« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Bad audio quality when using PTI/Bluetooth
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
morrisgf

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Bad audio quality when using PTI/Bluetooth

The use of the PTI phone system in my FL2 is a real problem. The sound quality is so bad that the person on the other end does not understand what I'm saying. I can hear them talk, but they can't hear me. Most of the time, I'm phoning while driving on highways. Is there any explanation for this ? I have a SonyEricsson Z710 phone. According to the dealer, there is nothing he can do about it ! I've tried other phones as well (Nokia and Samsung) : still the same problem.

Post #22943 26th Jun 2008 9:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

i heard there was a update Q029 that corrected some bluetooth issues

My dealer says i have it already and still i don't think it perfect Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22945 26th Jun 2008 9:43 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I’ve always considered the Bluetooth system in my FL2 to be perfect for me, at least the acoustics is - answering and talking while driving. I’ve never heard any complaints about poor sound from the other end either. The only problem which is a bit annoying is when trying to find the person I want to call. The display is not good enough to find the person while driving and when several numbers are registered for the same person, it is not possible to see the difference on the display, which may be phone type related. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #22958 26th Jun 2008 11:18 am
freebo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I have exactly the same problem as the OP, although the "incoming" quality is fine I recently heard what its like for the other person (when the wife took the FL away for the weekend), at best just OK and at worst horrible, loud "roaring" noise in the background, sometimes even a screaching noise (the phone system not the wife, honest) Wink you can hardly hear the driver at all.

Its so bad I'm considering complaining to the dealer. Would be interested if others have it too, its absolutely Censored far, far worse than my £30 motorola BT in-ear headset and just nowhere near good enough in a £30k car.

Mike

Post #23028 26th Jun 2008 11:08 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Anyone know where the mic is for the PTI?. Just that Audi has had trouble with right hand drive cars having the mic on the left, swapping the mic to its correct side gives great improvements in the other callers noise level.
Mine works fine as long as Mrs G doesn't shout, she like many women always shouts down the phone, I dont know whether this is to annoy me or because she thinks it helps with the distance? She does seem to be louder if the call is international Laughing
If she talks to loud while using the pti it can cause a feedback echo. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #23031 27th Jun 2008 12:16 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

freebo wrote:
I have exactly the same problem as the OP, although the "incoming" quality is fine I recently heard what its like for the other person (when the wife took the FL away for the weekend), at best just OK and at worst horrible, loud "roaring" noise in the background, sometimes even a screaching noise (the phone system not the wife, honest) Wink you can hardly hear the driver at all.

Its so bad I'm considering complaining to the dealer. Would be interested if others have it too, its absolutely Censored far, far worse than my £30 motorola BT in-ear headset and just nowhere near good enough in a £30k car.

Mike

I guess there must be some error on your system (and some others maybe) Question . At least mine (although in Norway) does not have any of the roaring noises or in fact any background noise when using for lokal or internationl calls (to/from the UK) Thumbs Up . When I have talked to the wife in the car from home or the mobil the acoustics are perfectly fine Thumbs Up .
Could it be the telephone network that is at fault Question Either that or your FL2 system Question
Hope this helps in so much as that there are FL2 bluetooth systems that do work perfectly Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #23033 27th Jun 2008 6:47 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

in a old car the roaring noise was the blowers passing air over the mic, if the vents were pushed upwards instead of towards me the caller could hear a thing.

Might be worth checking the front vents as i thing the mic is in the roof panel near the interior light Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #23041 27th Jun 2008 8:25 am
gwhiting

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

I agree completely, and I've complained to the dealer. They installed a fix available from LR and it's no better. I'm convinced it the quality of microphone, and the first time we complained, they said "we'll replace the microphone", and then when they got the car in they replaced the stereo. It went back in and they refused to replace the microphone, saying it was all working as far as they were concerned.

I've also got the same problem with finding a contact and then choosing which number against that contact to phone.

Lastly, you can use the keypad on the stereo to find a contact, by pressing e.g. "3" once to get to the D's, the "2" once to get to names starting with "DA". However, my wife's name is Caroline, so I have to press "2" three times, followed by "2 once, which doesn't work (along with any other searches that require the same button twice). The dealer have said that's just how it is.... but I've got 500+ contacts in my phone and it takes ages to scroll through.

I have raised a complaint with trading standards as my phone is listed as full compatible and Land Rover's own compatibility list says you should be able to go through contacts and make calls... which is pretty difficult.

Unfortunately I just end up picking up the phone to find the contact and initiate the call to the required number - but hey, they can't hear me then anyway.

Graeme. Freelander 2 SE manual
Stornoway Grey
Alpaca

Post #23240 30th Jun 2008 3:55 pm
peteoheat

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I believe that the integration system in the FL2 supports voice dialling doesn't it? Assuming that your phone does also why not just setup voice commands for your frequently dialled numbers?

Post #23246 30th Jun 2008 5:19 pm
gwhiting

Ah, I haven't tried that... might do later.

But, then I can only have 9 x speed dials, and I need two for my wife and three for work, so that's 5 of the speed dials gone and there's another 532 contacts in my phone (each of which will have 1-4 numbers). Even if that were just 100 contacts, there's no hope!

The LR dealer's solution is to split all your contacts into individual entries, e.g. wife home, wife work, wife mobile... but that's not what Nokia designed for the phone and it also won't integrate with Microsoft Outlook.

As I understand it, the Nokia car kit (with display screen) supports drill-down into the contact to then select which number you require.

...and another thing.... Evil or Very Mad

How come the FL2 car kit disables the bluetooth/phone settings when you're driving along - my wife and I have both our phones paired with the kit, so who's to say that the passenger won't want to change the settings when the car's moving! (end of rant).

Without wanting to swear, the phone kit and navigation in my 3-series BMW (even with i-drive!) is so much better - although you can tell who owned LR when the FL2 was engineered, shame they weren't there to see it through to production...

Graeme. Freelander 2 SE manual
Stornoway Grey
Alpaca

Post #23250 30th Jun 2008 5:46 pm
chicken george

I put my most frequently dialled numbers at the top of my list by adding AA as a prefix, so a few down presses on the steering wheel button and they are right there. You could try this or find a new wife with a different name Laughing At work
At home

Post #23257 30th Jun 2008 6:40 pm
gwhiting

But what name would I pick, I guess I'll have to analyse my existing contacts and then choose a name that's unique, I guess it's going to have to start with Q or X !

Hey, that's going to cost me a packet, why don't I just change Caroline's name? Queeny, Xavia, Zelda... umm? Very Happy Freelander 2 SE manual
Stornoway Grey
Alpaca

Post #23319 1st Jul 2008 9:00 am
chicken george

Zelda sounds good Thumbs Up At work
At home

Post #23331 1st Jul 2008 10:08 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No problems with mine generally and only when teh airco is at full blast do people complain a bit, but then I can't hear them properly either!

The stereo allows you to press a the keys to select a letter and then use the dial to scroll down through the list, which works perfectly well for me. Thumbs Up

Am yet to find a handsfree that is flawless, but the PTI comes closest in it's easy connection and use...at this time. Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #23368 2nd Jul 2008 6:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1