« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > 18 inch wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
zuegma

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
18 inch wheels

does anyone know if you can fit different width tyres to the 18 inch rim on the 2009 HSE wheel. I know the standard tyres are 235/60/18, but was just wondering if anything slighty wider can be fitted

Post #217772 23rd Feb 2014 8:37 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

We have had a few go with 255/55x18. But a bit tight for clearance. Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #217800 24th Feb 2014 8:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SOG

Germany 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Aintree Green

Would,nt a Wheel spacer help to overcome the clearance problem AJ? Audi,Merc,VW,Porsche,BMW and Opel.When it comes to going 4x4 they are all limited.(about 2 inches of snow or mud). Wink

Post #217804 24th Feb 2014 9:01 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

They fit but are very close. Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #217808 24th Feb 2014 9:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ITECH

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

Interesting, here's my few cents worth...

I fitted General Grabber AT2's 255/55/18 at 92,000km in August 2009, to replace whatever was fitted as standard. I've had my LR2 HSE since new (November 2007) and am now about to replace the tyres at 161,000 km (September 2014). I used to commute 460km each way once a week, so easily ran 1,000 km per week, including running around. Slowed down over the last three years, but still tour extensively, knowing that I can go absolutely anywhere (that doesn't require vehicle mods, obviously) but snow has only been slush or a few inches at the most and the AT2's are also excellent at gravel roads, which I seem to find a lot of...

I generally have all tyres at 40 PSI (minimises body roll and the suspension is soft enough to handle it) and if I'm travelling long distance through a major wet, I drop them to 36-38 PSI, to give them a bit more flex (aka grip), but bear in mind that in New Zealand, most roads are coarse chip, not smooth macadam. Not that it's happened, but the slightly lower pressures stop that 'will it flick or not?' feeling, perhaps by inducing a bit more body roll than the brain (mine) is programmed to. The higher pressures assist in flicking sharp rocky things out (I've only had one puncture and that was due to parking on a roofing nail). Mud and sand, I've dropped PSI to 18-20 with no traction problems (so far).

If I look hard, I can see where the inside of the tyres have rubbed on the suspension, but there is no paint worn through or scuffed tyres, so this could be due to me maintaining cruise control speeds of approx 100 km/hr (legal open road speed limit) for all corners rated 75 km/hr or above, so some tyre movement is expected. The vehicle will quite happily drive around 35 km/hr corners at 60 km/hr and 50 km/hr corners at 80 km/hr, not that I do often, but it can comfortably with passengers (Rumour has it that it can do so faster without pax.).

The increased tread on the road was immediately noticeable when I upgraded the tyres and made the already great handling, excellent. For comparison, I used to have a 2l Diesel BMW X3 before the LR2 and I compare the handling as a) BMW is short skis, flicking through moguls and b) LR2 is longer skis, carving through bends. The wider AT2's on the LR2 cut down on body roll and made a huge (in my opinion) performance increase over the original tyres, with the only caveat as I said above, my preferring to drop pressures slightly in (really) heavy rain on a long distance run and (as had been said by many people), they are AT tyres, not mud tyres. I emphasise the wet weather performance at 40 PSI as feeling slightly slippery (but it was probably OK) as the vehicle being what it is, it is immune to whatever weather conditions have been thrown at me over the last seven years.

Cheers, Kevin.

Post #234755 14th Sep 2014 3:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1