« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Waterless Coolant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ragtopmalti

Malta 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White
Waterless Coolant

Is the hype about waterless coolant all warranted? Or is there something not being said about the stuff?

Is it good for the FL2 - and if yes, which to use? Series 2a 88 - 1962
Series 2a 88 - 1962 Military under restoration
Series 3 109 - 1984
Freelander 2 105 - 2008

Post #224291 9th May 2014 1:13 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

If you are talking about WaterWetter, I think it's ok for race car use but probably OTT for road use. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #224295 9th May 2014 1:59 pm
ragtopmalti

Malta 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White

Hi Steve, no its a waterless coolant - google it. Waterwetter still uses water. This new stuff does away with water in the coolant which should have a lot of benefits. But I haven't heard of any downsides yet Series 2a 88 - 1962
Series 2a 88 - 1962 Military under restoration
Series 3 109 - 1984
Freelander 2 105 - 2008

Post #224296 9th May 2014 2:03 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Think this was discussed on the D3/4 forum recently but can't remember the outcome, a search may reveal all. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #224315 9th May 2014 4:11 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

ragtopmalti wrote:
Hi Steve, no its a waterless coolant - google it. Waterwetter still uses water. This new stuff does away with water in the coolant which should have a lot of benefits. But I haven't heard of any downsides yet

Must admit, I'd never heard of it before. Reading the bumph, it claims to work but they may be falsely claiming that water/antifreeze mixture has to be changed every 1-4 years unless Ford have been lying about their 10 year life anti-freeze that they have been using for years! Laughing

No doubt it will work but who now days has problems with the cooling system such as corrosion to waterways, alloy housings, radiators etc as long as you maintain the correct strength of coolant? Any other problems such as blown head gaskets and faulty water pumps/thermostats etc will still occur whether it had this wonder fluid or not.

With products like this as well as many other additives - fuel/oil etc. I tend to take the view that when car manufacturers start using it in vehicles from new, it must be necessary so I will use it from then.

In 1987 I bought my first new vehicle - a Bedford Rascal van to use in my mobile mechanic business. The very first thing I did when I picked it up was to add a relatively new product on the market (Slick 50) to the gearbox and axle. I planned to add it to the engine after the first service in 500 miles. It may have been an unfortunate coincidence but within 200 miles, I had to take the van back to have a complete set of gearbox bearings replaced. Didn't tell them about the additive, naturally! When I got it back I changed the axle oil and have never used additives since! Lesson learned for me. Whistle Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #224324 9th May 2014 5:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1