« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Intermittent transmission errors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Waterhouse

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey
Intermittent transmission errors

I have a UK 2009 Freelander 2 manual with ~56k miles on the clock. Over the last 8 weeks I have seen transmission error / reduced traction warnings come up approximately 6 times. Apart from the error message, nothing appears to be wrong and I can't hear or feel any symptoms. The error normally lasts the day out but then clears itself the next day.

The only pattern I can see is that the error appears to come in clusters -- so I saw it twice about two days apart, then nothing for 3 weeks, then three times in the space of a week. Other than that, it appears to happen warm or cold and on long or short journeys. Since the last error, 9 days ago, I have done 1,000 motorway miles without problem.

My dealer plugged in the diagnostic computer and it came up with stored pump pressure errors in the Haldex. They tell me that the troubleshooting method is a) replace the Haldex pump, which will cure 90%, but if it doesn't go away then b) replace the controller. To me, this seems an expensive method of troubleshooting and not guaranteed to find the answer.

So, my questions...

1. Since the only symptom I am actually seeing is an error message (which temporarily disables terrain response), is there any harm in leaving it as an annoying niggle?

2. How can I be sure it's not something as simple as a faulty sensor or dry connection somewhere?

3. Is there a more certain way of knowing that we've found the fault other than waiting for it to recur or not?

Thanks for any advice.

Post #232881 27th Aug 2014 11:12 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
1. Since the only symptom I am actually seeing is an error message (which temporarily disables terrain response), is there any harm in leaving it as an annoying niggle?

Probably not, although there's no absolute guarantee that over time further damage won't be caused. Plus, of course, if you ever need the 4wd or terrain response you may find you don't have it and are stuck (perhaps literally) with 2wd.

Quote:
2. How can I be sure it's not something as simple as a faulty sensor or dry connection somewhere?

You can't. Intermittent faults are very difficult to track down - if something has failed completely it's usually obvious, but if everything is working while the garage has it all they can go on is the stored codes which give a clue as to the problem, but not usually the precise cause.

Quote:
3. Is there a more certain way of knowing that we've found the fault other than waiting for it to recur or not?

I suppose you could strip down and analyse any components which have been taken off the car, but in practice often not really.

Post #232885 27th Aug 2014 11:51 am
Waterhouse

Thanks for the answers. Are there any reasonably accessible connections that are worth cleaning up before I bite the bullet of £500+ for a pump replacement?

Post #232886 27th Aug 2014 12:56 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I don't know, sorry.

Post #232889 27th Aug 2014 2:02 pm
impact

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Fuji White

Change the haldex pump fuse from 15A to 5A as a preventive measure. This has been discussed on this forum. I can't recall the name of the topic but the theory is this; if the pump attempts to draw too much current you will first of all know about it as the fuse will go and secondly it will protect the logic board that is a lot more expensive than the pump. 5A is more than enough for that system. I've changed mine a few years back I think. Alex can probably shine some light on the matter no doubt. MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #232898 27th Aug 2014 4:43 pm
Waterhouse

Will change that fuse today. Thanks for the advise.

Post #232956 28th Aug 2014 11:28 am
ad210358

England 

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic19115.html?

Post #232986 28th Aug 2014 3:45 pm
Paul.W

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

As a matter of interest is it worth downgrading the Haldex fuse on a 2007 Freelander and if so what amp rating

Post #233079 29th Aug 2014 2:35 pm
landygeezer

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Traction Warning

I've been having the same problem now for some time and ended up changing garages in the hope of resolving it - the people at Green Oval near Leeds have been great and it looks as though the problem is the pump on the haldex which needs replacing. I've been quoted around £250 for the pump plus labour. If the message still persists after that then its the ecu controlling the haldex which is around £550 plus labour so I'm hoping its the former!!!!!
The fault comes and goes at will and then not appear for days so I know how frustrating it can be. When it happened today I drove straight into the garage and left the engine running whilst they stuck the diagnostic thingy on it. As this is the second time (after clearing off all the previous fault messages) I've done this they have managed to isolate the problem.
Hope this helps? Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE in Sumatra Black. 38,000 miles. Have put on 19" Evoque Style 4 Sparkle Silver wheels with 35 x 55 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. Added fog light surrounds, stainless tailgate protectors and high level spoiler. New leather seat covers and chrome door handle covers; Dipped trim with dark wood effect; Re trimmed steering wheel to match seats (black with red stitching); Updated rear light units: Black painted front grill and rear door handle/light unit.

Post #233135 29th Aug 2014 8:40 pm
ad210358

England 

Paul.W wrote:
As a matter of interest is it worth downgrading the Haldex fuse on a 2007 Freelander and if so what amp rating

Three posts above.

impact wrote:
Change the haldex pump fuse from 15A to 5A as a preventive measure. This has been discussed on this forum. I can't recall the name of the topic but the theory is this; if the pump attempts to draw too much current you will first of all know about it as the fuse will go and secondly it will protect the logic board that is a lot more expensive than the pump. 5A is more than enough for that system. I've changed mine a few years back I think. Alex can probably shine some light on the matter no doubt.

Post #233146 29th Aug 2014 9:46 pm
Paul.W

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Thank you for that however on the third last post in the link you kindly put up, a question was raised regarding whether the same lower rated 5amp fuse could be used for the earlier haldex unit as well as the later ones which as far as I can see was unanswered. If a 5amp fuse is deemed to be suitable for the earlier haldex unit then I will change it

Post #233160 30th Aug 2014 8:41 am
ad210358

England 

Why not, they use the same size fuse in all models from the factory, shouldn't make any difference, if 5amp blows then you know you have the start of problem, it won't hurt to put a lower rated fuse in, higher rated fuse is a no no.

Post #233163 30th Aug 2014 9:05 am
Sebba92

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi, check also the Haldex oil level. On low levels pressure sensor can send error message.

Post #233168 30th Aug 2014 10:27 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1