« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Disco 1 or LR2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
takealongline

United States 
Disco 1 or LR2?

This may sound like a ridiculous question to some, but I honestly would appreciate some feedback on this. Which one would you rather have: 1999 Land Rover Discovery I or 2007 Land Rover LR2 SE?

Assume that everything works on the Disco, that is has low miles and that it is, for all intents and purposes, the same shape it was they day it left the showroom floor. Assume, also, that is fully paid for and that you’ve cared for and fussed over this car since the day it was bought.

Assume the LR2 (Freelander 2) is, obviously, brand new, with every option on your wishlist, and it comes with a 4-year, 50,000 mile warranty, which the Disco does not have. Also assume you’ll spend about $40,000 on the new car.

Which one?

Thanks in advance.

Post #2218 3rd Apr 2007 4:53 am
gorjant

Macedonia 

For me it would be Freelander 2 (without any thought...)

Post #2221 3rd Apr 2007 7:50 am
ej

England 

I have an FL2 and it's jammed packed with all the latest technology terrain response etc it also looks the part too no question the FL2

Post #2223 3rd Apr 2007 8:17 am
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

No contest the LR2 wins on all counts Very Happy

You mention 4years warranty on the LR2, I am sure it is 3yrs in the UK
David David

Post #2226 3rd Apr 2007 9:31 am
G4LAND

Mexico 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

It doesn’t sound really partial... Confused
first question is, what is the use that you will do with your vehicle??? Way a Disco1 and not a newer Disco2 2004 MY in North America that comes with central dif lock? could have extended warranty... To be honest with you, I really like the previous Freelander and I am sure the Free2 (LR2) is lovely and an excellent car. So, if you want comfort and a very good car on road and pretty well “off road”, LR2 is the option Thumbs Up . If you want a off road machine Twisted Evil and lovely car too, I really enjoy my Disco2... Censored
I hope to drive mine in 15 days at Mexico. Very Happy

Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN, EA1HCZ

13 LR2 (FL2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

08 LR2 (FL2) SE
Tambora/Black
(Mexico GONE)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
Tangiers Orange/Black
(Spain)

13 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE SDV6
Orkney Grey / Ebony (Black)
(Spain)

07 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE TDV8
Java Black/Black
(Spain GONE)

02 DEFENDER 90 BLACK LE TD5
(Spain GONE)

09 VOLVO XC70 OCEAN RACE EDITION D5
Ocean Race Blue
(Spain)

Post #2228 3rd Apr 2007 11:01 am
CY

Scotland 

If you're seriously going to be roughing it in extreme off road conditions, regularly, then consider the Discovery.

But for everything else possible, I recommend the Freelander 2 without a degree of hesitence.

CY "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #2247 4th Apr 2007 6:38 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

And if you put off buying for a bit longer LR will have a USA compatible F2 TD4 able to run on high sulphur diesel in the next 12 months from the rumours that I've heard How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #2249 4th Apr 2007 6:44 pm
G4LAND

But tell me way he is considering a Disco1??? Bow down Disco2 or LR3 are the option. Censored Disco2 04 are on good price, and some of there have extended warranty. If not, the Fre2 (LR2)is incredible. Wink Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN, EA1HCZ

13 LR2 (FL2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

08 LR2 (FL2) SE
Tambora/Black
(Mexico GONE)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
Tangiers Orange/Black
(Spain)

(Spain)

07 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE TDV8
Java Black/Black
(Spain GONE)

02 DEFENDER 90 BLACK LE TD5
(Spain GONE)

09 VOLVO XC70 OCEAN RACE EDITION D5
Ocean Race Blue
(Spain)

Post #2255 4th Apr 2007 11:10 pm
takealongline

United States 

I'm considering the Disco I because I already own it. It's my daily driver. I'm trying to decide whether to keep it without a warranty and pay for any necessary repairs as they come, or whether to switch to a newer and more economical Land Rover and be covered by a warranty for the next 7 to 8 years (including an extended warranty).

However, one thing that I take into account is that the Disco has never, ever, broken down or left me stranded anywhere, anytime. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. (I currently also own a V8 LR3, which has been in at the dealer more times than I can remember--fuel tank replacements (two), stuck sunroof, misaligned hood!!, etc.). So for me, there is an emotional aspect to all this. Having owned such a remarkable vehicle for so many years, it's hard to replace it, especially with a new one where the bugs haven't all yet been worked out. On the other hand, sooner or later the Disco is going to break down and it's going to cost me dearly to repair it.

Post #2259 5th Apr 2007 2:32 am
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

It depends, entirely, on what you want the vehicle to do! I have a FL2 HSE, bought by my company, as a daily driver. Superb car and, judging by the ncap tests just published, a very safe place to be if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident. But it is losing money at an unbelievable rate (as do all cars), probably 2 or 3 thousand pounds when I drove it out of the dealers car park, and around 7 or 8K in the next 12 months. I`m glad I didn`t pay for it. And I wouldn`t green lane or off road it YET. (having said that I am doing a TYRO trial in it on Sunday).
I also have a `94 soft dash Classic RR, and it is wonderful. A V8 running on LPG is a wonder to behold, smooth, fast and affordable. It cost me less than the cost of the freelanders first mile (see above) and so can`t loose much more money. Repairs will not cost more than £500 this year, I hope but if its double that so what! And I can take it anywhere and not care too much - just as likely to be damaged on the supermarket car park as off road. It does have air bags , not sure about the safety in a Disco 1, but I know where I`d rather be in a crash!!
Horses for courses as they say!
Why not buy the FL2, keep the Disco and ENJOY the differences. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #2265 5th Apr 2007 9:44 am
G4LAND

Well, now I understand, but if you buy a LR2, be careful because is an excellent car, but recently development platform. So, some problems can appear during first 1 or 2 years. I am agree with you, my Disco2 is a very good car and no problem at all. You can try a 04 Disco2 with extend warranty. Good prices on it! Or if you want to be sure, still with your Disco. Thumbs Up Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN, EA1HCZ

13 LR2 (FL2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

08 LR2 (FL2) SE
Tambora/Black
(Mexico GONE)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
Tangiers Orange/Black
(Spain)