Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nland

Cyprus 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Hill Descent Control

Hello,

I used the HDC for first time and noticed few things :
1. When using HDC there is a discontinuous noise coming from somewhere underneath the car - probably gearbox.
2. When the HDC is selected this noise exist even when the car is moving at a horizontal surface or even when going up a hill.

Are these normal?
Thanks

Post #21491 3rd Jun 2008 12:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The HDC noise is the car rapidly putting the brakes on and off to slow the car.

It does do the same whilst on the flat too, for some reason i don't think it knows the difference between a hill and level ground Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21494 3rd Jun 2008 12:56 pm
jvvv

npinks wrote:

It does do the same whilst on the flat too, for some reason i don't think it knows the difference between a hill and level ground

Mine doesn't do any noise on the flat. Personally i think the speed of HDC is a bit to fast. Is there a way of having it go slower (i know you can get it faster with the CC control)

Post #21498 3rd Jun 2008 2:02 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

jvvv wrote:
npinks wrote:

It does do the same whilst on the flat too, for some reason i don't think it knows the difference between a hill and level ground

Mine doesn't do any noise on the flat. Personally i think the speed of HDC is a bit to fast. Is there a way of having it go slower (i know you can get it faster with the CC control)

Yes you can control it through Cruise Control. I think that one touch will vary the speed with 0.5 Km/hour or 0.3 miles/hour as oposed to the normal 2 Km/hour per press. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21502 3rd Jun 2008 3:00 pm
jvvv

Matei wrote:
jvvv wrote:
npinks wrote:

Yes you can control it through Cruise Control. I think that one touch will vary the speed with 0.5 Km/hour or 0.3 miles/hour as oposed to the normal 2 Km/hour per press.

And how slow can you get then? I don't really have any decent place to test it here.

Post #21539 3rd Jun 2008 10:25 pm
r055

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

i attempted it last week and near Sh*t myself!
maybe it wasnt the best place to try it though as it was a steep downhill slope leading onto a blind exit onto a road Shocked Confused

dont think it worked. Neutral 07 Fl2 GS
88 Galv chassis Landy 110 double cab

Post #21550 4th Jun 2008 12:26 am
CY

Scotland 

On a similar note...

If you are on a flat terrain like a road, stationary, and you hit the HDC button and take your feet off everything - does the vehicle increase its speed to the HDC set speed (say, 3mph) and start moving forward on its own accord?

I take it this would be the way to test HDC is working if on a (road-based) test drive? "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #21551 4th Jun 2008 12:30 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

r055 wrote:
i attempted it last week and near Sh*t myself!
maybe it wasnt the best place to try it though as it was a steep downhill slope leading onto a blind exit onto a road Shocked Confused

dont think it worked. Neutral

I tried it, just after I bought my FL2 on a not so steep downhill slope just to see how it works and it worked just fine. Just don't forget that on manual boxes it only works in the first gear so the speed you will get is low (guess this is the whole idea to make the car crawl).
Just try it on a normal downhill and see if it works. Best if there are no other cars behind you to get nervous that you go so slow. Thumbs Up FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21556 4th Jun 2008 6:38 am
RVG

Australia 

I tried the HDC when I bought the car. It works a treat. There was some chat on one of the forums about how steep the hill needed to be. It does not need to be super steep. On a bitumen driveway and on a steepish bitumen road the HDC worked very well.

I compared the HDC with first gear. The HDC was very much slower than first gear was.

My impression was that a low range is not needed and that electronics have satisfactorily superseded it for all but the most terrifying descents. Very Happy

Post #22411 17th Jun 2008 8:30 am
john

Canada 
DSC

I gave it a thorough work out last summer about 1.5 km in DSC continuous on 8 to 25% grades fortunately the temperature was only about 10 deg C. The manual says DSC can over heat and pack in so I expected to lose the DSC and have to stop the vehicle before it turned into an unguided missile. But it kept on functioning.

It was no where near as solid as having a low range and a 4.11:1 solid axle differential system but it got me where i wanted to go and back.

Has anyone tried any long hot descents from above 5000' to 1000' elevation (BC) or 11,000 to 8,000' (Colorado ) 30 to 40deg C to see if the DSC packs in.

Should be interesting to see what the premium gas spec does to the engine at high elev expect overly retarded ignition? 4x4's and skis

Post #23760 6th Jul 2008 6:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1