23rd May 2008 6:08 pm
muddywheels

England 

Matei wrote:
Before deciding to get the FL2 I was acctualy considering a Jag Embarassed . Liked the looks of the X Type and even of the S Type. So dis some research and found out that that Continental was claiming that Jaguar has dedcided that their tyres were the best for the X type . Therefore I assumed that LR did the same research and came up with the best factory tyre.
In the LR handbook it says that when you replace the tyres you shoud try to get the same tyres. So if they just get what is available why should we keep the same tyres?
As the FL2 is off-road trained and focused I would have assumed that the FL2 selled in say Dubai has more sand capable tyres than the one sold in Canada or Rusia where the tyres should have more snow abilities.
This is pobably a problem related with the dealears as they order the specific cars.
For here the tyres semm to be in order with their mud and snow abilities.

I had a Jag X Type Estate last time - after 3 LR's because I felt the Disco 3 was too expensive - and ugly at the back!

The Jag was terrible - lethal in snow/ice and had no suspension. Big Cry

I sold it after a year and accepted the depreciation to get a FL2 because it was that good Very Happy

I think the recommendation of getting the same tyre as existing is to ensure the tyres perform the same - i.e, if you replaced all 4 it would not matter as much, but 3 existing Good Year with 1 new Michelin may upset the grip, etc.

You have a point on tyres for different climate/terrain - would make sense but not sure if LR thought that through Confused

Post #20797 23rd May 2008 6:42 pm
rmbillington

Talking about tyres, is there anyone who runs any AT or MT tyres on their FL2 yet?

Any one got and views on this?

Rich

Post #20799 23rd May 2008 6:58 pm
Matei

Sorry what does AT and Mt tyres mean? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20800 23rd May 2008 7:23 pm
rmbillington

Sorry Matei, all terrain and mud terrain

I quite fancy having something more suited to offroading, but wouldn't be able to afford 2 set of wheels and tyres.

I'm worried that running all-terrain or mud-terrain tyres would mean it isn't as nice, or safe to drive on the road.

The only thing is that I'm not sure if anyone has put these tyres on an FL2 yet.

Rich

Post #20807 23rd May 2008 8:36 pm
muddywheels

England 

Changing to AT/MT could affect your insurance and warranty as well as handling on road.

I would check before doing anything like that unless you had 2 sets - i.e, 1 off road and 1 on Thumbs Up

I once had a FL1 "Camel" courtesy car with off road tyres and was lethal - nearly lost it on a roundabout Shocked

Post #20811 23rd May 2008 8:43 pm
mikello

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Nazca Sand

Matei wrote:

That would have been my assumption too. But it would have been wrong - my LR2 came with Continental CrossContact UHP summer tires. They are kind of all right in snow with all the electronics, but they are dangerous on ice.

Mikhail

Post #20928 26th May 2008 2:46 am
Rev

Canada 

This is an unfortunate choice for Canada. Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #20955 26th May 2008 2:18 pm
Matei

Rev wrote:
This is an unfortunate choice for Canada.

Maybe it is that LR is choosing the tyres that would yield an acceptable mpg as choosing high grip tyres for say Canada would probably cancell all possibilities to try and get the factory mpg. Not that this could be easily achieved.
As diesel gives a better mpg maybe this is the reason that here the tyres come with a bit af mud and snow qualities as to show some off-road abilities.
But then maybe the tyres are just choosen randomly by the computer after considering prices and availability. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20956 26th May 2008 3:17 pm
john

Canada 

Have you checked some of the threads where Viking expounds on winter tires
I think he has done some good research on winters Thumbs Up
The Continentals on my test vehicle were 6 ply rated which means that they won't be punctured by the first piece of blasted shot rock on the trail. Very Happy The tread wasn't at all aggressive and there where almost no cipes in the tread for winter driving. Rolling Eyes
However the tread depth was inadequate to last for very long off road in a working situation here. Rolling Eyes
I would carry 2 big cans or aerosol tire sealant for off roading here or trade the tires off immediately.
standard policy for any OEM tire

I had one Ford exploder shread 3 OEM tires in 3 weeks during the early 90's, Same for a GM product, and am now forever sceptical of OEM tires Big Cry

Landrover in Vancouver/Canada have s Censored d up by only offering the HSE version with rims which together with the minimal inside clearance to the shock/strut mount severly limit the options for AT tires

The vehicle is probably too light to mount a 6 ply off road tire on it without making it ride like one of chicken Georges tractors ( and the tire wear patterns would be a bit strange) Rolling with laughter 4x4's and skis

Post #23762 6th Jul 2008 7:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1