« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Sat nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
happy days

Switzerland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
Sat nav

Can anybody explain how the traffic messages work on the sat nav , i have never subscibed for this service. Question

Post #23054 27th Jun 2008 9:59 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I'm not sure if it different in your country, but in the UK Classic FM Radio broadcast traffic information, such as road works accidents and the like giving the location of the inncident for the satnav to display, and gives a delay time too.

So if the inncident is on your route the satnav will calculate the delay time to actual time and give you a option to divert around it. This can be set as manual or automatic.

The problem is that its only as good as the information Classic FM recieves to transmit, so there is so many time that you think shall i or shall i not divert around the inncident and not bother diverting only to find the road it totally clear anyway.

I take its warning with a pinch of salt and make my own mind up where its actually there or not.

It display a series of coloured stars on the satnav screen which you can put the crosshairs over and press a info button, then the screen says , accident, congestion etc etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #23055 27th Jun 2008 10:11 am
happy days

Switzerland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Thanks for the reply

I seems to work fine in Europe, Thumbs Up

Post #23056 27th Jun 2008 10:17 am
GWO

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

My Garmin has the traffic alert information and most times it tells me that there are delays but when I reach the area they seem to have gone, so I started to take less notice of them.

Driving to Stanstead to catch a flight, latest check-in time is 22.05. Driving down M11 at 20.45 approaching Duxford (last junction before Stanstead junction, about 20 miles to go). Garmin says that there is hold-ups ahead with a three hour delay! With my past experience and the overhead gantries showing nothing I choose to ignore it and carry on past Duxford (cannot now get off M11 until Stanstead). Round the next corner to see red lights as far as the eye can see, thumb steering wheel, curse, bang head against window. Garmin now says estimated arival time of 23.40 After 15 minutes of standing still notice tail lights in distance start to move. I do arrive at Stanstead and check in with about 10 minutes to spare. Moral: sometimes you have to trust the technology, this time I was lucky but missing a flight can be expensive in time and cash.

Post #23123 27th Jun 2008 11:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1