Home > General > Traditional off-road accessories
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
thedude

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey
Traditional off-road accessories

Hi all,

I have a FL2 and have previously owned several well equipped Defenders with the usual goodrich mud-terrains, safari racks and steel plastered all round. I don't need to do that kind of driving anymore or require the ability to haul large amounts of kit around. I do however find my FL2 to be a little naked when compared to my previous Defenders. What can you buy other than the usual Landrover OEM tat like plastic grills and plastic a-bars. Are there any decent accessories, underbody protection, decent capacity racks, bumbers/a-bars, winches etc for these vehicles?

Post #22692 22nd Jun 2008 1:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

as far as i have seen there is not much out there, but i haven't fully looked

Mantec do some under body protection for the fuel tank Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22693 22nd Jun 2008 2:35 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I've also looked around, and their isn't much yet.

I've found somewhere that'll do a 2" lift, and wheel spacers allowing you to fit disco3 wheels, giving you the option of MTR tyres.

Mantec do a sump guard, and tank guard.

I recon you could get All Terrain tyres for the 16" or 17" wheels, but as slightly different sizes to the standard tyres.

You can also get LR bits, like the lamp guards, side protection tubes and the front A bar style cover.

I haven't seen any good expedition roof racks, apart from standard ones that bolt to the roof bars, but then they'd be really tall. I rather like the G4 roofrack from the disco, or the safety devices one from the old freelander myself, with 4 spot lights on the front.

I guess we'll both be keeping a keen eye out on the Internet for more stuff being made.

Rich

Post #22698 22nd Jun 2008 5:34 pm
CY

Scotland 

You'll be able to get BFG AT KOs for it in 16 and 17 inch rim sizes. You should also be able to get the BFG Mud wheels in 15" diameter.

Mantec do underbody protection though I dont expect much else for a while. The biggest appearance of off-road kit should emerge when the G4 F2 is announced Cool "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #22712 22nd Jun 2008 10:04 pm
thedude

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Weird that there is so little available. I'm not a big fan of the 'official' G4 kit as you pay seriously over the odds and most of it tends to be Mantec (good but usually overly pricey). I'm used to bolting on lumps of steel from Bearmach! Smile

Post #23168 29th Jun 2008 1:56 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm guessing it'll be like the disco was, only slower, when the model is new there are less people who are willing to buy non-landrover approved bits, for fear of ruining their warranty, and as some cars start to go outside of that 3 years, more people want kit, so more is designed and made.

It really is the supply and demand. I bet if 15/20 FL2 owners went to a smaller offroad parts manufacturer, and said they wanted to fit a winch, fit proper recovery eyes or a lift kit, then they'd look into it, and if the finances worked they'd sort it, but I guess the Freelander always has been more of a risk for aftermarket manufacturers, as less people use them seriously offroad compared with it's bigger brothers.

I wish someone could find a way to have a low box on one. Something like the old overdrives on Series LRs, but an under-drive for the FL2, so we could use it slightly better off road, first on the manual is a little too high when the going gets tough.

While they're at it, an air suspension kit would be nice. I know that is getting a little too greedy, but I remember reading about someone who made an after market kit for the Defender, and for many years americans have made aftermarket kits for lowriding cars, I'm sure you could do the same, in reverse for the FL2.

Perhaps for my next car I should buy a Disco3, but I really like the FL2, prefer it's shape, and I think it's much nicer inside. When buying mine I thought about an older Disco3 as they weren't much different in price, but decided I liked the FL2 much more.

Rich

Post #23179 29th Jun 2008 5:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1